Gov't Shutdown = Parks Closed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know this is going to turn into a political debate. Just hope it doesn't get heated.

Sad the parks will close.

This includes

* Charles Pinckney National Historic Site
* Fort Sumter National Monument
* Ninety Six National Historic Site near Greenwood
* Kings Mountain National Military Park
* Cowpens National Battlefield
* The Blue Ridge Parkway
* Great Smoky Mountains National Park
* Carl Sandburg Home
* Fort Raleigh
* Cape Lookout National Seashore
* Cape Hatteras National Seashore

Sumter is going to be a hard one considering all the things planned for it next week for the 150 year reunion of the start of the civil war there.

And talking about a big blow. NC is going to be hit hard if the BRC and the Great Smokey Mountain Park close. I don't know how this will effect OBX national beaches. Those 4x4 areas require permits and if the places are closed there will be no beaches to go drive on except up north. Then there is the whole national forest system. I cannot find any info on if it will be closed.

Last edited:
lol u crack me up. U don't really think the govt. will be shut down more than a day or two at most do u??

lol u crack me up. U don't really think the govt. will be shut down more than a day or two at most do u??

You sound so surprised that the gov would do something stupid.

We're talking about the guy that created Cash for Clunkers, and getting rid of the light bulb for gosh's sake. Shutting down is all in a days work for this administration.:rolleyes:

Jeremy

Most of the Blue Ridge Parkway would close and its operations would drastically be scaled back, according to a North Carolina parks ranger.

Visitor centers and parkway offices would close and access to park areas would be denied.

The parkway celebrated its 75th anniversary last year and closed for 26 days during the last federal shutdown in 1995 to 1996.

We're talking about the guy that created Cash for Clunkers, and getting rid of the light bulb for gosh's sake. Shutting down is all in a days work for this administration.:rolleyes:

Jeremy

I'm not putting blame on any one person or any one side. I think they all are to blame. C-span is a real eye opener. All I see is a bunch of "hey, look at me" and "I'm not to blame they are" sad very sad. I'm loosing faith in our gov on being able to run the country.

Oh I am not either, who's to say who would be right to sit in the big chair at this point. Maybe it'll get him reelected like it did Clinton in 96'.:bang:

Jeremy

I have nothing but faith that they will f*%k up alot of peoples lives, we were looking at a park vacation at the end of the month.

"I don't know if you've noticed, but our two-party system is a bowl of s*** looking at itself in the mirror."
— Lewis Black

"[A]ll power is originally vested in, and consequently derived from, the people.
That government is instituted and ought to be exercised for the benefit of the people;
which consists in the enjoyment of life and liberty and the right of acquiring property,
and generally of pursuing and obtaining happiness and safety.
That the people have an indubitable, unalienable, and indefeasible right
to reform or change their government whenever it be found adverse
or inadequate to the purpose of its institution
."
James Madison​

I think that time has come...

So, when do we actually have the sense and courage as the collective citizens of this country to drive real change?

Vote for fiscal responsibility... understand that the welfare state is dead one way or the other, whether through economic destruction under the weight of debt, or a serious reduction in the governments spending habits.

It may be too late already :mad:

I can live with the parks closing for a while if it wakes people up to how serious this issue is.

Yeah no one wants to really take care of the people....all they want to know is what time they are going to be on tv.....funny I had the same conversation with my neighbor this afternoon....its time to take things into our own hands and take back our country.

i'm afraid that in this point and time in our lives it will take an ********** to really get the govt.s attention. Just riles me that when they pass some new law like the healthcare @###$ the 1st thing they do is exempt themselves. All i really know is that as a christian things will not get better because we are all part of a greater plan and the wheels are a turnin!!

Last edited by a moderator:
At the end of the day what would you do? Strive to feed your family or depend on others to support you? Our government has NO obligation to YOU. WE live free in this country, please quit looking for a handout. Work hard or get out! I dont care if you are red, yellow, black or white we are all the same in Jesus site. And people bitch to me about mexicans? I guess the work ethic is the reason why! LaZY Mother FeeeerS. I cant get a job. No $hit your lazy! My bad no your not. Its just easier to get a handout rather than a job!!! BTW I have been trying to hire people for the past three months, and everyone says to me "Can you pay me under the table so it dont mess with my unemployment?" F((ck YWU

yep! that is about the truth of it.

What is funny here is that fiscal responsibility, which I think is what we need in government, is probably the source of the most discomfort and least amount of accommodation to the common citizen. This means we lose more of the most "taken for granted" government services to maintain the basics. Military, social services, nuts and bolts. That should be the responsible decision. Take a step back, pay down the debts, close the deficit, and budget responsibly going forward.

It isn't rocket science; we can't float the entire ship when we bought/maintain it on credit.

Dont get me wrong, it sux that the parks are closed but I'm more concerned with my brother and his wife. Brother retired with 25 years in the Air Force and his wife is still active duty. Paychecks were less than half what they were suposed to be. Who's going to cover all the fee's when the mortgage and all the automatic payments dont clear because the Gov didn't deem it important enough to pay the troops?

Fiscal responsibility is REALLY hard. We all want it in government. I know I do. It comes with a cost in government just as it does in our own personal lives when we take fiscal responsibility for ourselves.

We all have to scale back our normal expectation of life that keeps us living paycheck to paycheck, just as the government needs to scale back what we expect of it to keep from devaluing the currency (by printing) and borrowing to keep a larger raft afloat than what is absolutely critical at this time of global and civil crisis.

Hard times for everyone indeed. I wish my best to all because I know it is never easy...and it seems to be getting harder.

The real danger is if the world decides that the US dollar is no longer the "safest" common currency, those that finance our debt at low rates today will no longer do that, and then what... watch our interest expense explode as we have to raise rates to pull in the outside investment. We are only at the begining stage of a crisis that could cripple the world economy (we are a huge % of that economy... as we go, the world goes). Unless we vote in true fiscal responsibility at the expense of the gov't "perks", we are in deep sh!t.

Tea Party has it's whacko fringe, but at least they understand this basic premise. Let's make the 2010 election just the beginning. 2012 could save this country, or ruin it. I really believe this is a turning point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom