HAM Test Challenge - Wave 3, Apr27 - Interested? (3 Viewers)

"I'd like to finally get my HAM Radio License so I can enjoy the outdoors even more..."

• "Definitely this year. When is the next test date?"

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • "Probably not this year. I don't have the time."

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • "I'm still on the fence."

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've got 5 votes for Apr28 (*edited for correct date, SUNDAY), 1 for March. Missing votes: @BushmanAZ & @Cruiserhiggs

That buys a little breathing room for study, if everyone's flexible to test together. PM or reply here, and I'll make contact with the VE Testing group. Thanks!

Last edited:
If anyone in Tucson wants a hand please shout out, happy to introduce you to the hobby.

Amateur radio is a hobby for almost 800,000 Americans and at least that again elsewhere around the world. What may be a convenience for us out on the tracks is as much to others as our trucks are to us, so please show some respect for the hobby and the others who enjoy it.

Make yourself aware of the basic requirements for operating and pay attention to the gentleman's agreements that amateurs operate under. No need to be a stuffy OM (look it up :)) but don't let it degenerate in to what much of CB has become.

We as amateurs have access to a huge amount of spectrum that is extremely valuable (look at what telcos pay for it!). By following some basic standards and being respectful we can continue to enjoy access.

By popular vote, April 28 SUNDAY (*edited) is the Test Date for this wave. You guys have plenty of time to study at a moderate pace with ramping it up by taking a Sample Test every day for the week ahead of the Test.

I'll post more details on the actual test date procedure, and will notify the VE Testing group of our interest for SUNDAY, APR28 at 7pm.

Last edited:
Yeah, absolutely. Getting people licensed and into the radio hobby is not dependent on LandCruiser affiliation.

When we get to registering for the VE Test Date, just keep your buddy in mind and submit his info to me with yours. I'll fill everyone in when we get closer to Apr28 SUNDAY (*edited).

Last edited:
A little over 1 month out from the Apr28 (*edited for correct date) VE Test Date. At this point, I would recommend getting into Flash Card practice on the sites listed in Post#1, along with routine practice tests about every week.

In another week or two, I'll make a final confirmation roll call and gather your personal information to submit to Gary at w7io.org as a group for the VE Test session.

Keep at it, and slow and steady (learning) wins the race!

Last edited:
I got an attention span of 10 minutes, I'm going to need to take a lot of practice questions throughout the day. :confused:

I got an attention span of 10 minutes, I'm going to need to take a lot of practice questions throughout the day. :confused:

Remember, you just need to be able to recognize the answer on a multiple choice test. It's not an essay or fill in the blank. Just get familiar with the answers.

Got my first 100% yesterday. Feel like I’m consistently passing the past couple weeks also so that’s good. Must be sinking in by now

A156A067-61E0-4262-90C5-FFB8944FE87A.png

Once you start getting high test scores, you could back off the flash cards and give yourself a break. When your brain gets full, you'll have a harder time trying to cram more in.

Nice job, and I'll be collecting confirmations and names for the VE Test Session in another week.

I'm out. Have a conference that weekend now.

@LongDuck I'm going to have to bail out on this one. I've just been way too busy at work lately to spend any time studying (or camping, or doing my brakes haha). I got a 60% on my first practice test without ever reading a word on HAM radio but I don't want to waste anyone's time trying to "wing it" on test day.

Thanks for your work coordinating everything though, much appreciated.

Matt

I'm interested as well. I would appreciate the assistance in getting a license. Thanks.

No problem for the guys that have to drop out. It's hard to find time to do these kinds of things, so sometimes.

For those still in, I'll ask that you send me a confirmation PM which includes your real name, Mud name, and your cellphone number. This information will only be shared with the VE Test group, as they have security protocols for the building where the testing is done (*Red Cross Headquarters).

Send it over to me before Friday, April 19, and I'll submit our attendee list shortly thereafter.

I'm interested as well. I would appreciate the assistance in getting a license. Thanks.
Since you are in Tucson you can take a free test once you are ready.

The Radio Society of Tucson give free exams every month.

RST | VE License Testing

Obtain your Amateur Radio license through the RST VE Licensing Team
RST sponsors a very active Volunteer Examiner Team (VE Team) via the Laurel VEC. The VE Team administers a license exam session on the second (2nd) Monday of each month at 7:00 PM. The Exam session location is listed below.

RST and Laurel VEC Cooperation
RST and the Laurel VEC have teamed together to bring to Tucson the first "FEE FREE" Amateur Radio Testing Service in Arizona. RST has been offering LARC VEC free exams and fast licensing service since 2012.

No problem for the guys that have to drop out. It's hard to find time to do these kinds of things, so sometimes.

For those still in, I'll ask that you send me a confirmation PM which includes your real name, Mud name, and your cellphone number. This information will only be shared with the VE Test group, as they have security protocols for the building where the testing is done (*Red Cross Headquarters).

Send it over to me before Friday, April 19, and I'll submit our attendee list shortly thereafter.
PM sent with info. I'm ready to rock!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom