GX460....? More 4Runner or More Land Cruiser? Or Both? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Funny you should post mention of Harrop and 3rd row delete for storage. My 2013 is getting bot next week from @orangefj45 and the crew at Valley Hybrids :)

My next likely off-road worthy mods will be the rear Harrop Elocker A11114 (Will buy from you guys) and Nitro 4.56 gear when/if I go with 35"/395 next year, with BMC. I came from 2003 4Runner V8 2WD to 2015 GX 460 V8 - love the V8 and Full-Time 4WD with amazing the off-road capability, Lexus comfort and Toyota world-renowned reliability. Best of both worlds. Sliders and rear metal bumper with tire carrier are on way. My soccer mom's ride.

IMG_20180806_122444978_HDR_zpsvwi4pvvb.jpg

I wonder how easy to swap the rear barn door onto a 4R?

All the parts are the same aren't they? ;)

As soon as someone is willing to drive their GX460 through the Rubicon with OEM plastics- I'll swap rear doors... because the GX is just as capable right? :rofl:

Seriously - I've only ever seen one GX460 on a trail in moab. I'm out on the trails all the time around Utah. I see more 200's out there than GXs. I've got to imagine you'd see Prado 150's all over the trails in Oz. All the GX460's were no-shows at the Rubithon this year. There was a couple FJ Cruisers and even an LC100. At some point someone's gotta give it a go in a GX460. It's a fun trip.

Last edited:
Funny you should post mention of Harrop and 3rd row delete for storage. My 2013 is getting bot next week from @orangefj45 and the crew at Valley Hybrids :)
Do they have some kind of fitment kit for the 3rd row delete, or doing this as a custom storage mod? I haven't seen the cargo area show up on your build thread yet...

As soon as someone is willing to drive their GX460 through the Rubicon with OEM plastics- I'll swap rear doors... because the GX is just as capable right? :rofl:

Seriously - I've only ever seen one GX460 on a trail in moab. I'm out on the trails all the time around Utah. I see more 200's out there than GXs. I've got to imagine you'd see Prado 150's all over the trails in Oz. All the GX460's were no-shows at the Rubithon this year. There was a couple FJ Cruisers and even an LC100. At some point someone's gotta give it a go in a GX460. It's a fun trip.

I'm always out in California/Nevada... I've got better tires now, but I've had this thing on the trail plenty of times.

I was just joking. GX and 4R are essentially identical. I really don't see enough GXs - especially 460's - out on the trail though.

Careful bringing all this up! Or else you invite that one crazy Australian guy back.

I'm always out in California/Nevada... I've got better tires now, but I've had this thing on the trail plenty of times.

No offense but holy Jim isn’t the type of trails people are talking about. 460 is still a bit too new and expensive to take on real trails(difficult rating). People who has enough money to not care usually go on hard trails with modded 200. Props to @goodtogo on an awesome build and legit trail pix.

Fortunately I stil have my mild 80 to take care of the harder trails and the 460 for family Subaru duties.

Last edited:
I hear ya... amazing how many vehicles are basically worthless with that year and mileage.. then you see car reviews calling the 460 an old dinosaur or wooly mammoth.

Frankly fuel mileage, refinement or the latest tech take a back seat for me when many of these so called "refined" vehicles will be an endless money pit out of warranty or over 100K miles.

I plan to purchase other vehicles in the future when needed for other uses and needs but my I am going to keep my 460 until I can no longer keep it on the road due to a complete absence of parts to repairs....and frankly ... that will be beyond my lifetime.

LOL yes it will be a very long time before you can’t get parts for it anymore. Just like my 80 the 150 series is a world wide car and Toyota doesn’t discountinue cars like they do in US which means they will also be supplying parts for it for a very long time!

It is amazing that I still can get vast number of brand new OEM parts with just a call to a dealer.....on a 23 year old car! After my experience with last 3 Hondas we are now a 100% Lexus family. :clap:

No offense but holy Jim isn’t the type of trails people are talking about. 460 is still a bit too new and expensive to take on real trails(difficult rating). People who has enough money to not care usually go on hard trails with modded 200. Props to @goodtogo on an awesome build and legit trail pix.

Fortunately I stil have my mild 80 to take care of the harder trails and the 460 for family Subaru duties.
Maybe you could show me around sometime in your 80 since I don't off road hard enough for some guy on the internet to be pleased :rofl:

Maybe you could show me around sometime in your 80 since I don't off road hard enough for some guy on the internet to be pleased :rofl:

Sure, come up to rubicon with me? My rig isn’t good enough for Fordyce though.

I had the Baja 500 in mind...why don't you come down this way?

Would love to but the cartel and lack of time prevents my dream of driving to Baja and fish along the way. The GX will be on baby duty for a long time.

Last edited:
Wish I had your budget... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom