H55F into FJ62 - parking brake question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
theewhitemouse.tumblr.com
Very close to getting all my parts to get my FJ62 to become a 5 speed. Tranny comes this week as well as my pallet O parts for the conversion essentials. Until then Im dorking out on the FSM and many many many posts on mud.

One question I cannot find a definitive answer to is the parking brake kit Ive seen being sold by some retailers. Can I run my normal parking brake from my rig? or do I need to add a T- case brake kit like the ones Ive seen around.

Thanks!

Why couldn't you use your normal parking brake? It's completely independent from the transmission

Okay I'll be more assertive. There is no reason you couldn't use you're stock parking brake. If the h55f comes with its own parking brake (kind of like the 40's do) then you have an option, but it's not going to somehow make your existing parking system not work. Also, if you do have that option, stick with stock. It's better having a break at each wheel than the drive shaft. I had a scary experience where my e-brake wasn't working so I would always leave my truck in gear. Well I parked on a slippery incline, there wasn't even traction with the wheels, and next thing I know I'm looking back at my truck sliding backwards with one of the rear wheel spinning forwards. Looked like it was doing the moonwalk. I was just lucky enough to chase it down, jump in the moving truck and hit the brakes before it slid into a busy road

There are 5 points where the emergency/hand/parking brake cable is attached to the body, never to the transmission.
TSK part # 46410-60101-C

2_82e51f820790bf6e4e02e6559fc78685_t.jpg

2_eaf94fa53141cb6ca15a3bccd6bf3593_t.jpg

But in this topic, there is an extra mounted disk, I thought is was April fools but it is real,

parking-disc-brake-2-jpg.1347705

Last edited:
unless your truck has been tweaked/modified/molested - either by you or some other owner... your FJ62 parking brake is a cable attached to the rear drum brakes through that bell crank thing.

there is no part of your H55 swap that involves anything to do with the hand brake - unless the rear end has been updated to disc brakes or rear axle upgrade from a newer 80 series and your rig doesn't have rear drum brakes? do you have a working hand brake now?

that drive line disc brake kit you're seeing for sale is a solution to address losing the parking brake on our 60 series rigs that have been upgraded to rear disc brakes...the stock hand brake system for our drum brake trucks doesnt work for rear disc conversions.

hope that helps. also - i did my H55 swap on my 62 last year...hit me up if you have questions or need help.

The parking brake on the Transfer case is if the rear brakes have been converted to disc, eliminating the stock E-brake, in most cases, unless the calipers used have an E-brake function. Most don't.

The TSM t'case brake pictured above is kind of a modern version of what is on 40-series as the early ones do not have drum E-brake.

If your truck still has the rear drums, you don't need the above T'case brake.

i have an h55 in my fj62 and it is independent of the transfercase. you don’t need to do any modification. stock works as normal. what you will need to do is make sure the park brake is actually working. with the automatic tranny the ebrake often doesn’t get used and the bell cranks get corroded and stuck. i had to take my brakes apart and clean them up. since then because i use it every day it keeps it free and moving smoothly. just double check it works before you actually need it!

unless your truck has been tweaked/modified/molested - either by you or some other owner... your FJ62 parking brake is a cable attached to the rear drum brakes through that bell crank thing.

there is no part of your H55 swap that involves anything to do with the hand brake - unless the rear end has been updated to disc brakes or rear axle upgrade from a newer 80 series and your rig doesn't have rear drum brakes? do you have a working hand brake now?

that drive line disc brake kit you're seeing for sale is a solution to address losing the parking brake on our 60 series rigs that have been upgraded to rear disc brakes...the stock hand brake system for our drum brake trucks doesnt work for rear disc conversions.

hope that helps. also - i did my H55 swap on my 62 last year...hit me up if you have questions or need help.
Thanks Paul -I actually dont know how I havent seen your thread on your swap till this afternoon. I was searching for an answer to my Aisin clutch kit bearing looking very much different than stock and found your swap. Wealth of knowledge that I needed so thank you for that! Ill hit you up for sure when I hit a wall.

@FJHAIRSPRAY can you document your h55 install with lots of pics/part numbers/lessons learned?

what threads have you found most helpful?

thanks!

@NearJetties Ill do my best - Im terrible at taking photos just because my hands are typically covered in grease. But If I come across anything that hasn't already been documented elsewhere Ill take a shot. Once Im done Ill write up something to add to the H55f swap archives. Got the beast A440f out tonight without too much trouble so Im hoping to make quick progress. Except 100 pounds of essential parts from cruiserparts is lost right now by fedex. Im guessing the box exploded and fedex has just given up. So thats fun huh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom