Guys I'm tapping out, should I fix small cosmetic issues or just sell her as is? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics of ferrari

IMG_8393.jpeg

65655065592__01DF6662-D964-48A5-8C98-1499B0440C53.jpeg

Thanks guys, I'm going to let her go as is. Second guessing even the work I'm going to have done next week.

I'm getting a list together of all the work I've had done in the past two years and all the issues I know of. Once I do that would you guys mind helping me appraise it?

I know I'm not getting anything close to what I've put into it and that's fine. I would rather sell it a little cheaper than fair to someone here on mud or just someone who knows cruisers in general instead of putting it up for sale on a generic car site. In 2018 when I sold my original 80 I swear I think 50 different people came to kick the tires on it who read half a slee article and decided they would knock 50% off my asking because it didn't have lockers. I can only imagine how much worse that would be now, I don't have the time or patience for that. Would REALLY like to avoid that...

Last edited:
You don't SELL Land Cruisers. You BUY Land Cruisers.
Store the one you have until you're ready.

I don't want 3 cars and im not going to have her sitting collecting dust, that just doesn't work for me. I keep a list of every little thing I need done to her, it will always be on my mind and burning my time.

@Francis K I went through a similar dilemma with my 97, which I ended up trading for a cleaner 96 Tacoma with some cash on top. The Cruiser had the typical leaks and cosmetic issues you were referring to earlier, and I watched the engine temperature like a hawk, dreading the seemingly-inevitable head gasket failure. Oil analysis showed little to no internal wear, but I was having to keep a careful eye on the oil level, and compression was so-so at around 120 PSI per cylinder.

I did end up regretting it, however, and I continue to miss the sturdy build quality, comfort, and toughness of the solid axles. The trick is to just come to terms with the fact that in spite of the vaunted Land Cruiser badge, it's still a 26+ year old Toyota with well north of 200k on the clock. If you want it to be completely trouble-free, it's best to drop it off at a respected Cruiser shop, liquidate your 401k, and be done with it.

That being said, there's no shame in cutting your losses. Despite the romantic notion of these being "forever vehicles", the reality is that interests change, passions wane, finances tighten. They get sold all the time, just like any other vehicle. It's not realistic for most people to store a vehicle for years on end; we're not Jay Leno after all. Besides, cars don't like to sit.

If I do end up getting another Cruiser, I'll go into it eyes wide open: even if it's free of major mechanical issues, it's still probably gonna be a sh!tbox, albeit one with more durability, character, charm, good looks, and all-out capability than any if the more "livable" IFS trucks offered since in the US. Looking back, I wish I had mustered the mental fortitude to keep my Cruiser and commit to the long-haul. However, depending on you tolerance for the quirks of an aging beast of a 90s SUV, they can feel like a heavy cross to bear at times.

I sold my 60 , and hated myself ever since. Yeah the 80's can be a pain in the ass. but not near as bad as that jeep tj rubicon . THat was by far the worse truck I ever worked on.Oh i sold the tj for 13000 and bought the 80 for 3200. and even the pesky heater hose was better then wrenching on the heep.

Looks to me like that red car in the picture is a commuter.

I'm also voting for selling it as is.

Does FedEx ship to North Carolina?

Sounds like it would be a decent rig to take on for someone with the time and inclination.

No way I could keep my current one if I had to pay for repairs to be done in a shop
They don't mention it on their website, but as of about 12 years ago I know they did deliver vehicles this way:
FedEx Custom Critical
They delivered a 64 Chevelle from a FedEx executive's house to the owner's of a company I used to work for. The FedEx exec didn't even know FedEx could deliver cars. The owners sent it because FedEx was a MAJOR account of theirs. The bought the Chevelle to put in their car museum. They had a lot of much better cars in the museum.

I drive 43 Miles to work each Day in a 2004 Corolla which this may hurt, but is more Reliable then the Cruiser just having Turned 302,000 Miles and the AC Still Blows Ice cold

I have an 1996 80 and a GX too.

The GX is like a Mini 100 Series - wife would DD it, but it was $60 per week - She loves it, but she Loves her Avalon for Road Trips.

As a DD a Cruiser is a Poor Choice. It's just Overkill. I use mine for Family Trips

Last weekend to Northern MI cost $120 in Gas. Everywhere it goes People always saying they Love it.

Cruiser 1.jpeg

Cruiser 2.jpeg

Cruiser 3.jpeg

I drive 43 Miles to work each Day in a 2004 Corolla which this may hurt, but is more Reliable then the Cruiser just having Turned 302,000 Miles and the AC Still Blows Ice cold

The GX is like a Mini 100 Series - wife would DD it, but it was $60 per week - She loves it, but she Loves her Avalon for Road Trips.

As a DD a Cruiser is a Poor Choice. It's just Overkill. I use mine for Family Trips

Last weekend to Northern MI cost $120 in Gas. Everywhere it goes People always saying they Love it.

View attachment 3336876
View attachment 3336877

View attachment 3336878

Hey Hornd, I'm in Metro Detroit...

A little late to be asking at this stage but curious who works on her for you? Or do you do it yourself?

View attachment 3336876
View attachment 3336877

View attachment 3336878
I got a lot of compliments on mine too, even though it was pretty rough cosmetically.

I relate to your post entirely. Mine is what I would call *sorted* but that is after years and years of dumping money into it (which I still continue to do anyway). I just simply don't use it for what I built it for very much anymore and with my second kid on the way, the likelihood of that changing anytime soon is incredibly low.

If you do sell it, you'll regret it. If you don't sell it, you'll regret it.

That said, not with this thread is about at all; I'm in camp 'as-'is' as well, especially since it seems like you've taken such great care of it along the way, a few cosmetic things should be of no concern.

I use mine as my primary daily with 4 total vehicles at home. I take it to a reputable import indy for all work when things break. I have 6 offices i drive to throughout the week across opposite ends of the county. I dont think about preservation or what the future will hold for it. I dont put a bigger emphasis on the fuel than it is. These are all just material possessions and they are worth what joy you allow yourself to get from them. Far more money is lost in transaction cost (even if you buy wholesale) of selling and buying vehicles than in keeping one of these on the road. Would it be improper( I'm not familiar with whatever entity(s) and tax arrangements you have) to expense out the maintenance and fuel to your business and use the little Italian thing on evenings and weekends?

All that, and you're not even going to share with your fellow 'Mudders what causes the door rattles...?

All that, and you're not even going to share with your fellow 'Mudders what causes the door rattles...?

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I tightened the bolts in the window bracket holder thingy, one was stripped so it was too loose....all set. Luckily I have ten million spare bolts, screws and misc crap from an 80 I stripped down at a pick and pull.

Last edited:
I use mine as my primary daily with 4 total vehicles at home. I take it to a reputable import indy for all work when things break. I have 6 offices i drive to throughout the week across opposite ends of the county. I dont think about preservation or what the future will hold for it. I dont put a bigger emphasis on the fuel than it is. These are all just material possessions and they are worth what joy you allow yourself to get from them. Far more money is lost in transaction cost (even if you buy wholesale) of selling and buying vehicles than in keeping one of these on the road. Would it be improper( I'm not familiar with whatever entity(s) and tax arrangements you have) to expense out the maintenance and fuel to your business and use the little Italian thing on evenings and weekends?

It's honestly not the money it's comfort and time, driving a 26 year old built up truck in stop and go traffic isn't the most fun.

Hey Hornd, I'm in Metro Detroit...

A little late to be asking at this stage but curious who works on her for you? Or do you do it yourself?
I do 95%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom