H55f help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, I have been offered an H55f trans and tcase for a deal that Is so good I don't want to turn it down. But it is a used tranny and I am a bit Leary of that. The seller stated that it came out of a vehicle with approx 140000km. Basically I need your advice should I buy it and install it in my FJ62 or should I just go with the brand-new trans.

If the price is good, buy it eyes closed.

over where i live their price is aroud 2000usd for a used and abused one.

Transmissions last more than the engines, probably 2 or 3 engine lifes, so you've got transmission for a long time there.

depends what they are asking. Ask Georg at Valley Hybrids for opinion (@orangefj45) He just installed one for me

Used should be fine, check the gear oil for metalic junk but otherwise..... I would expect that sub $1000 for the tranny would qualify as a decent deal. Dunno what you have on the table...

Less than a grand. I will check the oil. I believe that I need the 10spline input shaft for this to mate to my 3fe. Correct?

Just had a H55f installed at ACC TOYOTA in Georgia. They replaced the drive shafts and rebuilt the transfer case at the same time. Best mod you couldH

Mod you can do, Very Very low 1st gear with stock tires.

20140804_141050.jpg

The transmission mount also changes.

Biased opinion: if you have the money for a new it is a no brainer to go in this direction.

I am not a fan of used parts when new is available.

Biased opinion: if you have the money for a new it is a no brainer to go in this direction.

I am not a fan of used parts when new is available.

Thanks Beno. I totally agree with going new when it's available. But this price is pretty cheap. Maybe because somethings wrong with it I don't know. I was going to buy it and sit on it anyways until I had all the other parts collected so maybe I should wait and buy new

Wear on the input splines may be an indicator, a low miles unit should have little wear. Check the play in the gates, can help to get an idea if advertised miles are accurate.

Whelp. I pulled the trigger. I could not pass it up for 500 bucks. Including the T case. The way I see it I will get it installed and ready to go. If I have any issues with it I will get a new H55 and drop it in!

Last edited:
$500 seems like a good gamble to me! For that price, you can afford to put in new bearings and a synchro or
2 when you swap the input shaft, replace transfer case bearings, and still be money ahead.

t

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom