GX 470 buying question: is this too much rust? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, I've been on the hunt for a GX and came across an '09 with reasonable mileage (140k), interior and body in good shape and has the sport package (KDSS). Almost perfect on paper, but I just received photos of the underbody and there is a significant amount of rust. This car spent a lot of its life in Wisconsin, and I guess this isn't that uncommon for that area due to road salt use in the winters, but as someone who spent most of their life in California this looks pretty bad. The dealership that's selling this says it's mostly surface rust, but it seems like even if that's the case it will cause issues when working on the car (all those rusted bolts...I plan on doing a lot of work myself) and take a while to clean up. Should I avoid this completely, or would this still be an okay long-term buy as long as the price is right? Regardless, I hope to be purchasing a GX soon one way or the other, so I should be hanging around these parts more often in the future.

Anyway, here are the rust pics via imgur album (let me know if this doesn't show, I can post some pics directly in the replies if not):

The left driver's side axle/suspension area seems like the biggest concern.

Oh hell no.
That will break your heart, your bank, and your balls.
Stay with a west coast, desert SW or Texas truck.
FYI, I have a Sport, and they’re great, but they come with their own unique set of problems and restrictions.
Not the “be all, end all” that I thought it was.

Oh hell no.
Welp, that's all I needed to hear.

Also good to hear the Sport isn't the "be all, end all". KDSS sounds great to me as I'm coming from a car with aftermarket beefed up swaybars, but I've given up looking specifically for a Sport model as trying to find a decent one seems to be a fools errand due to their rarity. That black wood trim sure is nice compared to the non-sport options though...😆

Thanks for the advice!

~15k, which from what I've been seeing would've been a decent price for the year/mileage/options if not for the rust. Probably could talk them down due to underbody condition (unless they're hoping they can find someone who doesn't notice or care), but I'm just going to stay away.

Too much money IMO. The rust just looks like heavy surface rust tbh, could probably be cleaned up/treated. That being said you're in New Mexico, there has got to be some pristine examples for similar money in your area.
If this truck was local to me(NY) and cost about 1/2~2/3 of what the dealer is asking, I wouldn't be concerned with that level of rust. :)

Update on this: after informing the dealer that I wasn't interested anymore due to the rust, he responded that it threw a code while they were test driving and now probably needs significant engine work anyway :rofl:.

To hijack my own thread, I've been checking some local options and found one in decent shape minus a few things (and drives very well, better than another one I test drove):
  • Front 12V power outlet looks broken
    • How much is the replacement part if I need to fix this myself?
  • One of the rear reflectors is broke
    • How much to replace?
  • Minor dashboard crack (this is the only crack thus far)
    • From what I read, this is somewhat expected/unavoidable on these cars if they didn't get the dash replaced via the recall)
  • Minor paint chips/rust around the front grill
    • Should be pretty easy to clean up/protect with some sanding and a touch up paint kit
  • Poor touch up of a rear fender scratch
    • Not a huge deal, at least it is protected from rust
  • Front bumper has lost a significant amount of clear coat (other side is similar to what's pictured)
Pics of the issues:

On the whole, it seems like it wasn't driven hard and was dealership maintained. Just some parking lot dingers and paint neglect. Probably going to pull the trigger unless something here stands out or something comes up when looking at the service records tomorrow. Question is more how much money should I try to get off to fix the 12V and reflector (and possibly paint chips)?

I will say I despise the touch screen HVAC controls even more than I thought I would (not to mention it's marginally less safe since you can't really operate the touch screen without taking your eyes off the road for a second like you can with physical buttons), but I still haven't seen any good non-Nav options pop up anywhere close to me.

Update on this: after informing the dealer that I wasn't interested anymore due to the rust, he responded that it threw a code while they were test driving and now probably needs significant engine work anyway :rofl:.

Shady as hell!!

Just an FYI - the blizzard pearl paint is not remotely easy to touch up or repair and the chipping will likely get much, much worse over time. Google “Toyota blizzard pearl chipping” to get an idea of how bad it can get. Toyota and Lexus have been very slowly expanding the scope of the recall / warranty repairs for this paint, but I have yet to find it extend earlier than 2008 models for the GX470. The clear coat chipping you see up front is also more common and worse on the blizzard pearl than other paint colors.

if you try to sand it down to touch up, you’ll find the paint chipping off in chunks. I had tiny flecks on the front of mine, and was unpleasantly surprised when simple painters tape managed to peel off a 1” x 8” gash by my headlight.

Just an FYI - the blizzard pearl paint is not remotely easy to touch up or repair and the chipping will likely get much, much worse over time. Google “Toyota blizzard pearl chipping” to get an idea of how bad it can get. Toyota and Lexus have been very slowly expanding the scope of the recall / warranty repairs for this paint, but I have yet to find it extend earlier than 2008 models for the GX470. The clear coat chipping you see up front is also more common and worse on the blizzard pearl than other paint colors.
Ugh. This one is a 2007 and after preliminary searching the earliest I've seen the recall on the GX is 2008, as you said. Definitely makes me a bit wary. The bumper is something I may end up replacing eventually anyway, so if it was just the bumper that's not the end of the world, but if it's the whole coat...

Apologies for raining on your parade - definitely not my intention. The blizzard pearl issues were, for me, the one big thing that I didn’t know prior to purchasing my GX. I wish I had, as I think I would have shopped around a bit longer.

Not saying don’t buy it, but definitely something to consider pre-purchase. Best of luck on the hunt. This is a great truck, a lot of fun to work on, and a joy to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom