GSMTR 2017 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was playing with welding Cruiser spider gears the other day, I did a couple the way I pictured earlier so they can be pulled in and out of the carrier... I don't like it though, they have a lot of play from tooth to tooth and I'm worried that's going to be too much of a shock load (unlike a lunchbox where the tooth spacing is very close). So I'm just going to bring a set of regular spiders and a crosspin.

Sorry I didn't reply to your first post - that was my first thought, just too many fusible links with a spool, worse yet that kinda shock load, when combined with running sticky 39's with Toyo axles (even with Longfields, chromo hub gears, chryo'd ring/pinion, 6 pin hubs, etc. etc.).

When the ARB finally takes a bath - will probably be a bad day, I'll probably just be happy to get an open spare put in, and then hang out on the bunny slopes for the rest of the trip....

I was playing with welding Cruiser spider gears the other day, I did a couple the way I pictured earlier so they can be pulled in and out of the carrier... I don't like it though, they have a lot of play from tooth to tooth and I'm worried that's going to be too much of a shock load (unlike a lunchbox where the tooth spacing is very close). So I'm just going to bring a set of regular spiders and a crosspin.

Sorry I didn't reply to your first post - that was my first thought, just too many fusible links with a spool, worse yet that kinda shock load, when combined with running sticky 39's with Toyo axles (even with Longfields, chromo hub gears, chryo'd ring/pinion, 6 pin hubs, etc. etc.).

When the ARB finally takes a bath - will probably be a bad day, I'll probably just be happy to get an open spare put in, and then hang out on the bunny slopes for the rest of the trip....

I agree and I'm in the same boat, but with a much more tame (more sheetmetal) rig.

Plus I have to drive it +700 miles home...

That never stopped Steve (FL Cruiser), nor Eric Jones, who owned the battlewagon before Steve :hillbilly:. I think it's an FJ60 cult thing or what not. Granted - with the diesel, Steve took sadistic trail repairs to all new heights....

I agree and I'm in the same boat, but with a much more tame (more sheetmetal) rig.

Plus I have to drive it +700 miles home...

Everyone ready?
I just got to build another driveshaft, fix pwr steering hoses, build a skidplate, re do brake lines, install seatbelt harness, get instrument panel working, wire up trailer brakes and a few other odds and ends.

Matt, There's enough resources, minds, parts etc to help you out if you do break. The one time I broke so bad (Toybox) that there wasn't any way it could be driven home, I put the 60 on Brett's trailer and drove his 40 all the way home. We will get creative in the event of major breakage.

I'll probably leave 5AM Monday morning. It will probably put me about the same place and time as Luis and Dennis on I75.

I'm not ready..
Current list is new spring bushings, fix a broken idler pulley, valve adjustment, full fluid swap, spare rear driveshaft build, rear storage setup, install willwood manual proportioning valve, hook up my triple sticks (got it built into the floor last night) and finish my rear 1/4 protection (almost done with that). I'm planning to leave Sunday morning. It may get pushed to Monday.

Good to hear on the breakage, that's what I figured but I still try my best not to be the trail burden...

Good to hear on the breakage, that's what I figured but I still try my best not to be the trail burden...

It happens, so long as you deal with it, usually all fine and well. Worst case - you get towed back to camp and the hunt for spares starts. 60's are so common these days - imagine you can find someone with a spare for nearly anything.

We should start talking about trail preferences - I've already reached out to a few of the GA folks we've wheeled with in past, hoping that between them, and Dennis, Steve and I, we might be able to have a few days of nice solid hardcore wheeling. Inbetween would be nice to catch up with Joe Bocek and have him show us around some more - he goes several times annually, and knows where to go for all the waterfalls, views, petrified cactus, etc. which makes for some more relaxed wheeling.

I'll probably be back and forth with the Florida crew and some out of state friends I made last year, there's talk of a semi-hardcore 60 run late in the week..
I'd like to hardcore stuff but my wagon even with the doubler and lockers still would probably slow a group of trucks like you or Steve, Dennis etc. I'm playing it by ear.

Hi to all:
I work on my 40 this weekend check wich air line lockers gear oil, ,grease front end etc...
Tomorow will check brake on my trailer and load spear parts just in case. I will be going with my family mom dad wife and doughter leaving Apopka around 7:00am call me or email me to find a place to meet monday

We should start talking about trail preferences - I've already reached out to a few of the GA folks we've wheeled with in past, hoping that between them, and Dennis, Steve and I, we might be able to have a few days of nice solid hardcore wheeling. Inbetween would be nice to catch up with Joe Bocek and have him show us around some more - he goes several times annually, and knows where to go for all the waterfalls, views, petrified cactus, etc. which makes for some more relaxed wheeling.

Had a blast with Bill and Dennis last year. Wheeled with Luis and Carter a few years ago, always had fun. Don't know what yall's priorities are this year but hoping we can do it again. Never wheeled with Steve but from the looks of it he's gonna run circles around us, well at least me anyway.

The way we've done it the last few years is to hit the harder trails later in the week. For Instance Walden's Ridge, Tr 12/13, Tr21 and Little School Bus make for fun early week trails and then later hit Rail Trail(39), Cadillac Hill, Stair Steps, Upper 3 and even Rattle Rock. Of course that all depends on the trail conditions and weather.

I really wanna hit a couple of trails this year that I haven't been on the last couple of years. Rail Trail (through the creek bed, last year we turned up Cadillac Hill), Stair Steps and last year I hit Rattle Rock solo the day after a soaking rain, it sucked but I want another crack at it.

We'll be up there Sunday afternoon.

Walden's Ridge (Tr 75) 2015
20150507_124457 (2017_03_07 13_55_08 UTC).jpg

Rail Trail creek bed (2013):
IMG_3776 (2017_03_07 13_55_08 UTC).JPG

Stair Steps 2015
100 (2017_03_07 13_55_08 UTC).JPG

beginning of Rattle Rock 2016, everyone bailed soon after this pic
20160521_115600 (2017_03_07 13_55_08 UTC).jpg

Last edited:
Those don't look too hard in the pictures :hillbilly:
That Walden's Ridge looks like fun :hmm:

I am up for all of those - but will admit, Walden's Ridge caused a mild case of pucker in that one spot. Thinking the first entrance and pivot is similar. Requires patience.

Don't forget Cadillac Hill - super fun. Would do that whole loop more than once with a smaller more nimble group.
Rail Trail. Several different folks have said that was fun, could mix it up with above.
Rattle Rocks - shame about the rain, had started up it earlier in the week and when dry, nice fun crawling.
Stair Steps - didn't even get to see that one.

I know there are several others I want to hit - hope my junk holds up, much less the FI/SM420 glitch lets me get up that damn hill....

I am up for all of those - but will admit, Walden's Ridge caused a mild case of pucker in that one spot. Thinking the first entrance and pivot is similar. Requires patience.

Don't forget Cadillac Hill - super fun. Would do that whole loop more than once with a smaller more nimble group.
Rail Trail. Several different folks have said that was fun, could mix it up with above.
Rattle Rocks - shame about the rain, had started up it earlier in the week and when dry, nice fun crawling.
Stair Steps - didn't even get to see that one.

I know there are several others I want to hit - hope my junk holds up, much less the FI/SM420 glitch lets me get up that damn hill....

I'm game for whatever but just my personal preferences...

WR is a fun trail and aside from the 100 yard ridge section pretty easy. I'll admit I've run Walden's Ridge so many times now its kind of lost its luster not to mention a pain in the arse to get to. That said I'd run it again if you guys want to, that makes for a good early week trail.

Cadillac Hill is one of those love/hate trail for me. Personally I'd rather do the base of Cadillac and skip the steep hill part, then turn back downhill and run the Rail Trail creek bottom instead. That will take you to Upper 3 which is elective but a good trail.

hey matt did you used the 3f bellhousing for your 5speed swap?

No, but I'm not running a Toyota transmission. What are you wanting to do?

Shoot me a PM so this thread doesn go too far off topic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom