Guess what came off the engine today... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My harmonic balancer pulley...that's what!

I took my rig to Mark's for a valve adjust since the valve train had a distinctive tappety tap that came about from another machanic's sloppy work. Mark fixed that right up and the valves are smoother than ever, of course. Kudos to Mark!

On the way home from his shop, I had just gotten off the freeway and was about 3 miles from home and then I heard a fairly loud whirring noise and then a small TING! as the front half of the pulley decided it had had enough. All of the rivets (bolts?) sheared off flush with the balancer and the 2-groove pulley just fell forward. No other damage to surrounding components.

Mark...I guess you have some more work :) ...and do you think this was the intermittent sound we were chasing?

Last edited:
I wish I could say you where not about to enter a world of s*** but I can't. I just went through this and it was a real whip. If and I mean if you can find a used replacement jump on it. The part is $$$$$$$

Last edited:
It must be related to the work Mark did.....obviously! ( just kidding)

the only thing that i can think of causing this might be over tensioning of the V belts and or nearly 30 years of being used ...

It must be related to the work Mark did.....obviously! ( just kidding)

I know you kid, but rest assured it was NOT related to his work in any way, shape or form. Just luck of the draw!

Oh, and the motor was rebuilt 50k miles ago. I don't think the belts were too tight as they had factory spec slack in them. But previous to me...who knows?

Last edited:
When I heard about this, it was a real W-T-F ! moment... I'm guessing you found your noise :rolleyes:

Can't tell if those were bolts, or the just the original rivets that gave, from the pic anyway. The shinny area looks a bit larger than the rivet heads, more like a washer, but hard to say. In any case, the elasometric bonding crap must've failed and let the fasteners loosen, if the rivets were still there... Don't know if they remove it or not for a reman or repair. :meh:

Was there any other damage ? Is your key-way on the crank ok ?

Pic of what the rivets look like, if you have not seen them before.
pulley0001.jpg

Can you post a pic of the crank snout ?

Yeah, I didn't manage to get a pic of the crank snout, but I will get a pic this weekend if not sooner. It was dark in the garage at my dad's shop. It looks like the woodruff key was beat up from what I could see., but not too much damage...let me check it closer to say for certain. So, when the pulley let loose it just stepped away from the balancer and fell over into the belts that had slackened. Luckily I was at a very low speed just minutes off of the freeway.

Here is a closer pic of the rivet hole and the backside of the pulley.

Last edited:
you were real lucky if nothing else was damaged...you need to really check the crankshaft or get someone to make sure its not damaged.

that must have been making noise for a while........

Georg, have you ever seen these Harmonic Balancers repaired with bolts ?

Anyone know if the Aussie aftermarket ones still available?

I see some made by ATP, at Rock Auto. Anyone know if those are Chinese or American made? Or elsewhere?

i have not tried to repair them by bolting them together. noit a risk i'd want to take.
i have seen the rivets work themselves loose. that's usually caused by a vibration and in turn will snowball into more vibration. normally they're not very consistant but accompanied by a distinct noise when they do act up.

ask me, i'd try to find a good used oem balancer. they very seldomly give any trouble and you won't find a better quality part out there.

i bet i have a couple on the shelf.......

hth

georg @ valley hybrids

Thanks for checking into this, guys. MUCH appreciated to this Cruiser noob. I am curious to see the balancer itself once removed.

The pics of the pulley are hard to read as far as what exactly was in place...bolts or the stock rivets?

Just thankful it didn't come loose at higher RPMs/speed! That would have been bad!

Ok, no Chinese crap.

Since you're obviously gonna need one, you should see if Mark has a supply; if not, maybe Georg could get one to SnT for a MUD ship ?

:D

I'll give Mark a ring today and see if he does. If not, hopefully Georg can provide. :) Thanks guys.

What noise was it making and under what conditions?

It sounded like a flapping sound. Similar to loose valve chatter but a little sharper sounding. Actually...if you remember when you were a kid and put playing cards so they would flap in the spokes of your bicycle. Sort of like that!

It happened at pretty much any RPM...idle or under load. Sometimes not consistent with RPM speed...and sometimes it was. It was really weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom