GX460 - MetalTech or SSO sliders? Trim rocker or go commando? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
About to pull the trigger on bolt-on sliders...from my research those are the two brands that get the best reviews/most exposure -- to my eye the MetalTechs look more finished, but that could come down to how well the marketing guys at each company did their jobs. What's your preference and why? Anything to watch out for...such as, this brand slider won't work with this brand skid plate?

Also - plenty of pics out there showing trimmed rockers. Anyone come up with a different solution, like removing the steps and rocker cover and running a vinyl strip over the exposed edge? I'm not keen on cutting the rocker panel if there's a viable alternative (besides ordering a Prado rocker panel). Thanks in advance.

I went with MetalTech since I also purchased their bumpers and some under carriage protection, suspension and wheels.
Two minor critiques on the MetelTech sliders:
  1. They could be about 2 inches longer in both the front and rear. In other words, stretching the length closer to the opening of the front and rear wheel wells.
  2. The other comment is that I would have preferred the sliders to stick out about another couple of inches. The reason is when standing on them for roof rack access there is not much purchase for ones feet to stand. A person must stand, supporting themselves with their toes. If the sliders were wider, one could have the the ball of their foot on the slider for support. Using just the tips of the toes gets tiring very quickly when one is trying to do something on the rack and needs to stand there for several minutes. Also, wider sliders will allow a little more width protection when off-roading and protection against idiots in parking lots carelessly swinging their car doors open. :flipoff2:
Note, there is NOTHING technically wrong with MetalTech sliders, this is just my 2 cents worth and what I'd do if I were to design a set.

Regarding trimming the side steps/molding, I believe there are some out there that don't have the step and work with sliders. It may be a Prado product. Check for Prado side trim.

Just throwing this out there as another possible option.

I just recently got an email back from Budbuilt stating that they had a prototype completed for sliders. They said they had 2 x 150s in the shop and work working maybe close to finalizing skids for the Land Cruiser 150 frame. They said to check back in 3 weeks or so and they would have a better idea of how the project was going.

Thanks guys, good info here....now I have more options to consider ;) Those RSG sliders look nice. I think I need to get to a few GX meetups to get a better idea of what I'll be happy with.

Depending up where you are in So. Cal., we can catch a cup of coffee at a local java house and you can see how the MetalTech sliders look on my rig along with the bumpers and other mods. I'm San Clemente.

1. The other comment is that I would have preferred the sliders to stick out about another couple of inches. The reason is when standing on them for roof rack access there is not much purchase for ones feet to stand. A person must stand, supporting themselves with their toes. If the sliders were wider, one could have the the ball of their foot on the slider for support. Using just the tips of the toes gets tiring very quickly when one is trying to do something on the rack and needs to stand there for several minutes. Also, wider sliders will allow a little more width protection when off-roading and protection against idiots in parking lots carelessly swinging their car doors open. :flipoff2:

I've also been looking for sliders that can function as a step, but almost all of them tuck in pretty tight to the body. I'm willing to sacrifice some clearance for more comfort. It looks like SSO sliders have a wider kick out torwards the rear vs Metal tech, but it's hard to tell in the pictures. RCI makes some 4runnder sliders that might fit? a GX, but also had a full tread plate on top. I wonder if that would make any difference vs just a plain tube when using as a step.

Agreed, it is a hard thing to see how much they truly stick out unless you can try them out yourself.
It doesn't really matter whether there's a plate or just tube, just add some track tape, like the skate board type, to the tubes and you'll get a good grip. I just like having more purchase to stand on and not just the tips of my toes.

Have you seen the RSG's very stout great reviews.
2010+ LEXUS GX460

I say trim, what else you gonna do with such large bulky step? Also it looks much better than commando. Or Oder prado rcoker panel but there is almost no market for the old steps since all GX came with the steps.

I wish the Prado rockers were more readily available. I’d like to remove my OEM’s but save them to put back on when I sell the vehicle. I don’t want to go commando because it looks worse and leaves a gap for water and mud to more easily get in.

I looked into Prado rockers but the shipping costs were ridiculous. You can buy a used pair for less than $50 but shipping is around $3-400. I think I’ll keep an eye out for a wrecked GX and hopefully source a good deal on rockers that I can cut.

Thanks team. Ordered my RSG sliders, flat, with step plate this week. Appreciate the assist!

I see that you already placed your order, but Main Line Overland makes some nice rock sliders for the GX 460. Just another option for anyone searching for sliders for their GX.

:beer:

Thanks team. Ordered my RSG sliders, flat, with step plate this week. Appreciate the assist!
Nice, post some pictures when you get them. I've been looking at RSG for a little while, but they looked a little short to me. May have just been the pictures. I want something with a bit of a step too.

Nicemarmot, why did you choose the RSG sliders compared with all the rest? I'm interested in the thought process, as it will help me when I need to make this same decision.

I'm a bit OCD so first I read every 4runner and GX slider-related post I could find. At some point I realized that you just have to take a leap (and I've been too busy to get to a GX meet so I could see for myself) and RSG had enough positive feedback on both quality and customer service that I went with them. They also have/had a $100 off promo (March100) so that was the final tipping point (I think they run a promo fairly regularly). SSO was the other contender for the same functional and customer feedback reasons, but in the end I liked the look of the RSG's just a hair more. I'm certain I would have been happy with either.

Also, I went with flat, treadplate, bumpout, because I have vertically-challenged females in my tribe, I sometimes drive clients in my GX, and that configuration seemed a good balance for my uses.

Are you going to trim the rockers? Let us know how you like the RSG. I’m liking how the flat with top plate without bump out looks, but for practicality I think the bump out would be better.

Wouldn’t one of these manufacturers be able to fabricate low profile rockers to go with the slider shipment order? It should be cheaper than importing plastic Prado rockers?!?

I'm a bit OCD so first I read every 4runner and GX slider-related post I could find. At some point I realized that you just have to take a leap (and I've been too busy to get to a GX meet so I could see for myself) and RSG had enough positive feedback on both quality and customer service that I went with them. They also have/had a $100 off promo (March100) so that was the final tipping point (I think they run a promo fairly regularly). SSO was the other contender for the same functional and customer feedback reasons, but in the end I liked the look of the RSG's just a hair more. I'm certain I would have been happy with either.

Also, I went with flat, treadplate, bumpout, because I have vertically-challenged females in my tribe, I sometimes drive clients in my GX, and that configuration seemed a good balance for my uses.

I'm starting to do my research (probably a bit premature) comparing all the options. The RSG sliders seem plenty sturdy, and look good, too. Some of the trade offs I've seen are:

* Square vs. round tubing
* Kick out vs. no kick out (probably yes for me)
* Top plate vs. no top plate
* MetalTech claims they are the only ones who powdercoat the inside of the tubes

Is there a significant difference in strength and functionality between SSO/MetalTech/RSG?

Is there a database listing dimensions for the different options? Weight, length, width

I'll echo what others have said: please and thank you for posting pictures once you have them installed.

* MetalTech claims they are the only ones who powdercoat the inside of the tubes

I always thought that was because they are open to the center of the truck, As seen here in the first picture.

I always thought that was because they are open to the center of the truck, As seen here in the first picture.
You're correct. But for clarification, MetalTech has two versions of GX 460 skids, the OPOR and MT brands. The OPOR is all tube construction. It comes bare steel normally. If you order it powder coated it is only coated on the outside. The MT one is a folded plate steel open frame with tubing kick-out. It only comes powder coated. The inside of the MT open folded-steel frame is powder coated because it is open to the elements, but not the tubing portion. I have some photos of both versions on my build page (link in my signature).

GxtOut and TX GX460, thanks for that clarification. I read the description of the sliders on MetalTech's web site a few times, but couldn't figure it out until you two explained the box folded plate. That explains why the inside is powder coated, too.

TX GX460, is the MT slider worth the cost (~$250 more than OPOR or RSG)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom