H55 tips (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi 60 series crew!

I know this is a heavily-worn path, but I am doing a H55 swap next weekend, and getting my ducks in a row. I have solicited the generous help from @Rainman , who lives near me, as well as key parts and advice from @ukaviator and @Monty231

Here is what I have:

1988 Fj62
H42 four speed (early 60 version) mated to a mechanical split case
4wd dash light comes on when transfer case is engaged in H4 or L4

ACC in Atlanta did this 4 speed swap about 10-12 years ago, and did it right.

I have a new OEM clutch and rear main seal.

My question is: can the H55 work directly with the transfer case I have currently? That would be great since it is not vacuum driven and fully mechanical linkage.

Any advice or tips in advance would be great

cheers,

Joel

The 5 speed is longer than the old 4 speed (but not the newer 4 speed) so it's not going to be a simple bolt up. You can use your transfer case but the driveshafts will have to be modified because the transfer case will be moved rearwards several inches.
Not sure how that will impact the transfer shifting geometry in the cab compared to what you're got

It depends on the production date of the transfer case. IIRC the front case half changed in 10/82. The early split cases don't have the provision for the 5th gear oiler cup. Some MUD members don't believe the oiler cup is really necessary.

The transmission/tcase and bellhousing all came from a donor truck (‘84).

so due to the length of the H55, the Tcase linkage may not fit in the current position?

The transmission/tcase and bellhousing all came from a donor truck (‘84).

so due to the length of the H55, the Tcase linkage may not fit in the current position?

You will need to source the later shifter linkage or go with an aftermarket twin stick kit.

I do know that I don’t have the spacer in my four speed transmission...

Here’s a pic at the back of the tranny right where it meets the case

excuse the grease from the rear main leak!

C6EF1688-1538-4B46-92B7-806F94FFDCB5.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom