GX460 KCLV for premium vs regular gas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just reporting back after driving through a couple of tanks of gas (this boi is thirsty!)

KCLV values (fluctuates a little:

87 octane: 16-18
91 octane: ~23-24
Yummy 93 octane: ~26

I might be able to convince myself that premium gave me 1 more mpg (17 vs 16). But that’s probably within error of my estimate.

While I am very interested in your research, I do think that if engine damage would result from using 87 octane we would have heard about some real world examples by now, seeing as this drivetrain has been in production for 11+ years.

While I am very interested in your research, I do think that if engine damage would result from using 87 octane we would have heard about some real world examples by now, seeing as this drivetrain has been in production for 11+ years.
completely agree. given the KCLV adaptation it almost certainly means that the engine is adjusting just fine.

If only there's a knock counter on OBD

Are there not reported issues? I’m only here because a guy on YouTube said you’ll be rebuilding a motor if you don’t run premium.

Are there not reported issues? I’m only here because a guy on YouTube said you’ll be rebuilding a motor if you don’t run premium.
Not saying there aren't any but I haven't run across any... in 14 years of production.

Aside from fact and fiction about engine life using 87 octane, I use the highest octane available because if get better gas mileage.
And that my friend, is FACT. Measurable and quantifiable.
If it allows a few 10's of thousands of miles more life out of the motor, all the better.

Aside from fact and fiction about engine life using 87 octane, I use the highest octane available because if get better gas mileage.
And that my friend, is FACT. Measurable and quantifiable.
If it allows a few 10's of thousands of miles more life out of the motor, all the better.
I always run Premium because that's what the truck asks for and I figure if I was that cheap; I'd still own a Jeep.

My wife will sometimes fill up with regular or mid-grade depending on the price and her mood, but always a a top-tier station like Shell or Chevron.

My logic is very flawed but it goes like this: Lexus is nice & fancy and it enjoys nice & fancy things like premium gas. However, this truck's drivetrain was also designed to run off of whatever gas you can find in the boondocks of sub-saharan Africa, all the while maintaining its earned reputation for reliability in that exact environment. So give the Lexus the fancy stuff that it expects given it's status as a suburban family hauler in the USA, while periodically reminding it that it's really a Toyota designed for hard labor in the mines.

I doubt any modern car is going to grenade its engine due to the wrong grade fuel. Modern ECUs can and do compensate for hundreds of variables like this. That's why we don't need to re-jet our carbs when we get into high altitude (ah the good old days). I have a turbo 1.5L that gets terrible mileage and performance from 85 octane, but it won't blow the engine any time soon. The trade offs are mileage, performance, and piece of mind and all three are a personal preference at the end of the day.

Reactions: r2m
The easiest solution for this could be to get a 87 octane YotaWerx tune, which I think they have available for 2010-2020 460s. I have one for my GX470 and will be uploading it soon and posting thoughts on my build thread (different engine I know, but same basic problem).

Of interest is that I paid up for 91/93 octane on a 1,400-mile round trip towing our camper for spring break this year. I since throttled back to 87. The 93 really didn't provide any significant benefit in towing power or MPG to be worth the $100 extra in fuel over a week. I do agree that 91/93 octane is preferable, and ran it in my 470 when it was $2.25/gal vs. $1.75/gal for 87 during peak COVID. Now it's $4.20/gal vs. $3.49/gal, which is a harder pill to swallow given lack of tangible benefits.

The easiest solution for this could be to get a 87 octane YotaWerx tune, which I think they have available for 2010-2020 460s
Correct and I recommend this. I've got the 89 tune but have ran 87 in a pinch because rural Kansas sucks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom