HAM Test Challenge - Wave 3, Apr27 - Interested? (1 Viewer)

"I'd like to finally get my HAM Radio License so I can enjoy the outdoors even more..."

• "Definitely this year. When is the next test date?"

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • "Probably not this year. I don't have the time."

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • "I'm still on the fence."

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've got 3 guys confirmed. PM me if you plan to test on SUNDAY, Apr28 @7p, and I'll get you added to the list.

Will be submitting the Roster on Friday. Take care,

Last edited:
Last call!

I'm submitting our confirmed list for 3 at next week's VE Test Date of Apr28 SUNDAY (*EDITED) So far, I have confirmed @DPA200, @highwayrompin, @Somebodyelse5.

If anyone else is in but hasn't PM'd me, yet - please send a note over today. For the test date, I'll plan to meet you guys there to get you oriented and introduce you to Gary who runs the HAM club and he usually offers a quick free tour of the Red Cross headquarters radio room. Afterward, if you want to get a celebratory beer or beverage, we can plan for that, too.

Keep studying, and we're only a week away!

Last edited:
I am interested, but my study efforts are focused on the anatomy of the head, neck, and mouth for the next several weeks. I'm *not* sure I'd fair well on anything if I try to diversify.

Last edited:
Turns out I can't make the test date. My daughter's final weekend of club volleyball is next week. If anyone else is still interested maybe we can roll a group forward to a May or June test date.

HEY, guys - I have to apologize, because somehow I missed the update to their website that the Red Cross club does testing on SUNDAYS, Apr28.

Please, check your calendars and let me know if you're still in. I am very sorry, but only noticed it today when I sent in our roster...

Get back to me, here or PM if you're still in for SUNDAY, APRIL 28.

After talking to a few prospects last night, we can set up a 2nd round for stragglers in May if there's interest.

Let's get through this round, and I'll start a new thread. Thanks for everyone's understanding on the revised date, and looking forward to having some more HAMS in the club soon.

If you've not done so already, please PM me with your real name, your Mud name, and a phone number where you can be reached. Thanks,

Got a confirmation back from the VE Testing team today, as follows:

"Hi Thomas,
Thanks for promoting getting licensed with your group. Our group have changed our testing day from the 4th Saturday to the last Sunday of each month, so our next session is this Sunday, April 28, same time and place. Would you check with your three candidates to see if testing on Sunday evening is ok? We also have started sending info to ARRL via internet to speed up processing and granting of licenses. This usually means the calls are issued by the FCC by Tuesday instead of Friday following a week-end session. To do this though, we need the candidates to get their Federal Registration Number (if they don’t already have one from another FCC license) at the time of the session. Since you didn’t give me the three email addresses, I hope you will forward this info on to them. My standard response to a candidate follows. Thanks for your help, Thomas. I’d have gotten back to you sooner but I was really busy getting ready for and managing the Hamfest at DeVry on Saturday.

"I have you on the list for the test session on Sunday evening, April 28, at 7:00 PM. Our test sessions are at the Red Cross building, 4747 N. 22nd Street, a couple blocks south of Camelback and just north of Highland. A map and photo of the building is attached. Come to the front door of the building a little before 7:00 and one of us will be there to let you in and direct you to the test room on the ground floor of the building.

"Be sure to bring a photo ID and $15.00 for the test fee. One fee covers as many elements as you want to take, but there is an additional $15 fee to repeat the same element. You also will need to know your FRN (FCC Federal Registration Number). If you do have an FRN, be sure and know it as the FCC requires it to be used instead of the social security number. If you don't have am FRN yet, you can obtain it even though you are not yet licensed by going to Universal Licensing System, and clicking on the "New User Registration" link in the “Filing” section. You must supply your Social Security Number there to obtain an FRN. I’ll attach an information sheet from the FCC website about the FRN. 73, Gary Hamman, K7GH"

So, we are officially a GO for this coming Sunday. Right now, I have

@Cruiserhiggs, @DPA200, Brandon, @Somebodyelse5, and possibly a few others who showed passing interest at last Fridays CSC monthly. PM me if you want to go, and have a great week, guys.

Thanks for helping with this Longduck! Good luck to those making the effort to get their license - its worth it!

Never mind I see on the ARRL website:

6. Two number two pencils with erasers and a pen.

7. A calculator with the memory erased and formulas cleared is allowed.

Glad you got your FRN number early - you'll need it to speed up the application process. For the other guys, Gary says you'll want to create that FRN on the site linked so you have it on test day.

Should only take a few minutes,

Glad you got your FRN number early - you'll need it to speed up the application process. For the other guys, Gary says you'll want to create that FRN on the site linked so you have it on test day.

Should only take a few minutes,

Do you have any recommendations for cruiser mounted antenna’s? NMO of some sort?

I’m thinking of picking up one of these, I really like that the faceplate is detachable and can be mounted away from the body

I wrote an article here a few weeks back on 1/4 wave vertical antennas for 4x4 off-road use:

Basically, I recommend that for guys planning to do club runs because they provide the best short range coverage in all aspect ratios between trucks on varying terrain. Buy a quality Diamond product, and try to avoid MFJ - quality is expensive, but you'll appreciate it down the road.

Some guys like multi-band radios, but all you need is a simple 2m radio for any club runs. Don't over spend u less you fins yourself getting into the amateur radio hobby,

Mid-week reminder: get thee to the FCC website and get your FRN number now, so you'll have it for Test day on Sunday!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom