GX460 Transmission fluid cooler (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's great info, thank you. Can you post a link to the Torque Pro kit you're using if you are so for iPhone? Guessing the "best" option for watching temps would be something like the ScanGauge, but that's not particularly cheap.
I have the $25 OBDII adapter listed below:
Amazon product ASIN B078K54MT5
The adapter is generic. Mine is WiFi based (not Bluetooth) and works via the aftermarket Phoenix PX6 head unit in my GX (as a basic Android app that costs $5 on Google Play). Unfortunately I think TorquePro is Android-only, so you may need to find a different app, but I am sure there are multiple iPhone apps that will do the same thing. Since mine runs on the PX6 I have a full-screen dashboard that shows stuff like coolant temp, IAT, engine RPM, GPS speed, air/fuel ratio, etc. It's really handy for watching the vitals on the rig when I'm pushing it hard.

FYI, Toyota transmission temperature is not a default sensor reading in most of those apps. You have to enter a custom PID equation. There are a couple different versions out there, I nabbed one from either a Tacoma or 4Runner forum that works for my GX.

Here is another option that has a canned app and good reviews:
Amazon product ASIN B00652G4TS

Last edited:
I know this one is considerably more expensive:
Amazon product ASIN B07JFRFJG6But is also has individual tire pressures and temperatures for each of the 5 tires.
I believe it can also give more codes. Not sure, but Acrad may be able to give some reasons this is better than a $40.00 generic one.
Personally, I've had both, and for me the OBDLink MX+ seems to be a lot better than my cheap one. Albeit, I purchased the cheap one about 15 years ago, so take that into consideration.

I have the MK+ as well @Roody. Some slight connectivity issues. Sometimes it doesn’t like to connect but in that case I just restart it and it’s fine. I don’t use it on the daily. Because you got the CarPlay mod you can get the display screens from the obd on the main screen! that’s what I really want to do.

Reactions: r2m
I pull my square drop camper which weighs around what you are pulling and have had no issues. 2013 with 145k miles, lifted on MT’s.

IMG_0715.jpeg

Make sure you update the firmware on your OBD Link adapters… I like that it get regular fixes

No regrets with regular AT fluid changes, monitoring my AT temperatures, and adding an external AT cooler. Cheap insurance even if no guarantees.

IMG_1051.jpeg

Last edited:
Not to derail the thread, but how's that Gladiator tow compared to 460?
No first-hand experience with the jeep. I met them for the first time during this trip. They didn't seem to have any complaints. Although, we went through a lot of mud on this trip as it rained a good bit. Their square drop was COVERED in mud where mine had about 1/4 of what theirs had. :meh:

Make sure you update the firmware on your OBD Link adapters… I like that it get regular fixes

No regrets with regular AT fluid changes, monitoring my AT temperatures, and adding an external AT cooler. Cheap insurance even if no guarantees.

View attachment 3341592
Yeah I need to update for sure, thanks for the link. I think there has been a couple updates since I purchased it. And because I don’t use it often, the auto update hasn’t had a chance to do its thing. I wish I had CarPlay so I could have it on the screen. I hate messing with my phone while driving. I got a ticket a couple months ago for being on my cell, when I was just trying to get it to connect to my other cars Bluetooth so I could be hands free lmao. Side note: I’m pumped there is another option besides the GROM for 10-13s, but that beat sonic module is crazy expensive.

I've finally gotten around to ordering all the parts for this, a little under $500 for all. I'm not towing, nor do I have super large tires but I'm still seeing 200F+ temps on my ATF so any reduction in that would be great.
Thanks all for the detailed documentation on this.

Now to maybe investigate a power steering cooler upgrade...

I've finally gotten around to ordering all the parts for this, a little under $500 for all. I'm not towing, nor do I have super large tires but I'm still seeing 200F+ temps on my ATF so any reduction in that would be great.
Thanks all for the detailed documentation on this.

Now to maybe investigate a power steering cooler upgrade...
I too just ordered these parts, and coming in around the same price. Not sure if I will install myself; will get quotes from local Toyota / Lexus mechanics.

I too just ordered these parts, and coming in around the same price. Not sure if I will install myself; will get quotes from local Toyota / Lexus mechanics.
I'm gonna install it myself, I think I can knock it out in a Sunday morning :)

Happy to report on my experience. Decided to go with the OEM AT Cooler. Purchased the parts from various vendors (CarMarka, OEM Vehicle Parts) for ~ $500. Had the install done by The Truck Shop in San Diego for $240.

Shout out to The Truck Shop in SoCal. These guys know Toyota trucks, stock a lot of parts, do quality work, and at a reasonable price. (For reference, was quoted $500 for the install by a Lexus dealership).

Was seeing Temps as high as 215 ish in various driving conditions (traffic, 7% grades, etc.) without towing. Will monitor temps with both AT coolers (water-to-oil and air-to-oil) in series and report back...

Last edited:
Happy to report on my experience. Decided to go with the OEM AT Cooler. Purchased the parts from various vendors (CarMarka, OEM Vehicle Parts) for ~ $500. Had the install done by The Truck Shop in San Diego for $240.

Shout out to The Truck Shop in SoCal. These guys know Toyota trucks, stock a lot of parts, do quality work, and at a reasonable price. (For reference, was quoted $500 for the install by a Lexus dealership).

Was seeing Temps as high as 215 ish in various driving conditions (traffic, 7% grades, etc.) without towing. Will monitor temps with both AT coolers (water-to-oil and air-to-oil) in series and report back...

You need to also ensure the trans fluid level is correct, toyota transmissions are very sensitive to fluid levels, and through my own personal experience found that the trans ran 10-20* warmer even when slightly low on fluid.

I just installed mine today and drove it for about 10 miles. Definitely about 10-20 degrees cooler at speed, not really any different in stop and go city driving.
Overall happy with the results. Gonna drive it more extensively this weekend on the freeway and check the temps.

I didn't lose any fluid opening up the lines, just a small drop. The car had been sitting for a few days in the garage so everything probably drained back in the transmission.
Looking at the owner's manual, models with the cooler take an additional 200mL of WS fluid; so I added about 250mL or so to the transmission (extra 50mL on accident).
I should probably do a proper fluid level check tomorrow, but I'm sure it's probably really close.

Thanks for all the steps outlined everyone, the install was really easy. I didn't even remove my front bumper or grill, just the radiator cover, front skid plate, and battery.

Not sure if this has been asked on this thread yet, but what's a safe range for "Transmission 1" and Transmission 2" temperatures?
I'm running the OBDLink MX+ and for my phone display I have: Engine Temp, and BOTH Trans 1 and Trans 2 temps (along with a couple other gauges).
I notice that Trans 2 is almost always about 5 to 10 degrees hotter than Trans 1.
Also, on our road trips, the average running temps on both Trans 1 & 2 are usually in the high 190° to 220° temps with Trans 2 dipping into high 230° for only a moment or two.
Note my engine temps are always in the low to mid 190° range so no worries there.

There seems to be a lot of debate on this. See the chart below from TCI:

With a good full-synthetic fluid (note that Toyota WS is not a full synthetic fluid), the fluid should be OK at higher temps. Personally I have upgraded and drive my rig so the trans temp never really gets above 200F other than for a couple of minutes towing on crazy grades, a couple of times per year. 170F-185F is normal in the summer.

If you are normally above 200F I'd change the fluid every 30K and upgrade the cooler. Both are cheap and easy.

My understanding is that trans 2 is a sensor in the torque converter and trans 1 is in the pan. I.e T1 is the overall temp and T2 is the highest spot temp.

I go by T1 when setting the fluid level and also when monitoring the transmission.

Not sure if this has been asked on this thread yet, but what's a safe range for "Transmission 1" and Transmission 2" temperatures?
I'm running the OBDLink MX+ and for my phone display I have: Engine Temp, and BOTH Trans 1 and Trans 2 temps (along with a couple other gauges).
I notice that Trans 2 is almost always about 5 to 10 degrees hotter than Trans 1.
Also, on our road trips, the average running temps on both Trans 1 & 2 are usually in the high 190° to 220° temps with Trans 2 dipping into high 230° for only a moment or two.
Note my engine temps are always in the low to mid 190° range so no worries there.
I run OBDLink MX+ as well on both a GX470 and LX570. Transmission 2 temp is at the torque converter before it goes through the transmission cooler. Transmission 1 temp is the pan (after transmission fluid has gone through the transmission cooler). If you drive on a hill climb, you will notice a much bigger difference (20-30 °F spread) between Trans 2 temp (torque converter) vs Trans 1 temp (after cooling, return to pan). Use Trans 1 temp or use the SST if you are refilling the sealed transmission.

I run OBDLink MX+ as well on both a GX470 and LX570. Transmission 2 temp is at the torque converter before it goes through the transmission cooler. Transmission 1 temp is the pan (after transmission fluid has gone through the transmission cooler). If you drive on a hill climb, you will notice a much bigger difference (20-30 °F spread) between Trans 2 temp (torque converter) vs Trans 1 temp (after cooling, return to pan). Use Trans 1 temp or use the SST if you are refilling the sealed transmission.
You're right, I do see significantly higher temps on Trans 2. But it's usually only for a minute or two when on a steep grade or hill climb, then it comes back down to temps closer to Trans 1.
Good to know!
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom