Half a year overland trip with ONE battery for starting & aux (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

• would you find it beneficial to have more than one solar panel (i.e. two smaller ones instead of one big one) for redundancy. What is the probability of breaking a panel?
This is quite a big panel (175W) which already does 40 Volt. You can also go with two small ones in series so you attain a higher voltage easier. The Victron MPPT unit can go up to 75 Volt, and getting to a high voltage with your solar panels is good for cloudy days with MPPT.
The big panel was fine with all the bad roads and vibrations. And in a lot of places you could always get some 12V (peak 18V) panels for not too much if you would need replacement.
However, the price of the flat lightweight flexible solar panels has come down so much that I would choose those next time, because of the weight.
  • would you make the panels removable to be able to park in shade?
Not this big panel, nor the glue on panels for next time. You could however take an (extra) set of lightweight panels to put in the sun when you're in the shade. Depends on the trip. Now we went through a hot desert but there was no place to find shade anyway.
I like to take more solar power than I actually need, so that if you only get a few hours of sun you still have enough.
  • how much of a performance difference did you find from best to worst case for the solar (say Northern Europe to Mongolia which get a LOT of sun).
That is very hard to say. Because while driving a lot the solar is less needed. And it could be sunnier in those countries but then there would also be dust build up on the panels.
As said, I like to take too much solar power so I don't have to worry about it.

However, parking in a Japanese skyscraper city had its consequences (in winter). When we were really using heating and stuff in the van. If just parked and running the fridge, no problem.

I'd love a second battery in my LX but not at the expense of losing my AHC. I carry a heavy duty lithium jump starter and use the Toyo battery specified for the LX. In my van, I have two group 27 house batteries so I've never worried too much with that rig but, so far, neither has left me stranded. But as I travel alone, I am more cautious about how deep in I might go somewhere, especially if there's a risk of inclement weather.

A single battery is enough until it fails and you are in the middle of the bush with no town nearby and no other vehicle around to jump start you. Then you are in deep trouble.

Batteries can drop a cell and they will not charge and will not start a vehicle (too high impedance). The can do that with very little warning. All good one day, dead as a door nail the next.

To me, that is the main reason for an independent aux battery. Yes, it can provide power to a fridge and camp lights, but that is a bonus.

cheers,
george.
Im so glad that I read all the comments before saying what you already said, I go places where Im alone and totally on my own, I subscribe to Naohs theory two of everything. and if I was one of the kids with stereos and amps, and TV etc I would consider a seperate 3rd battery for just them. JMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom