GX470 non-nav speakers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings, new to this forum, you all seem to have a much greater knowledge of what's going on with these vehicles vs the club site. I've had my GX for about 30k miles and love it, and by browsing this forum I seem to have really gotten lucky in finding a non-nav, kdss sport model locally at a decent price. I did't really know they were rare when I was shopping for one, I just wanted non-nav and snagged the first one I found.

My passenger front door 6x9 is blown. I found a ton of info on the ML stereo systems, but I don't need that. I want to just get confirmation from you all that the system is in fact 4ohm for the non-nav? I assume most 4ohm 6x9's will work but I'm guessing I don't want a 3-way. Am I looking for a 2-way speaker, subwoofer, or full range? I don't know speakers well enough to know the terminology to find the right speaker. Have you all seen a tutorial or recommended parts list for replacing the non-nav speakers but keeping the stock head unit?

If I'm replacing a blown 6x9, should I replace the 2" and 1" also, and what about the rear doors, are they 6x9 also?

Thanks.. i have some other issues that I'll post about later, hope you all can help get my ride back to 100%.

Last edited:
I just had my non ML system totally replaced ... Pioneer head unit with Carplay, and JBL Stadium GTO 960C, 6x9 component set and added the 2" mid for the front doors, the rear doors got some Alpine 6.5" coaxial I had left over from a previous vehicle. All powered by a JL Audio 900/5HD amp. I am still working on the sub setup as when I started I had no clue what the factory sub was, its a 6.5", and I thought it was an 8". Now that I am home from Hammers I will get back after it.

There was a lot of discussion on ML replacement speakers on GXOR. I believe you can just get 4ohm speakers to match and replace at will.

I also have not found much info on the non-ml system speakers. We do know tgat they are 4 ohm and use the pioneer amp. I’m thinking I’ll eventually replace the lower speaker with a 6.5 or 6.75 component set and just eliminate the middle speaker. I’m not sure how all the crossover and stuff work on the oem setup. I’ll replace the rear doors with a 6.75 2 or 3 way. Replace the sub with Kicker 6.75 shallow mount. I’m going to try and maintain the current oem pioneer amp for now.
Switching out my head unit this weekend for an Android unit.

Btw, you can not search on gxor if you don’t have fb or at least I’ve never figured it out. “No results found”

Last edited:
Try this link from crutchfield. If it doesn't work then you can use their selector tool.

I just did this replacement like 3 weeks ago. Surprisingly straightforward to fix actually, and I'm not particularly handy.
I used these speakers

You will need these brackets

And these plugs

I did have to solder the wiring directly to the woofers because the crimp connectors didn't attach to the leads on the speaker.

No problems, everything sounds good. But then I discovered my driver side tweeter was no longer working too. Never ends.

Bookmark for future work in summer months. Speakers are horrible and distorted.

I also have not found much info on the non-ml system speakers. We do know tgat they are 4 ohm and use the pioneer amp. I’m thinking I’ll eventually replace the lower speaker with a 6.5 or 6.75 component set and just eliminate the middle speaker. I’m not sure how all the crossover and stuff work on the oem setup. I’ll replace the rear doors with a 6.75 2 or 3 way. Replace the sub with Kicker 6.75 shallow mount. I’m going to try and maintain the current oem pioneer amp for now.
Switching out my head unit this weekend for an Android unit.

Btw, you can not search on gxor if you don’t have fb or at least I’ve never figured it out. “No results found”

I'd like to echo this: does the factory amp output filtered signals for each speaker?

I believe/hope it does so I don't have to mess with finding a location to install the crossovers. I'd like to just pop the speakers in, install sound deadening, and go.

There was a lot of discussion on ML replacement speakers on GXOR. I believe you can just get 4ohm speakers to match and replace at will.
Is this true? Can’t find a 8ohm 6x9 for the life of me. Can you just replace the 6x9’s and keep the rest of the 8ohm speakers in the system?
Sorry for the hijack!

Is this true? Can’t find a 8ohm 6x9 for the life of me. Can you just replace the 6x9’s and keep the rest of the 8ohm speakers in the system?
Sorry for the hijack!

no you cannot. ML systems have to keep 8 ohm or similar. To switch to 4 ohm you would need to change the amplifier as well, I believe.

I replaced my front door 8-ohm ML speakers with pioneer 4-ohm speakers and no issues in two years.

Everything else in the system like wires, stereo, amp, speakers, and navigation system are stock ML components.

no you cannot. ML systems have to keep 8 ohm or similar. To switch to 4 ohm you would need to change the amplifier as well, I believe.
I replaced my front door 8-ohm ML speakers with pioneer 4-ohm speakers and no issues in two years.

Everything else in the system like wires, stereo, amp, speakers, and navigation system are stock ML components.

So if I understand correctly 4ohm speakers draw twice the power. If I am not rocking the music on full blast I should be fine. 8ohm would be the way to go but 4ohm will work.

Yes, and furthermore, the linked article says that speakers operate at range of ohms depending on music and volume,

So if I understand correctly 4ohm speakers draw twice the power. If I am not rocking the music on full blast I should be fine. 8ohm would be the way to go but 4ohm will work.

So yes, technically, like HomersCanyonero said. I was trying to make a simple blanket statement since others have blown their amps listening to music too loudly with 4ohm speakers on an ML from what I had read researching non-nav audio for my truck. Everyone's music and volume preferences are different so its not a one size fit all, but I didn't want to say yes and you end up being a volume level 50 kinda guy and overheat your amp a week later :)

So yes, technically, like HomersCanyonero said. I was trying to make a simple blanket statement since others have blown their amps listening to music too loudly with 4ohm speakers on an ML from what I had read researching non-nav audio for my truck. Everyone's music and volume preferences are different so its not a one size fit all, but I didn't want to say yes and you end up being a volume level 50 kinda guy and overheat your amp a week later :)

So would you say these work for an ML nav-type of front door speaker replacements?

In terms of the ohms, yes it works. In terms of the dimensions, I don’t remember the stock oem dimensions.

I just remember that the stock front door speakers come in a casing that was removed

In terms of the ohms, yes it works. In terms of the dimensions, I don’t remember the stock oem dimensions.

I just remember that the stock front door speakers come in a casing that was removed
That was removed? as in, I'll need to remove it, in order to install these? Sorry, I haven't purchased them yet, so I haven't gotten around to removing the door panel to investigate. Thanks for the reply. 👍

I’m not home and don’t have access to the removed speakers to show you a photo of the front door enclosure that was removed with the factory oem front door speakers.

On my sons 96FZJ, we replaced the front door speakers ourselves and I had all the speaker details like depth, mounting hole locations, ohm, etc.

On the gx470, I got lazy and took it to a stereo shop to do it. They installed 6x9 pioneers using a mounting bracket and returned my stock oem front door speakers attached to the enclosure/casing.

Might want to search YouTube for videos.

Maybe the casing is nothing more than the factory stock bracket as shown in this picture

I think that factory bracket is what I was thinking was an enclosure.

Maybe the casing is nothing more than the factory stock bracket as shown in this picture

I think that factory bracket is what I was thinking was an enclosure.

Ahh okay. Makes more sense now.

I may try and order them and tackle this when it arrives.
Thanks for the info/Picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom