GX 470 new key & ignition Keys (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bought an 07 GX470 2 weeks ago with only 1 key. Had High Tech locksmiths out to make a new one this afternoon. After 30 min of programming and cutting they say my ignition is fried and they'll have to replace it.

Question is, my key won't even turn to crank now, is this an ignition issue or an immobilizer type issue?

My hunch is that the key would turn if it was an ignition issue but first time with a fancy keyed car going out like this.

Help is appreciated

Bought an 07 GX470 2 weeks ago with only 1 key. Had High Tech locksmiths out to make a new one this afternoon. After 30 min of programming and cutting they say my ignition is fried and they'll have to replace it.

Question is, my key won't even turn to crank now, is this an ignition issue or an immobilizer type issue?

My hunch is that the key would turn if it was an ignition issue but first time with a fancy keyed car going out like this.

Help is appreciated
Is the steering wheel locked? Does the key come in and out of the cylinder fine?

Turn the wheel against the lock and wiggle the key - it should unlock/turn. If that doesn't work, remove the key and blast some compressed air in the cylinder, and then put some graphite lock lubricant in (the dry powdery stuff) and try again.

Thanks, looks like the locksmith tried graphite and lock oil (based on the residue on the key). I'll have to try compressed air in the morning.

They say it's a "fried ignition switch" which can "happen with a newly cut, because, you know, the old one was worn down".

That just doesn't make sense to me.

Just had the same problem and ended up having to replace the ignition cylinder at the dealer for $750. The things to try first are turning your steering wheel while turning the key, if the steering wheel is locked. Meaning, you can "lock" a steering wheel when your vehicle is off but turning it one way or another, you'll hear it click then it won't turn much. If that was done, the ignition may not turn unless you "unlock" the steering wheel buy turning it hard in either direction while turning the key. Next is graphite in the key hole, or gentle knocking on the key while the key is to try to unstick a stuck tumbler, or some people put a liquid lube but that is not recommended due to other issues.

Is there a chance the locksmith screwed it up while making a key? Honestly for new keys on a vehicle like this I would probably go to the dealer, despite the price, you just know it will be done correctly.

I have 3 Lexus cars with the same kind of key. I once accidentally tried the key for my LX in my daughter's RX. After that the pins stuck in the wrong place and the ignition wouldnt turn anymore. From what I had read this can be common with Lexus ignitions.

Everywhere I looked said to use WD40 and try to get the pins to go back where they belong. I dont like using oil in locks so i tried some molybdenum disulfide as a lube. I was able to get the pins to reset by vibrating the key with an electric toothbrush while in the ignition switch and turning the steering wheel back and fourth.

Just had the same problem and ended up having to replace the ignition cylinder at the dealer for $750. The things to try first are turning your steering wheel while turning the key, if the steering wheel is locked. Meaning, you can "lock" a steering wheel when your vehicle is off but turning it one way or another, you'll hear it click then it won't turn much. If that was done, the ignition may not turn unless you "unlock" the steering wheel buy turning it hard in either direction while turning the key. Next is graphite in the key hole, or gentle knocking on the key while the key is to try to unstick a stuck tumbler, or some people put a liquid lube but that is not recommended due to other issues.

Is there a chance the locksmith screwed it up while making a key? Honestly for new keys on a vehicle like this I would probably go to the dealer, despite the price, you just know it will be done correctly.
Oh they are definitely fixing it free of charge, lesson learned though. Just buy it from a dealership.

I have 3 Lexus cars with the same kind of key. I once accidentally tried the key for my LX in my daughter's RX. After that the pins stuck in the wrong place and the ignition wouldnt turn anymore. From what I had read this can be common with Lexus ignitions.

Everywhere I looked said to use WD40 and try to get the pins to go back where they belong. I dont like using oil in locks so i tried some molybdenum disulfide as a lube. I was able to get the pins to reset by vibrating the key with an electric toothbrush while in the ignition switch and turning the steering wheel back and fourth.
I'll try the toothbrush thing, can't hurt.

They already put liquid in so I've tried compressed air to free it up but no dice so far.

Any luck?

Nothing... New ignition gets installed Tuesday.

That sucks. Will it use the same key? If not, will the door be rekeyed?

Any time you get new keys cut it would be a good idea to run it in the door lock a few times to help break the edges and wear it a little before trying it in the ignition. Door locks are easier to fix and cheaper to replace. If it wont work in the door don't try it in the ignition. You would think a locksmith would think of this.

That sucks. Will it use the same key? If not, will the door be rekeyed?

Any time you get new keys cut it would be a good idea to run it in the door lock a few times to help break the edges and wear it a little before trying it in the ignition. Door locks are easier to fix and cheaper to replace. If it wont work in the door don't try it in the ignition. You would think a locksmith would think of this.
You'd think so...

They should be able to use the same keys I believe (hope).

How did it work out? Same keys?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom