Builds GW Nugget's Family Haulin Lx450 build (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They’re timbrens. It’s been a while since I set the front end up but I believe that they’re about 3” off of the bump pad at ride height. When I looked up the specs, timbren said that that they should compress about 1.5” and I left about a .75” until the shock hits metal to metal.

The 80 is about 6200/6400lbs depending on the camping set up. The front end isn’t very heavy with the little bumper and winch.View attachment 3115311

View attachment 3115312
Nice, your the only other person that I have heard or seen besides Gary and myself that marked the shocks you you can see what’s actually going on !!
And the way you set up the timbrens is how I was thinking it should be done. Captured inside the coils the way mr T designed the bump stops.

I know that spot on Kane Creek, one of my favorite trails in Moab.
Ran the trail this year at Cruise Moab and the trail leader was having people go to the left at that spot. ( I believe it’s called the squeeze) Several people hit there rear quarter panel on the rock your on.
I was near the back of a larger group, when it was my turn he try to Direct me to the left but I shook my head no and went to the right ( same line your on ) and made it through with easy and no damage 😉
I was also the only rig in the group that made it up hamburger hill unassisted.

If you’re ever interested in running any of the Western sierra trails hit me up !!
I like your style.

Cheers

Last edited:
Nice, your the only other person that I have heard or seen besides Gary and myself that marked the shocks you you can see what’s actually going on !!
And the way you set up the timbrens is how
How I was thinking it should be done. Captured inside the coils the way mr T designed the bump stops.

Ran the trail this year at Cruise Moab and the trail leader was having people go to the left at that spot. ( I believe it’s called the squeeze) Several people hit there rear quarter panel on the rock your on.
I was near the back of a larger group, when it was my turn he try to Direct me to the left but I shook my head no and went to the right ( same line your on ) and made it through with easy and no damage 😉

If you’re ever interested in running any of the Western sierra trails hit me up !!
I like your style.

Cheers
It’s definitely helpful. So far I’m really liking having a 50/50 split on travel. When I had the 4” lift it was like 70/30 up/down travel which was terrible. I don’t know how people deal with that. And the timbren in the spring is a great idea in theory but it kinda bumps against the springs and causes them to clatter, I think durobumps may fit better.

And kanes a great trail! We hit it on a Friday which kinda sucked because we were getting chased by a group of 30 side by sides the whole time and I had to bypass hamburger hill for time sake. My friend in his 80 one shot it right after me so I was a little bummed.

I’m definitely excited to go to moab again with the 80 a little more built, I got skunked on Pritchett and I’m out for revenge.

And I think late next summer I’ll be doing the rubicon! I’ll definitely hit you up🥳.

And the way you set up the timbrens is how
How I was thinking it should be done. Captured inside the coils the way mr T designed the bump stops.

I like your style.

Cheers
What’s the point in marking shocks when a 37” tire and uncut fenders is the limiting factor? Mine are set so the tires come with it a couple MM of rubbing in the worst case scenario and the shocks still have room to compress. Nice I dissect my fenders, the shocks might be my focus.

What’s the point in marking shocks when a 37” tire and uncut fenders is the limiting factor? Mine are set so the tires come with it a couple MM of rubbing in the worst case scenario and the shocks still have room to compress. Nice I dissect my fenders, the shocks might be my focus.
Because Im a suspension nerd and I like data!

There no point in explaining if you don’t already get it and my fenders are cut LOL
🤪😂🤣

There no point in explaining if you don’t already get it and my fenders are cut LOL
🤪😂🤣
My fenders are not cut like most. The rig is still stock and all natural.

The Delta DIY steering support brackets came in today.
They are beefy thick, didnt measure, but must be 1/4" thick.
But now that I am looking at them they dont directly address my panhard crack.
I will need to fab up some extra simple flat brackets like some of the Australian mfg. have in there kits.
Here are the Delta brackets:
20220919_175750.jpg

Here are the extra brackets that I need to correct the panhard crack.
You have to flip the pics in your brain because the brackets are for RHD.
Screenshot_20220919-212009.jpg
1663649610551.png
1663649688030.png

1663649480153.png

Prepping the weld area on the inside of the frame is going to be very tough with the engine in place.

I just don’t see how you would need those Delta plates.
If fact IMHO I don’t see any thing in your pictures that would address the issue your having.
The gusset will help if the weld is cracking where the tube meets the frame mount.
But I don’t think that’s your issue
The plate that that welds to the mount in my eyes doesn’t do much either as all it does is make the mount thicker.
IMO what’s needed it some gussets in front and back of the mount running with the frame to increase the mounting area.
Or if the plate that welds to the mount, third picture post 927 had wing ( gussets Build into it ) that welded to the frame that would also increase the mounting area.

I just don’t see how you would need those Delta plates.
If fact IMHO I don’t see any thing in your pictures that would address the issue your having.
The gusset will help if the weld is cracking where the tube meets the frame mount.
But I don’t think that’s your issue
The plate that that welds to the mount in my eyes doesn’t do much either as all it does is make the mount thicker.
IMO what’s needed it some gussets in front and back of the mount running with the frame to increase the mounting area.
Or if the plate that welds to the mount, third picture post 927 had wing ( gussets Build into it ) that welded to the frame that would also increase the mounting area.

After seeeing the damage I did to my panhard bar mount and how weak the factory design is for trucks that get wheeled… I’d just cut it off and start over… plate both sides of the frame and build one out of 3/16” or 1/4” material..

Here is some pics of mine after it was redone for the 3 link. Modified 4wheelunderground mount that didn’t work for my setup. I still kinda regret not plating my frame on both sides.

5CEEED8A-E5BA-4252-8D01-7981351E336E.jpeg

98CC3567-650D-4705-9DA7-18E31CE6B2CB.jpeg

63AB6308-578B-48CB-BC85-F21BE2191DCB.jpeg

E31A0E4F-C02B-4323-9AEB-078867994261.jpeg

Thank you gentleman for your suggestion & comments.
I have been pulling extra shifts at work to cover missing man power, (I've been getting a day off every 21st day since June) so I haven't had the time to take care of this. (hoping to get a 110v mig welder)
I will be driving as easy as possible on this cracked frame bracket until I have time to address the repair.
I have been watching this crack develop since 2020, so another month won't be a big deal.
Anyways, I don't know why I posted it up. Maybe I miss the shop talk & hanging out with friends...so this is as good as it gets for now.

Like I wrote, been working a lot but have time for short 30 min bursts of personal time to work on small projects.
As a reminder this rig is my daily transportation to work, it cant be down for any reason at all.
One day I noticed very small water seeping on passenger side of the block, the next day it almost over heated because the amount of lost coolant.
I found some internal corrosion at the top of my oil cooler, had to high temp JB weld it for the time being. I did get a oil cover from Slow95, but the real fear is the rusted exhaust manifold bolts :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: job. Here is a few pics.
Some vids: 5 new items by Gary Grainer - https://photos.app.goo.gl/FCEWurSkCU9kMZgX6

Screenshot_20220729-222324.jpg
20220731_051532.jpg

Posting this stuff goes to show nothing new has been going on...

I have slowly one ring at a time been repainting my bead rings. (2 completed)
The last paint job only lasted one summer.

20220919_184228.jpg

20220919_175221.jpg

I hope all is well with your families & you have good health.
God Speed till next time...

"Havin fun with the Lx & Im Out"

~~

Oh, by the way, I was wondering if I should started a Go Fund Me page for an Icon FJ44???
20220725_195817.jpg

Oct 9, 2022
Washed it to take a few posser shots. Haven't done much to the Adventure Rig lately, it's been on daily duty. :steer:
I did manage to repaint the faded bead rings, it took two months to complete all four though. I also relocated the power steering cooler.
20221009_164506.jpg

I remounted the steering cooler to the normal spot most people put where the stock paperclip is mounted then rotated the winch control box back 90* degrees to get more air to the radiator.
20221009_164603.jpg
Now Lexy is just sitting all lonesome like in her parking spot wait for me to get off the night shift to take me home.
20221009_182344.jpg

Last edited:
So Georg @orangefj45 did a complete axle rebuild including TT birfs, brakes & hand breaks with 4:88 gears. Thanks Valley Hybrids in Stockton. Ah... also a OEM master cylinder.
Since then I've installed SPC lower control arms from Slee, rebushed the upper control arms with Whiteline bushings.
The SPC control arms on one end have what they call a xAxis joint.
View attachment 2003458

View attachment 2003459

View attachment 2003460

View attachment 2003461
View attachment 2012330

It is comical at this point every budget non normal idea I have you have done at some point or similar.
Meaning I asked you about the spc lower arms. Seems you’re happy with them. But then I find this post and you’re using the upper control arm bushings I’m trying to get. Only white line uk and aus show them. Not In the us catalog.

It is comical at this point every budget non normal idea I have you have done at some point or similar.
Meaning I asked you about the spc lower arms. Seems you’re happy with them. But then I find this post and you’re using the upper control arm bushings I’m trying to get. Only white line uk and aus show them. Not In the us catalog.
I believe your nice comment needs no reply, except I did buy those bushings in 2017 & installed them in 2020.
Supply chains & demand have changed since then, things are getting stupid expensive if you can find the product in stock.

It appears that I have not posted within the last 2 years on my thread...I will post what I have done since then maybe sometime this year.
I have more on my plate then a 4x4 hobby right now. Things will get better, they always do... 39s will be my next tire, hopefully this summer.
Remember what is most important to you in life. Mine is Family.
Happy Trails to You Folks... till next time.

Gary the little "Nugget"

Family first dude I get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom