H55F Transmission Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

goodtwin

SILVER Star
Threads
So, I am planning on doing a transmission replacement in my 1986 HJ60 here in about a month or two. I'll be getting a new H55F from a local Toyota dealership.
All other parts such as the clutch kit and a transfer case rebuild kit, I will be getting from @cruiseroutfit
I'm also resealing the front axle, replacing the rear pinion bearing(s)/seal, replacing U-joints in the drive shafts and a few other things, but that's another story.

Do you guys think that rebuilding the transfer case is a good idea while I'm at it, or do you think that's not necessary if I don't seem to actually have a problem?
Any other recommendations while I'm in there?

At this point everything is worn beyond spec. There's no harm except to your wallet rebuilding everything cuz everything could use it. So no guilt attached. Anything you choose to rebuilt can use the TLC

Absolutely rebuild and inspect internal components of your tcase. In addition to the t-case rebuild kits. We stock all of the internal shafts, gears, collars and forks should you get in there and find something out of whack. Look for excessive internal spline wear on the input gear, seal surface damage on flanges, etc.

An alternative (albeit more $$) is just doing a complete new transfer case. If you but the trans/tcase/parts from us (very competitive price) we assemble the trans & tcase combo for free. So you get shipped a complete and ready to install setup.

Using these brand new Toyota cases

IMG_20200124_110053_290.jpg

We ship you this :D

FB_IMG_1579896555236.jpg

If you are doing the h55f swap on an early 60 (1981), would I need to switch out the tcase for a later model as well as h55f?

If you are doing the h55f swap on an early 60 (1981), would I need to switch out the tcase for a later model as well as h55f?

Likely yes... the US spec 8/80' - 10/82' split t-case doesn't have the provisions for a 5th gear oiler cup which just as it sounds oils the 5th gear of the H55F. That said, there are some out there that have used these cases and not run the oiler. I can't speak to how it impacts, noise and longevity of the H55F but we simply don't recommend it. Used 34/38mm t-cases with the oiler provision can be had in the $200-500 range pretty regularly. I'd go that route or a new case personally.

Your web site had a ton of great info on the subject. I have a non-us spec 60. Has anyone ever seen an early model with the 5th gear Oiler cup?

Absolutely rebuild and inspect internal components of your tcase. In addition to the t-case rebuild kits. We stock all of the internal shafts, gears, collars and forks should you get in there and find something out of whack. Look for excessive internal spline wear on the input gear, seal surface damage on flanges, etc.

An alternative (albeit more $$) is just doing a complete new transfer case. If you but the trans/tcase/parts from us (very competitive price) we assemble the trans & tcase combo for free. So you get shipped a complete and ready to install setup.

Using these brand new Toyota cases

View attachment 2268990

We ship you this :D

View attachment 2268992
^^^^ If I was doing this, that would be absolutely the way I would go. No messing around. Ollie builds them well. Totally plug and play too. Boom!

SO tempting because of the time and energy I could save (not to mention frustration, I'm sure), but I feel like I want the challenge.
I mean, I'm already gonna be getting dirty and gettin' after it just by removing everything, installing a new clutch and re-installing.
I think I'm mentally prepared for a transfer case rebuild.
Does that sound ill informed?

Your web site had a ton of great info on the subject. I have a non-us spec 60. Has anyone ever seen an early model with the 5th gear Oiler cup?

I'd have to give that some thought. There were 1pc t-cases mated to 5spds, I dont think they oiled in the same fashion, I'd have to peek.

SO tempting because of the time and energy I could save (not to mention frustration, I'm sure), but I feel like I want the challenge.
I mean, I'm already gonna be getting dirty and gettin' after it just by removing everything, installing a new clutch and re-installing.
I think I'm mentally prepared for a transfer case rebuild.
Does that sound ill informed?

Not at all. Rebuilding a tcase is quite satisfying imo and it's definitely frees up money for other mods.

I don't recall ever seeing any, at least in US spec rigs. it is fairly easy to check your existing transfer case. if you remove the PTO cover plate, you can look or feel behind the input gear for the bump out in the front of the case.
there was a thread within the last month where this was discussed,it may have been in the classifieds.

there's pics of the oiler provision front and back near the end of this thread

I put a 5-speed on my '84 JF60 - I had to add the oiler cup, but it all seemed to work just fine. I only had 129K on the transfer, so I just replaced the input/output seals while I was in there. I have notes and pics on it if you want them. I got the oiler cup from SOR.

Here are some pics. I had to modify the shifter too. I just turned an end, then welded it on.

shifter-mod1.JPG

shifter-mod5.JPG

5th-gear-oiler21.jpg

The last pic is with the oiler in place. It's such a tiny little part, but it oils that gear that might not get enough oil otherwise.

The plastic end cap for the shifter won't fit the 4 speed. I probably have the records on what I bought from SOR, but as I recall the shipping for those parts was more than the parts themselves.

There are some 5-speed shift knobs that will work. It turns out that Jeep knob has the correct 5-speed orientation. This is another option:
I want to say that thread is 12mmx1.25, but I will check.

shift-knob16.jpg

shift-knob11.jpg

shift-knob17.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom