GX460 or T4R Trail? (1 Viewer)

Pick one:

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I haven't cut anything from the front of the GX - I've been looking for a front bumper forever for this model ('14+) which is challenging as everything out has its shortcomings. Leaning towards Ironman as the MetalTech version kills me they use zip ties to secure the wheel well liner - that alone is a deal breaker or I'd be running it already.

So basically, just doing the lift gave it a lot of clearance. The skid plates give it protection but the bumper liner on the '14 is huge and contains the grill and everything else as one unit (with a lot of screws and clips), which is annoying vs. the 10-13' model years.

Don't have any pics but can take some if you tell me what you want to see.

No need to go out and take pics, that's the info I wanted. I agree that I haven't seen a 'perfect' bumper out there for the 460 so I was curious what you had done or not. Clearance looks good though, and the overall vehicle looks awesome and capable!

That was all custom by me...had to retrofit VisionX Led from a Jeep JK kit for fogs, and then find slim profile to fit in the gaps. The VisionX cannons were great and throw a lot of light.
Wow, you had me fooled. Almost looks just like an ARB bumper. Nice work!

It’s been about three weeks with the 4Runner, and I love it. I know I would be happy in a GX too, but the 4runner is great. It’s different than my 100 series in almost every way, which was expected. The gas mileage is a big improvement (17-18 mpg in the 4Runner is way better than the 14-15 in the cruiser. The roll down back window is awesome. The navigation system (surprisingly) is not bad, and I actually prefer it over my '13 BMW 3 series and my wife's Acura RDX. The address input process takes entirely too long though. As with every nav system I've tried from this time frame. Another positive is the seats. I think the 100 seats are slightly more comfortable due to leg room(width) and the arm rest. However, the 4Runner's leather seats are surprisingly comfortable too. They have all of the adjustments my 100 had, plus heat. I also love the house plug (ac adapter) in the center console. It's a small feature, but I really appreciate it.

Although I'm happy with my choice, there are two negatives (as i perceive them) I have already found. I have a couple more picky things that I won't mention until I have had more time with the vehicle. The first, and most annoying, complaint is the braking system. To be fair, I'm not sure if the GX uses the same system. However, I do remember the GX brakes having a more linear feel. Although the 4Runner has great stopping power, braking feels almost like pressing on a balloon. At stop lights, it requires constant "hard" pressure to keep from rolling forward. Many other owners have complained about this on the T4R forums. The nose dive on my non-KDSS SR5 is also annoying. I do plan to remedy that soon with a lift though... The second "negative" is the cool factor versus my 100. It's definitely not a cool as the Land Cruiser. Plus, now I look weird if I wave at Land Cruiser owners...

You may all be wondering how the V6 isn't listed as a negative. Well, I actually like it. In stock form, I think it has enough power. The torque isn't quite there, but it will go if you put your foot down. It's also simple, which is a plus for me. On the 2010-2013 engines, spark plug change is super easy. Took me slightly over an hour because I was being a perfectionist. However, it would probably only take a skilled mechanic, 45 minutes or less. Here's the old plugs:
13B9FB9D-0506-4BA6-8EEA-0661F765BFAC.jpeg
C7B18462-CC18-4EF3-810A-172299201EF2.jpeg
2F921339-4B8E-4686-BC48-1EB2D47B5A19.jpeg

Nice - suspension change/lift will completely remove the nose-dive. You should head over the the 5th gen forum on T4R.org as there is a ton of info about the truck there. Best of both worlds would be the T4R body/style with GX V8 and interior.

How many miles were on those plugs?

Nice - suspension change/lift will completely remove the nose-dive. You should head over the the 5th gen forum on T4R.org as there is a ton of info about the truck there. Best of both worlds would be the T4R body/style with GX V8 and interior.

Can confirm, I have a KDSS enabled ORP and the nose dive was annoying on the road, on the trail it dived rolling down rocks and scraped the front skid, lol! Lift/shocks will remove it completely and greatly improves the driving experience.

I joined T4R recently, but I’m still skimming through all of the info. There definitely is a lot of info there about these trucks. Honestly though, It seems a little disorganized over there compared to mud.
As far as the mileage on the plugs... No clue. There was no record of change on the carfax or receipts, so I decided to change them. Would love to hear opinions on suspected mileage based on the pictures... if at all possible.

Can confirm, I have a KDSS enabled ORP and the nose dive was annoying on the road, on the trail it dived rolling down rocks and scraped the front skid, lol! Lift/shocks will remove it completely and greatly improves the driving experience.

Glad to hear it can be resolved. That seems to be the general consensus from everyone else too. Sadly, the lift will have to wait a while. We’re beginning the process of planning a move to Colorado. No funds for fun stuff at the moment.

So, after months of searching... I finally got into a new rig. It’s not a Trail or a 460, but I’m happy. I found a super clean 5th gen 4Runner(‘12) SR5 premium at a local dealer. No KDSS, lockers, or crawl control, but it’s ok. Will post pictures later.

P.s. if anyone needs a 100 series tranny cross member, right rear window regulator, or serpentine belt... PM me

Congrats!

I've owned them both and each has their advantages and disadvantages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom