GX460 or FJ Cruiser?!! (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can confirm, and I've owned a VehiCross which has awful visibility

Those were so cool. I wanted the Ironman Edition back in HS lol.

In comparison to almost any other SUV/truck the visibility in the FJC is trash at best.
I've heard that more than once. And how about the busted windshields? They're quite prone to this.
At least they have plenty of leg and headroom...

I always thought they were cool looking and got an extensive ride in one from a co-worker who purchased first model year (2007) new.

The road noise on stock tires and IMO highly compromised views to the rear were a real turnoff. Vehicle could have really taken advantage of a surround view camera but upon release those weren't really out on the market yet for a couple years.

Well, thought I had a GX in the bag and then the dealer got weird.

On the prowl again. Looking at a 2014 as well - some aren’t that much more than the 2012-2013’s. Prices are all over the place with these.

Trying to decide how I few about the facelift.

You guys are not wrong about the visibility. I've owned 4 FJ's since 2008 so I guess I'm a bit used to it. My 2011 and 2014 FJ's both have rear cameras. The big issues are the blind spots due to the large c pillars. That is the weakest point of the entire vehicle.

Wipers? I love the 3 wipers. And I've only had to replace one windshield while owning 4 different machines.

On the positive side, this fj is an absolute beast and can wheel with just about anyone on trails. I run a Toytec 3" lift with external reservoirs. The tires are 35" XCOMP Gladiator MT. If you look at these pics you'll see that the 0/4.75 offset Method wheels I have push the tires out. This really creates a nice stance when offroading in off camber situations. You certainly lose a little on road comfort. I did push the caster as forward as possible....This keeps the machine a bit more stable on the highway. It doesn't dance around. I am currently installing new front and rear diffs from East Coast Gear Supply. I went with 4.88 gears. Not only do I have the 35's but the machine is heavy with the roof top tent, extra fuel/water tanks, demello offroad front bumper and winch and camping gear. Also I occasionally tow a sxs.

Sidenote: You'll see the custom storage and fridge in the back in the pics. I built this custom storage to hold all of my camping gear.

I still have high hopes that I can afford to build a GX460 offroad machine perhaps next year. That is why I am hanging out here. About a month ago, I saw a bunch of guys from Georgia in GX460's on the trails I go to. I wish I had pics. Those guys really had some nice mods for offroading. And those GX's were going on some very tight trails. The GX footprint is perfect for that type of trail. I have a 2020 Land Cruiser Heritage. First I wouldn't take it on trails. but 2nd, the footprint is just too large.

I hope to learn a bunch from you guys and build that GX rig soon.

20220909_110414.jpg

20220909_110528.jpg

cooktop.jpg

Last edited:
I've heard that more than once. And how about the busted windshields? They're quite prone to this.
At least they have plenty of leg and headroom...

I had two FJC's for a total of 4+ years and I never had to replace a windshield. Now on my Jeep Wranglers (I've had three), I was replacing them at least once a year.

• Sad
Reactions: r2m
I have a 2020 Land Cruiser Heritage. First I wouldn't take it on trails. but 2nd, the footprint is just too large.

That's where you're missing out. It's a great off-roader and the perfect travel vehicle. Eventually you'll be building it up and taking it off-road too.

Dude, I still want an Ironman VX haha
I used to drive and off road Troopers for about 15 years, I still wheel with friends I made of that crowd including a bunch of VX guys. I probably would have had a VX but for two things: Not enough headroom, and dealing with a way to carry an oversize spare tire. But they are cool.

I too had looked at VX's. They are just awesome looking!
But for me the down side was:
  1. Too small for overlanding with all the gear I'd like to haul.
  2. Not enough aftermarket support.
  3. Not body on frame.
  4. And most of all, being discontinued. And not that just the VX was discontinued, but Isuzu also pulled out of the U.S. except their comercial trucks. Parts will only get harder and more expensive to find.
And as for the 200 series, agreed, just too big for some of the mountain trails we have here. Open desert, road trips, etc. it'd be great!
I think someone needs to start going through ALL the trails and make them wider! 😁

@xlx Is that pic of your GX with no lift, just wheels and tires? What’s the easiest/nicest looking way to beef up the GX up front without a lift? Possible using stock wheels or no?
I’ve paused on mine having cut out the side steps, upsized the tires, upgraded the shocks to bilstein 5100s, and installing a rhino rack and ladder. Works perfectly for me as daily driver that sees very regular off road use. Approach and departure angles are fine (helped by it being a 2010), yet I don’t have to pucker up (or seek other options) when I pull into some parking decks. I might invest more some day, but right now feel I’ve got a perfect balance - so I’m really lacking any reason to do so

7342EF5A-4B76-4F74-B09E-ABCF500AEF62.jpeg

I too had looked at VX's. They are just awesome looking!
But for me the down side was:
  1. Too small for overlanding with all the gear I'd like to haul.
  2. Not enough aftermarket support.
  3. Not body on frame.
  4. And most of all, being discontinued. And not that just the VX was discontinued, but Isuzu also pulled out of the U.S. except their comercial trucks. Parts will only get harder and more expensive to find.
The VX was body on frame, in fact it is the same frame that SWB (2-door) Troopers used.

They only made like 4,000 of them, so yeah not much for aftermarket there. They were never meant to be a mass market vehicle, it was a concept car they went ahead and sold. The body panel stamping molds were ceramic, so once they wore out the production run ended. Hard to believe that was over 20 years ago, they still look modern.

We absolutely love our GX! I did look at an FJ but the tow capacity wasn't as good and I really like the V8. With just a slight lift and 265 65 BFG KO2s it will go just about anywhere I want to go. Plus it handles our Casita trailer with ease.

IMG_20221111_142330081_HDR.jpg

The VX was body on frame, in fact it is the same frame that SWB (2-door) Troopers used.

They only made like 4,000 of them, so yeah not much for aftermarket there. They were never meant to be a mass market vehicle, it was a concept car they went ahead and sold. The body panel stamping molds were ceramic, so once they wore out the production run ended. Hard to believe that was over 20 years ago, they still look modern.
By their diminutive size and I thought something I may have heard at one time, that they were unibody.
My bad... But agree, they still look great today!

That's where you're missing out. It's a great off-roader and the perfect travel vehicle. Eventually you'll be building it up and taking it off-road too.
I agree but I'm trying to keep that 2020 Heritage clean. I'm afraid ro scratch it! It'll be worth a lot someday.

I'll probably be scared to scratch a GX on trails when I buy one...lol. that's one thing about my 2011 FJ...I'm not too worried about cosmetic damage from trails.

Trail pin striping are badges of honor. But I draw the line at crinkling body panels.

You all have been SO helpful!

I'm happy to announce that I put a deposit on a GX last night! Finishing the paperwork tomorrow morning and having it shipped here at the end of the week! Woop, woop!
Congrats!

Reactions: r2m
Good on ya, mate!
Now start saving for the mods! o_O

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom