HAM Test Challenge - Wave 3, Apr27 - Interested? (2 Viewers)

"I'd like to finally get my HAM Radio License so I can enjoy the outdoors even more..."

• "Definitely this year. When is the next test date?"

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • "Probably not this year. I don't have the time."

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • "I'm still on the fence."

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

All I did was take the sample tests online and on my phone. Just kept taking them until I consistently scored over 90%

These guys all have it right, with special thanks to @Stepmurr for providing the links and advice.

As far as study materials go, I would revise that you don't need to spend a DIME on printed books - all the information is out there for free. While having the official ARRL manual is nice for in depth explanation of radio history and theory, it goes beyond what you need to get the job done of passing the test to get your license.

As everyone else has said, the point is to get licensed. After that, I learned far more in my personal areas of interest (antennas, repeaters, etc.) as practical knowledge then I would have ever learned from a book.

Since you mentioned hamstudy.org I took a quick peek.

I recommend these from their link page at:

Printable question pool from KD7BBC
Printable question pool without distractors from KD7BBC (same as above but no distractors)
KB6NU’s No-Nonsense Study guides (free)
  • Relatively straightforward and completely free. These are a great companion to HamStudy for aspiring and current hams alike who are preparing for a radio test.
David Casler’s Youtube video guides for the license pools
  • Excellent video classes for all three US licenses
After downloading the full test question bank and reading it a few times you will recognize the correct answers from the wrong answers. The actual test is exactly like the test bank - they pull a subset of the bank for your test so there aren't any surprises or questions you haven't seen before.

Then sign up at QRZ and start taking practice exams. Once you are comfortable then take the real exam and you won't have any problems.

good lux!
Thanks for the links. I went and ordered the current (4th edition) of the book off amazon today:

I started watching David Casler’s Youtube video guides for the license pools. The book is meant to be followed along with the videos, so i figured i should get. For me sometimes having a hardcopy (vs just webpages) helps.
A tad bit confusing so far, but i'm actually finding it pretty interesting, and in general excited about learning more

update, i went and canceled the book order (save myself $30) based off @LongDuck and @Otter 's posts above. Thanks guys. I'll just keep trucking along with the online hamstudy.org flash cards, iphone app (flashcards), sample tests, and the links @Stepmurr provided. Thanks for the help guys

I did find this link helpful for the videos by David Casler. On this website they are all organized in order...vs YouTube which sorts them all out of order.

I downloaded the Ham Tech app for my iPhone. Nice to use when I'm waiting around in between appts. It's free.

Alright guys - I see 7 votes for interest in taking the Technician License Test at one of the upcoming VE Test Dates setup by W7IO. Administered the 4th SUNDAY (*EDITED) of every month, we have the entire month of March for you to study if the group wants to choose end of March for the target date.

I'll need to know beforehand who is studying for that date, and those of you interested in getting licensed will need to negotiate on March or April.

The purpose behind getting a commitment is to 1) move you down the road to study, and 2) notify the Volunteer Testers exactly who will be showing up for the test.

No pressure - but post back or PM with your commitment, and I'll add it to the first post. Thanks!

Last edited:
I have to work on the 4th Saturday of March so I can't commit to that date. However, I do not work on the 4th Saturday of April so I can attend that if that date was chosen.

PM sent with details. 4th Saturday is the 23rd of March, if this is the test date, i have a work conflict as well that morning. If the test was later in the afternoon i might still be able to do.

Test is administered at 7p at the American Red Cross building on 12th Street and Camelback. Updated the 1st post to get everyone to decide on a date:

March23 or April28 SUNDAY (*edited),

Last edited:
I'm coming back from Vegas on the 23rd so probably not going to be in top test taking form. That's the first weekend of March Madness if anyone cares. April probably would be my preferred date.

I am in for taking the test March 23rd. April is so far off I’d be worried I’d forget to much drawing it out that long

Last edited:
I'm interested if it's the April date.

Last edited:
Sorry, guys - April 28 SUNDAY (*edited) would be the 4th SUNDAY of the month!

Last edited:
I can't do the Mar 23rd date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom