HAM Test Challenge - Wave 3, Apr27 - Interested? (1 Viewer)

"I'd like to finally get my HAM Radio License so I can enjoy the outdoors even more..."

• "Definitely this year. When is the next test date?"

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • "Probably not this year. I don't have the time."

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • "I'm still on the fence."

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

VE Test day is SUNDAY,... SUNDAY,... SUNDAY!

How are you guys doing on your practice test scores? Everybody still up for it?

I'm planning to be at the Red Cross Headquarters (listed in post above) at about 6:30p, so look for my LandCruiser in the parking lot. We can plan to go in as a group to make registration a bit easier on them. If you get delayed and show up late - no problem at all - knock on the door and someone will be listening to let you in.

VE Test day is SUNDAY,... SUNDAY,... SUNDAY!

How are you guys doing on your practice test scores? Everybody still up for it?

I'm planning to be at the Red Cross Headquarters (listed in post above) at about 6:30p, so look for my LandCruiser in the parking lot. We can plan to go in as a group to make registration a bit easier on them. If you get delayed and show up late - no problem at all - knock on the door and someone will be listening to let you in.

Yup I am still in. Trying to stay focused on the test content, I've already moved on to APRS, digipeaters, and Dstar....

Reposting for those who are testing on Sunday, Apr28:

"I have you on the list for the test session on Sunday evening, April 28, at 7:00 PM. Our test sessions are at the Red Cross building, 4747 N. 22nd Street, a couple blocks south of Camelback and just north of Highland. A map and photo of the building is attached. Come to the front door of the building a little before 7:00 and one of us will be there to let you in and direct you to the test room on the ground floor of the building.

"Be sure to bring a photo ID and $15.00 for the test fee. One fee covers as many elements as you want to take, but there is an additional $15 fee to repeat the same element. You also will need to know your FRN (FCC Federal Registration Number). If you do have an FRN, be sure and know it as the FCC requires it to be used instead of the social security number. If you don't have am FRN yet, you can obtain it even though you are not yet licensed by going to Universal Licensing System, and clicking on the "New User Registration" link in the “Filing” section. You must supply your Social Security Number there to obtain an FRN. I’ll attach an information sheet from the FCC website about the FRN. 73, Gary Hamman, K7GH"

See you there tomorrow!

Congratulations to our clubs 3 newest HAMateur Radio Operators!

Everyone who tested last night passed with flying colors (*The Technician element, anyway - the General test was a LOT harder!). We even had at least one 100% in the group, too - oweing to the amount of study you guys put in. Outstanding!

I mentioned this over PM, but will repeat here:

On the FCC website, you can check your license status by using a search on your F# which you set up before the test. From there, you'll see when your License is activated and what your system generated callsign will be : probably something starting with KI7,... for this region and state.

Should be up by about Thurs or Fri of this week. Let me know when you see it active, and remember - YOU did all the hard work of learning something new!

Next big step is getting on the air,

@LongDuck thanks for getting this setup, happy to finally get licensed.

Could we use this thread for some radio discussion or should I start a new one?

I am trying to decide if I *need* the ability to dual receive/transmit.... having a dedicated APRS beacon, while still maintaining regular radio operation on the second band. It seems that the Yaesu FTM-400XDR can do this while the Yaesu FTM-100DR would need to be switched off the APRS freq to transmit (although it can listen on dual frequencies?). What are your thought? Am I understanding this correctly?

Congratulations to our clubs 3 newest HAMateur Radio Operators!

Everyone who tested last night passed with flying colors (*The Technician element, anyway - the General test was a LOT harder!). We even had at least one 100% in the group, too - oweing to the amount of study you guys put in. Outstanding!

I mentioned this over PM, but will repeat here:

On the FCC website, you can check your license status by using a search on your F# which you set up before the test. From there, you'll see when your License is activated and what your system generated callsign will be : probably something starting with KI7,... for this region and state.

Should be up by about Thurs or Fri of this week. Let me know when you see it active, and remember - YOU did all the hard work of learning something new!

Next big step is getting on the air,
Thanks so much again for coordinating all this @LongDuck ! I was wondering like @Somebodyelse5 if this would be a good place to discuss radio and equipment options as well. I’m a little bit in the “happy I got the license, now what” phase. I haven’t done any equipment research at all yet so would be great to get advice from the club

Let's start a new thread and see where it goes. I think it deserves it's own discussion thread,

Same here! It’s official:bounce:

for those interested:

We should get a CSC Callsign index going

Same radio I use today (*I own two, actually...), and it's a great 2m only radio solution, mil-spec for dust intrusion and vibration resistance, and about $139 On sale at HRO!

If you end up going that route, I have the programming cable and a program that I'd be happy to lend out to get you started.

Awesome sounds like a good fit and great that I can get help with the programming.

Thomas can definitely show you all the features on that radio. It's also great because everything you need is in the box (except for the antenna). You don't have to buy a speaker, an extension cable for the faceplate, or any of the other stuff you need for some of the other radios.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom