GX460 or T4R Trail? (1 Viewer)

Pick one:

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I’m looking at swapping into a GX or 4runner from my ‘98 Cruiser. I would consider an earlier 200 series, but they all seem to be too high or trash at my $$ range. Max I am willing to spend is $23k and I want to stay around the 100k mile range. Basically, I’m trying to stretch the hell out of my dollar. I like the GX because of the luxury feel and features, standard KDSS, great off-road capability, modern looks, and most importantly, the V8. The GX seems like it’s a great do-all vehicle.

I can’t think of much I dislike about the GX, other than the amount of soccer moms that drive them.

I like the 4runner Trail for the exact opposite reasons. The pre-facelift 5th Gens are in my price range. They’re minimalistic, Crawl control, KDSS, MTS, Rear Locker, Slightly better on gas, more likely to fit in my garage after a lift, they look great IMO, and the roll down back glass lol.

I have way more dislikes for the 4runner: No projector headlights, no push button start, inferior audio (haven’t heard it to be honest though), cloth seats with no heat. *I don’t like the look of the early Limited models, so please don’t suggest it.

Anyways, I am leaning towards a GX. What do you all think?

Sorry for the long-winded post.

Buy the best vehicle that fits your needs 95% of the time... In other words, don't be so focused on Crawl control if you'll never use it, don't say I must have a v8 and 6500 verse 5000 lbs towing capacity if you don't tow anything, ever... there is something to be said for slightly better gas mileage too, especially financially since that sounds like a shopping parameter which means its also an ownership parameter.... whatever you buy used buy from the south and inland where the undercarriages are not rotted away for the most part. if I had both options in front of me, a slightly older GX over younger 4R all day at the same price point. my $.02

I chose a GX over a 5th gen 4Runner mainly because of the V8. Also I feel you get more bang for your buck as far as creature comforts go with the GX. And, thanks to 22Eyunu35VO, I now have both MTS and Crawl. The only options you'd miss out on are a factory rear locker, which can be solved via ARB or Harrop) and the roll down rear window (which my dog would love). The one other downside that I've found is that on the GX you can't replace the nav/radio with an aftermarket one mainly because of the climate controls. I'd really like to have an Apple Car Play/Android Auto option in the GX. There is a Tesla like tablet being developed for the GX, but it doesn't appear ready for prime time.

Last edited:
I was considering the same vehicles, albeit 2019 models and ultimately went with the GX for the V8. I have heard more than one complaint about the 4Runner being underpowered, especially with larger tires. I also like the increased interior space (possibly a perception) due to the higher roof line in the GX.

Test drive them both, they are so night and day different. I had a 5th Gen Limited...but tried to do sound deadening (helped, but still so loud) and just overall underpowered (couldn't imagine putting larger tires on it). The GX gives you everything that a limited has, and you can make it trail edition (just add the locker)...and all with V8 (so much more power,) smoothness, sound deadening. I miss the rear window going down and after market support is trivial compared to the 4runner. I really enjoy the GX (perfect size/power) just my $0.02

So, I’m looking at swapping into a GX or 4runner from my ‘98 Cruiser. I would consider an earlier 200 series, but they all seem to be too high or trash at my $$ range. Max I am willing to spend is $23k and I want to stay around the 100k mile range. Basically, I’m trying to stretch the hell out of my dollar. I like the GX because of the luxury feel and features, standard KDSS, great off-road capability, modern looks, and most importantly, the V8. The GX seems like it’s a great do-all vehicle.

I can’t think of much I dislike about the GX, other than the amount of soccer moms that drive them.

I like the 4runner Trail for the exact opposite reasons. The pre-facelift 5th Gens are in my price range. They’re minimalistic, Crawl control, KDSS, MTS, Rear Locker, Slightly better on gas, more likely to fit in my garage after a lift, they look great IMO, and the roll down back glass lol.​

I have way more dislikes for the 4runner: No projector headlights, no push button start, inferior audio (haven’t heard it to be honest though), cloth seats with no heat. *I don’t like the look of the early Limited models, so please don’t suggest it.

Anyways, I am leaning towards a GX. What do you all think?

Sorry for the long-winded post.
Okay, let's address these one at a time.
Lexus GX 460 Pro's:
  • First off, we just had two 1998 100 series Landcrisers also, one of which (mine) was simi-built as an overlander. My wife wouldn't let me do anything to hers other than slightly oversized tires. Also, the new 200 series are seriously LARGE. If you plan on going off roading on Jeep trails, you'll appreciate the size of the GX.
  • Secondly, You should be able to keep under $25K for a pre 2013 GX under 100k miles. Take your time, it'll come up. Got my 2013 GX 460 Premium with only 38k miles for $32,000 last year (2018).
  • a soccer mom car is not a bad thing if your looking for something that has never been off roaded and abused. Yes the interiour may be a little more abused depending upon how rowdy the kids were or how disiplined the parents were.
  • The power to weight ratio between the 4Runner and GX are as follows:
    • 4Runner: 95.3 W/kg
    • GX 460: 95.5 W/kg
The GX actually has a little better power to weight ratio!​

• Next, if you can find yourself a Premium model, not only will you have heated seats, but three (yes 3) climate zones AND air conditioned front seats! (and other goodies)
  • Regarding gas mileage, Over the holidays, my wife and I went to Lake Tahoe (from San Clemente) with all our ski gear and enough "stuff" for two weeks up there. I did a very calculated measuring of my mileage in both directions. End result: over 15 miles per gallon. Note, my rig is fully set up for overlanding and far from stock: R2M 2013 GX 460 Expo
  • Okay, we don't have a roll down window but we do have a rear window lift! Just push the rear button and you can stick a 10' surfboard/paddle board/whatever out the back and head on down to the beach!
  • My wife and I love the sound system! As long as your not into bass thumping, window rattling genre of music (e.g. hip hop, rap, etc.) it sounds great!
  • Fitting into the garage? With my lift, 285/75R17 BFG M/T's AND my roof rack, I'm 70". I designed my rig to be able to go into most parking garages. Unless you have a really low garage you'll fit.
  • MTS and Crawl Control are very easy add on's to the GX. MTS is a $100 module that just plugs in and it's done and Crawl Control costs about $350 and you'll have that feature too!
  • Okay, so I added front and rear ARB lockers and re-geared. If one is serious about their build it's suggested to do that anyways, but still, the GX is a VERY amazing off-roader.
  • As far as looks, take a look at my rig on the link above and let me know which looks better now when all gussied up.
Anyways, I hope this helps and good luck on your search.
Just a quick FYI, my wife and I started out looking at the 200 series also, but am glad we purchased the GX. I'm just saying...

Last edited:
The 4Runner felt too underpowered to me. I needed the towing capacity of the GX plus the third row of seats which most 4runners don’t have. I do wish Toyota would come out with a v8 4Runner again.

Yeah even my wife thought the 4R was too slow, was a no brainer for us.

Okay, let's address these one at a time.
Lexus GX 460 Pro's:
  • First off, we just had two 1998 100 series Landcrisers also, one of which (mine) was simi-built as an overlander. My wife wouldn't let me do anything to hers other than slightly oversized tires. Also, the new 200 series a seriously LARGE. If you plan on going off roading on Jeep trails, you'll appreciate the size of the GX.
  • Secondly, You should be able to keep under $25K for a pre 2013 GX under 100k miles. Take your time, it'll come up. Got my 2013 GX 460 Premium with only 38k miles for $32,000 last year (2018).
  • a soccer mom car is not a bad thing if your looking for something that has never been off roaded and abused. Yes the interiour may be a little more abused depending upon how rowdy the kids were or how disiplined the parents were.
  • The power to weight ratio between the 4Runner and GX are as follows:
    • 4Runner: 95.3 W/kg
    • GX 460: 95.5 W/kg
The GX actually has a little better power to weight ratio!​

• Next, if you can find yourself a Premium model, not only will you have heated seats, but three (yes 3) climate zones AND air conditioned front seats! (and other goodies)
  • Regarding gas mileage, Over the holidays, my wife and I when to Lake Tahoe (from San Clemente) with all our ski gear and enough "stuff" for two weeks up there. I did a very calculated measuring of my mileage in both directions. End result: over 15 miles per gallon. Note, my rig is fully set up for overlanding and far from stock: R2M 2013 GX 460 Expo
  • Okay, we don't have a roll down window but we do have a rear window lift! Just push the rear button and you can stick a 10M' surfboard/paddle board/whatever out the back and head on down to the beach!
  • My wife and I love the sound system! As long as your not into bass thumping, window rattling genre of music (e.g. hip hop, rap, etc.) it sounds great!
  • Fitting into the garage? With my lift, 285/75R17 BFG M/T's AND my roof rack, I'm 70". I designed my rig to be able to go into most parking garages. Unless you have a really low garage you'll fit.
  • MTS and Crawl Control are very easy add ons to thet GX. MTS is a $100 module that just plugs in and it's done and Crawl Control costs about $350 and you'll have that feature too!
  • Okay, so I added front and rear ARB lockers and re-geared. If one is serious about their build it's suggested to do that anyways, but still, the GX is a VERY amazing off-roader.
  • As far as looks, take a look at my rig on the link above and let me know which looks better now when all gussied up.
Anyways, I hope this helps and good luck on your search.
Just a quick FYI, my wife and started out looking at the 200 series also, but am glad we purchased the GX. I'm just saying...
Wow, thanks!! I’m glad to hear you’re coming from a 100 series and don’t regret it. It seems that the best choice for me is the GX Premium.
I saw your build earlier today, and it pretty much sold me on the GX. Looks awesome! I’ll be referencing your build for sure.

Thanks everyone for the input! Would love to continue hearing opinions. Right now, I think the GX Premium checks all the right boxes for me. I found this clean example with a good service history. Used 2013 LEXUS GX For Sale at Peacock Auto Mall | VIN: JTJJM7FX1D5062390
Love the color, but not completely sold yet on the Ecru interior. I really like the black interior with this color exterior.

I just bought a 2011 GX460 Base (with a bunch of upgrades), 90K miles, excellent condition, all maintenance done at Lexus dealer, one owner, California, for $21K from a private party.

I had a 2007 4Runner and was deciding between a new 2019 4runner ORP and a used GX. I really loved my 4runner, but my back didn't like the seats so much anymore, I was getting tired of the low roofline (I'm 6'2 with a long torso), and sometimes needed to drive business clients around. I decided on the GX after I realized that -- other than cosmetics and minor changes -- the 2019 4runner is essentially the same as the one I drove for 12 years, so the idea of paying $40K for that lost it's appeal, 2011-2012 4runners with similar mileage were priced the same or more than the GX, and I wasn't crazy about buying when a major 4runner redesign is right a round the corner and the tech in the 2019 is outdated. I also figured that if I bought a used GX and decided to get a new 4runner two or three years into the next generation, I wouldn't take the depreciation hit I would selling or trading a newer 4runner.

All I wanted out of the GX was the increase in headspace and better seats. I didn't care about air-conditioned/heated seats, third row, leather, etc. Now I'll never have a car without heated seats again ;) Compared to my 4runner the GX is plush, quiet, and planted. The V8 is not a screamer and doesn't feel much more powerful than the V6, but it's quieter and not working as hard going uphills, passing, etc. I like the GX a lot and for an executive in his 50's who likes to spend weekends in the desert, it fits all the roles I need it to. The downsides? I prefer the look of the 4runner, and to get the GX ready for what I do offload, I'm going to need new tires, a mild lift, skid plates, and maybe sliders and bumpers which means cutting the step rocker cover plate. The 4runner ORP comes setup for what I need to do.

So, from my perspective:

Get the 4runner (with KDSS) if:
You are younger and or don't have low back issues.
You are not planning to go overboard on weight from bumpers, etc.
You don't want to have to modify it to do moderate off-road
You don't want/need a quieter cabin
You don't need more headroom (my 4runner didn't have a sunroof and the roof was still too close, in the GX I have a sunroof and room)
You don't care about leather, heat/air seats, and a plusher interior
You want a Nav/Stereo that's relatively easy to upgrade
You don't want the expense/hassle of replacing your radiator and water pump every 100K
You want to keep the 3 MPG you'd lose with the GX
You want to pay less for parts
You want more cargo area space
You don't plan to have passengers 30 years or older in the back seat for long periods
You want a tailgate that, when open, keeps the rain off you and doesn't stick out in the street
You don't want to pay for premium gas
You don't need to tow heavy loads or frequently
You want to look the same as all the other bros and moms (in SoCal at least)

After a few days in the GX I took my 4runner for a spin. It felt just as good as driving the GX, just nimbler, simpler, and spartan. It's time to let it go, but I could have just as well repainted it, reupholstered the seats, and been happy for another 180K miles. Hope that helps, you can't go wrong with either one.

Last edited:
I just bought a 2011 GX460 Base (with a bunch of upgrades), 90K miles, excellent condition, all maintenance done at Lexus dealer, one owner, California, for $21K from a private party.

I had a 2007 4Runner and was deciding between a new 2019 4runner ORP and a used GX. I really loved my 4runner, but my back didn't like the seats so much anymore, I was getting tired of the low roofline (I'm 6'2 with a long torso), and sometimes needed to drive business clients around. I decided on the GX after I realized that -- other than cosmetics and minor changes -- the 2019 4runner is essentially the same as the one I drove for 12 years, so the idea of paying $40K for that lost it's appeal, 2011-2012 4runners with similar mileage were priced the same or more than the GX, and I wasn't crazy about buying when a major 4runner redesign is right a round the corner and the tech in the 2019 is outdated. I also figured that if I bought a used GX and decided to get a new 4runner two or three years into the next generation, I wouldn't take the depreciation hit I would selling or trading a newer 4runner.

All I wanted out of the GX was the increase in headspace and better seats. I didn't care about air-conditioned/heated seats, third row, leather, etc. Now I'll never have a car without heated seats again ;) Compared to my 4runner the GX is plush, quiet, and planted. The V8 is not a screamer and doesn't feel much more powerful than the V6, but it's quieter and not working as hard going uphills, passing, etc. I like the GX a lot and for an executive in his 50's who likes to spend weekends in the desert, it fits all the roles I need it to. The downsides? I prefer the look of the 4runner, and to get the GX ready for what I do offload, I'm going to need new tires, a mild lift, skid plates, and maybe sliders and bumpers which means cutting the step rocker cover plate. The 4runner ORP comes setup for what I need to do.

So, from my perspective:

Get the 4runner (with KDSS) if:
You are younger and or don't have low back issues.
You are not planning to go overboard on weight from bumpers, etc.
You don't want to have to modify it to do moderate off-road
You don't want/need a quieter cabin
You don't need more headroom (my 4runner didn't have a sunroof and the roof was still too close, in the GX I have a sunroof and room)
You don't care about leather, heat/air seats, and a plusher interior
You want a Nav/Stereo that's relatively easy to upgrade
You don't want the expense/hassle of replacing your radiator and water pump every 100K
You want to keep the 3 MPG you'd lose with the GX
You want to pay less for parts
You want more cargo area space
You don't plan to have passengers 30 years or older in the back seat for long periods
You want a tailgate that, when open, keeps the rain off you and doesn't stick out in the street
You don't want to pay for premium gas
You don't need to tow heavy loads or frequently
You want to look the same as all the other bros and moms (in SoCal at least)

After a few days in the GX I took my 4runner for a spin. It felt just as good as driving the GX, just nimbler, simpler, and spartan. It's time to let it go, but I could have just as well repainted it, reupholstered the seats, and been happy for another 180K miles. Hope that helps, you can't go wrong with either one.
Thanks, and congrats on the new GX. Are there known issues with the radiator and water pumps on the 460 motors? Also, I am fairly young (28), but I do have a little back pain. I spent some time in the Army destroying my body. That’s another reason I am leaning towards the GX. I’m concerned I will regret the cloth, less-supportive, and unheated seats. I really just need to get more seat time in both.

Good points about the seats. The nice thing about the GX seats are that they are not only more comfortable, but have height adjustment AND lumbar adjustment.
I'm 6'-0" and my wife is 5'-1" so it's nice having the seat memory for both of us, otherwise I literally cannot get my knees past the steering column to get into the vehicle when the seat is positioned for her. She also likes being able to have the seat positioned a little higher for driving than I do which about brushes the top of my head.

To further cement the pro-GX comments, I came from a fully built 200 (profile pic) that I wheeled everywhere for 3 years. Great truck, but too big, too thirsty, and too many compromises at the price point.

When I started the search for my next rig, I started looking at Jeeps (thank god I didn’t make that mistake), but then was inching very close to a new 4Runner.

GX’s for some reason just never crossed my mind!

Long story long, I’m thrilled I got the GX. Used but feels new (this is the story with most on the used market given who buys them and how they use them).

Mines a 2012 with 42k miles. All Lexus maintenance, had never seen dirt or towed. $28k. —WAYYYY more truck for the money than a 4runner.

V8, 6 speed, more towing ability, less NVH, more luxury amenities, more prestige, full time 4wd, standard KDSS, nicer interior...

Unfortunately in CA I didn’t see many good uses one for descent price. I was looking for certified used and most GX with 40-50k miles still wanted $35-40k and 1-2 year old ones are right at $45-50k. When the 2018 went on sale I bit the bullet and got a new one. After the factory discount I got $8k off and my brand new premium was literally same price as a 1 year old used GX premium at the same dealer!

Wife didn’t like the 4Runner interior and the ride. Also the limited edition is about $45k and TRD-pro was over $50k thanks to dealer surcharge, absurd! Wish I could of found a 2013 with 30k miles for under $30k but happy with a new one. After the first free oil change she will be drinking only mobile 1!

Any particular reason you were looking for 1-2 year old units? Facelift in 2014, but basically they are all the same truck since 2010. 2012 added standard KDSS, so that was my target (2012-2013). To me, mileage is age more so than year built.

I previously paid new pricing on an $84k Land Cruiser (2015), only to fully realize I could have saved a lot by getting a gently used one from 2008 on. Lexus and Toyota products are the only ones I would ever consider buying used - technology is so slow to creep into new iterations, and they are built so well.

So, after months of searching... I finally got into a new rig. It’s not a Trail or a 460, but I’m happy. I found a super clean 5th gen 4Runner(‘12) SR5 premium at a local dealer. No KDSS, lockers, or crawl control, but it’s ok. Will post pictures later.

P.s. if anyone needs a 100 series tranny cross member, right rear window regulator, or serpentine belt... PM me

Congrats OP on your new ride!

In terms of the thread though I'm a little surprised to read some of these comments. I drove my buddy's GX before I bought my T4R. I didn't think it was significantly faster, still seemed like a fairly slow truck just like the T4R, haha! But he tows a boat and says that is the primary advantage which I definitely get. We road tripped to Whistler last month and I do snoqualmie pass (70mph limit, so 80mph up a grade) in WA state weekly and there are zero issues getting up to speed or maintaining it. I also DD with 275/70-R17 E rated k02's. It's not a sports car but it's not a total slug either. You just have to step on it if you want it to move, it will. ;)

Also surprised to hear the comments about height adjustment and lumbar adjustment, both of which mine has. My leather seats don't feel quite as luxury as the GX but they're comfortable on road trips which is what matters. Is this an earlier model thing?

The big drawbacks of the GX for me and why I went with the T4R were:

Barn door, after having an FJ for years and a wrangler before that enough is enough! I live in the PacNW and mountain bike all year. Ya'll know how luxury it is to throw up the rear door, whip out a camp chair and drink a post ride beer without getting wet? Also the roll down window is the best thing ever.

Rear cargo space. I always have a ton of gear back there. Climbing stuff, inflatable SUP, massive duffel with either MTB gear or snowboarding gear, compressor, camp stuff, etc. Having that big box with no awkward plastics encroaching on the gear is awesome.

Integrated plastic side steps. Low hanging bumper that needs to be cut.

Obviously all this stuff can be worked around with enough money or less money + DIY if you really need the V8. Don't get me wrong, I'd 100% get a V8 T4R if it was available. But I don't really NEED it so the other advantages outweighed the motor for me.

Since this thread will get searched I wanted to throw out some counter to the landslide of GX votes. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom