H151F Replacing Synchros on a '96 J80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, since I bought my J80, the 3rd gear grinds... In the past it used to grind some times but now it grinds every time and now 4rd gear started to grind as well.
1st, 2nd & 5th are fine however I will replace all synchros. I am using 75w90 GL4+ oil on the trans right now, GL4+ means is a blend of GL4 and GL5.
My question is... My J80 is 1996, has a H151f on it and the code of the car on toyodiy is: HDJ80L-GNMEX
On toyodiy I can see this:

There are 2 codes for each Syncho Set, how do I know which one should I buy for my transmission?
Should I use:

33037-60011
33038-60011
33039-60011
?
Will be better if I just take my car to Toyota to get the correct part #?

Thanks,

Rob.

The different part numbers appear to be based on production date. You'll have to determine when yours was built and buy the correct part based on that date

Okay, according to the papers, it was sold on January 18th 1996.
So it should have been manufactured on 1995?
This is the plate on the firewall.

Okay so, according to Toyodiy mine was produced on 1994 actually:

Okay got it, thank you guys, Toyodiy is now listing only the ones I mentioned:

Will buy all these 3.

I had some issues with my clutch past month and it was too hard to shift gears, I drove like this for a week. When I fixed my clutch I noticed the grinding got way worse on 3rd and now 4th was showing the same behavior which was not happening before, I broke the Synchros for sure, not sure if the oil is safe for the bronce synchros, I will get some Toyota GL4 oil tomorrow morning.

How is your shifter seat and bushing? I thought my synchros were bad on 2 and 3 until I pulled my shifter and found the bushing was broken and the shifter seat brittle, hard and was 70% missing. I just replaced both and shifting problems were all fixed.

How is your shifter seat and bushing? I thought my synchros were bad on 2 and 3 until I pulled my shifter and found the bushing was broken and the shifter seat brittle, hard and was 70% missing. I just replaced both and shifting problems were all fixed.

Will check that as soon as I can.

The shift seat on my H151F was also shot and it's a cheap part to replace. As for oil, I cannot recommend the Redline full Synthetic enough. It solved all my shifting issues/hard shifting with the H151F and I run it in ALL of my Toyota manual transmissions now

The shifter bush is a $10 part. Easy to check, easy to replace. 20 minute job.

I agree with @Rock40 oil used is very important for these boxes, and keep it fresh. I'd try a different oil bride tearing down.

I've had great results using Castrol VMX-M.
it's a GL4 oil, 75w85 (slightly lighter than this spec) friction modified oil.
My current FZJ80 with H151 was terrible to shift when I bought it, changed it the oil to VMX-M, took a week for it to fully settle in, but it's been great.
I've put 20k km on it since, and think I need to freshen it up, it's getting a bit notchy again

I just bought 4 liters of these:

Hopefully it will work fine. If not I will try the Castrol VMX-M.

Can anyone point me in the direction of where to buy the shifter seat and bushing? For a h151f. I can’t find anything except for the r151

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom