H55F Full Service Manual with "mechanics notes" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.mapleroseexplorations.ca
Hello everyone.

I'm just getting to the tail end of a h55f rebuild. I had the FSM for the whole thing and it was extremely helpful, but I think we can do better. As I was going through I was making notes in the book about small things. Stuff like where you can use a brass drift instead of a $1200 SST and to lightly coat parts in oil before assembly and "it is easier to put this seal/part in now rather than waiting and having to use a press..." that kind of thing. Also there were a couple of things it just completely forgot to tell me to do like put int he reverse idler shaft snap ring and the 4/4-4/2 selector shaft seal. I was doing this in case I needed to do the rebuild again and because I know one or two guys who plan on doing a rebuild in the future and wanted to make life easier on them. That and I wanted to assemble a sort of "Haynes "manual for the my build (Rosie the Riveter). Complete with engine and trans disassembly and repair instructions, but I digress.

My point is I was making notes and highlighting important things in the book and thought it sure would have been nice to have this from the get go. So I thought I would put it out there. Anyone done a h55f rebuild before and have some helpful pointers? I figured that we could get together one night go over the book and make a tonne of notes and then I can take it home and make a "good" copy then scan it and post the FSM "Mechanic Note Edition" on here for the landcruisering world to use.

Thoughts?

p.s. I will be VERY busy until the 7th of next month then I am doing a road trip to Kansas then San Diego then back up here for the 28th. thus rebuilding the trans. Were taking Rosie if I can get it finished...

If we do get together it wont be until after the 28th of next month.

Last edited:
Thoughts?! What a really good idea. I have intentions of rebuilding a trans or two in the near future.
Any notes would be gold. I haven't built one though, so I have no input. But I would sure appreciate it. J

Two thumbs up...not sure how I missed this...

I could use that manual now :( Are you still using it, or would you care to pass it on?

I could use that manual now :( Are you still using it, or would you care to pass it on?
what happened to your trans? I had five speed that broke a snap ring on the second gear... and another that broke the counter shaft...
IMG_2293.JPG

I've got one with a blown lower idler gear. I have completely lost 5th gear on the 60, kind of a parking spot
for the shifter but it's just a hole of nothingness now. Plus new Bosch alternator and Jaylec starter for the 60.
Everything kind of went to hell....

This is what $3800, the internet, connections in Australia and US will get you. Don't forget taxes....

IMG_3746.JPG

Ouch! Looks good though. I have never had any regrets spending wheelbarrows full of money on my cruisers. Nice to have some shiny new parts!

@LittleJohn is alive!!! I seen him driving out of town this morning. Actually him might have been a her! :princess: So maybe he isn't...

Hello everyone.

I'm just getting to the tail end of a h55f rebuild. I had the FSM for the whole thing and it was extremely helpful, but I think we can do better. As I was going through I was making notes in the book about small things. Stuff like where you can use a brass drift instead of a $1200 SST and to lightly coat parts in oil before assembly and "it is easier to put this seal/part in now rather than waiting and having to use a press..." that kind of thing. Also there were a couple of things it just completely forgot to tell me to do like put int he reverse idler shaft snap ring and the 4/4-4/2 selector shaft seal. I was doing this in case I needed to do the rebuild again and because I know one or two guys who plan on doing a rebuild in the future and wanted to make life easier on them. That and I wanted to assemble a sort of "Haynes "manual for the my build (Rosie the Riveter). Complete with engine and trans disassembly and repair instructions, but I digress.

My point is I was making notes and highlighting important things in the book and thought it sure would have been nice to have this from the get go. So I thought I would put it out there. Anyone done a h55f rebuild before and have some helpful pointers? I figured that we could get together one night go over the book and make a tonne of notes and then I can take it home and make a "good" copy then scan it and post the FSM "Mechanic Note Edition" on here for the landcruisering world to use.

Thoughts?

p.s. I will be VERY busy until the 7th of next month then I am doing a road trip to Kansas then San Diego then back up here for the 28th. thus rebuilding the trans. Were taking Rosie if I can get it finished...

If we do get together it wont be until after the 28th of next month.
Did this ultimate manual ever get assembled? I am starting an h55f swap and this would be great to have!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom