Grounding strap location? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Where should this ground be bolted?

The previous owner replaced the valve cover gasket, and I guess forgot to reconnect this strap.
DSC04082.jpg
Could someone please tell me where the loose end goes?
Thanks
DSC04082.jpg

Last edited:
From the valve cover (or where it is now should be fine too) to one of the cowl plate bolts.

Last edited:
Thank you. I found a picture that seems to place the loose end on a bolt very near the top of the firewall (just below the very top edge), but it seems to be plastic there. If someone could shoot a pic of its location I would appreciate it. As far as the other end, it should really be connected to the valve cover by one of the valve cover to head bolts?

Thanks again,

What's a cowl plate?

Pic

You can see it here about 1/4 way down in the pic, slightly left of center:
EngCompartment.JPG

Maybe cowl plate = firewall...?

Ok, cowl panel.

It's just what the FSM always calls the area with the Heater Hoses and where engine wire bundle crosses over. More specific than just 'firewall'

In my mind subconsciously I just started calling the engine wire plastic sheath thing the cowl plate.

Gotcha, just not a term I was familiar with. I just tore the front clip off my wife's car and can see myself asking these questions in a week or so. :D

You can see it here about 1/4 way down in the pic, slightly left of center:

Thanks 80ways. I suppose the female connector is between the plastic bracket and the firewall not right behind the bolt head, and the other end is on a valve cover bolt? Not trying to be thick headed, its just my actual OCD.

Thanks everyone else for the terminology lesson. :D

Thanks 80ways. I suppose the female connector is between the plastic bracket and the firewall not right behind the bolt head, and the other end is on a valve cover bolt? Not trying to be thick headed, its just my actual OCD.

Thanks everyone else for the terminology lesson. :D

the goal with that strap is to ground from the engine to the body.

put it somewhere where it contacts metal on both end in the general area around the valve cover and the upper firewall. Which specific bolt doesn't really matter, you'll still get current if you're one bolt over somewhere.

Putting the strap behind the bolt head up on the cowl panel will ground it through the bolt into the body.

gndstrap1.jpg

body : plastic : strap : bolt

cheers,
george.

Oh, and the lower end of that ground is already connected to the correct bolt in your original picture. HTH.

ok so I'm missing this right now for the longest time. I'm having electrical gremlins but I don't know if this missing piece is the culprit. is this a redundant ground connection? I see that it grounds the cylinder head to the body.

ok so I'm missing this right now for the longest time. I'm having electrical gremlins but I don't know if this missing piece is the culprit. is this a redundant ground connection? I see that it grounds the cylinder head to the body.
Redundant? No.

Bad grounds can cause some really strange things... replacing the missing one and checking the others would be on my short list.

Would I be doing bad things if I bypass the metal heater core coolant return pipe that this ground wire is bolted to? The metal return is leaking coolant on my 94 FZJ80 and until I can afford the new and improved metal return I was hoping I could just bypass it with 5/8" heater hose and thereby bypassing any potential grounding in that pipe.

Would I be doing bad things if I bypass the metal heater core coolant return pipe that this ground wire is bolted to? The metal return is leaking coolant on my 94 FZJ80 and until I can afford the new and improved metal return I was hoping I could just bypass it with 5/8" heater hose and thereby bypassing any potential grounding in that pipe.

Snap a picture, OP's ground wasn't connected to any pipes.

i think you are confused. one end bolts to the firewall, the other to the block. yes, on the block end the bracket/pipe share the same bolt hole, but i'm confident you can figure out whether a shorter bolt or a stack of washers will secure that end.

Here’s a pic minus the 5/8” heater hose from core outlet to pipe return. Ground going from block/heater pipe bracket to firewall. Confused as to whether it is serving to ground the pipe as well as the block or is it just a convenience to share that one bolt? My concern is that by not running coolant through that pipe the ground is bolted to am I creating a grounding problem in the cooling system?

098885F0-F6A9-4A5F-903D-EBE5D8471643.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom