Gotta Few More Mods Underway... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a question for ya. Was there any reason that you changed? Have you ever broken a toyota knuckle? Sweet either way keep up the awesome work.

I've sheared studs twice & cracked one knuckle, didn't break completely though. Going to the open knuckle design lets me run the larger & stronger D60 outers & opens up the option to go 35 spline. I believe the limiting factor on this hybrid axle is the weakness of the LC R & P. That's why I'm hesitant to run fatter shafts on this one, so I'll keep it 30 spline. I've been running 6 lug front 8 lug rear for years & it isn't ideal :hillbilly: so I'll get rid of that. I wouldn't trust LC knuckles for hydro-assist, which is what I have planned also. Already seen a broken Six Shooter knuckle arm so that's another reason to swap outers. Larger knuckle studs & a wider contact patch on the D60 stuff too. I think I have a pic of one time shearing all 4 studs :eek: at BHCC '99:
brokedown.jpg

Last edited:
I reinforced the top of the housing & have already started the rough cuts on the rock ring portion of the diff cover. I'll finish up the diff cover & set all this aside cuz I gotta complete my tube fenders on the :pig:alanche.
DSC00807.JPG

FYI, you'll need 6 lug D60 hubs if you wanna keep the stock rear axle. I haven't decided on an inner axle seal yet. I fabbed up a mount that holds a stock D60 inner seal on the :pig:s housing but the seal doesn't provide much deflection if the axles aren't close to 100% true. I think Seals-It sells one that's ideal, haven't pursued it yet though. You having knuckle issues too?

Diff Armor:

Almost done here :D It's still in the rough stages w/ some minor trimming to do. I'll add the inner pieces next. I used my 20 ton press to form the bends. As you can see, I had a little trouble keeping the upper section straight & had to cut, reform & butt weld due to deformity :doh: Still gotta drill the mounting holes too. I didn't notice the holes in the housing weren't all uniform so I had to clip 2 of the bottom pieces for nut clearance:
DSC00808.JPG

Hey I saw an axle of yours sitting up against the wall over at Hiram 4X4......:doh:

My Dynatrac steering arm arrived (1" thick). I had also ordered some 4340 studs from another vendor. I specified the arm to be blank so I can drill & tap myself. This arm will have the hydro-assist cylinder mounted to it via a double shear bracket & I'll fab up another bracket off the diff cover. I won't get to that for a while though.....
DSC00859.JPG

Refabbed Battery Box & Steering Gear Area

I wanted to lose a little weight, so out goes the dual batteries in favor of just a single. I cut down the old tray & lightened it up some.

The outlet for the PSC pump was tapped far back in which the fitting interfered w/ the frame, so you know what gets cut out ;p I needed to clean this area up anyway cuz I had to notch the frame for winch clearance.

I'll pick up a P/S pump pulley, since I fubared the old one getting it off w/ a puller :rolleyes: & a brake master cyl. later today so I can get both the P/S pump & hydroboost units installed.
DSC00866.JPG
DSC00865.JPG

Finished up the steering gear & refabbed frame area. This PSC box has a wider O.D. shaft section so I won't be able to reuse my steering frame brace. I coulda cut & enlaged the area that goes around the shaft but I felt w/ hydro-assist some of the pressure would be taken off the box directly. Also had to clearance the radiator shroud - no biggie. The other 2 Saginaw boxes I had fit perfect, but this one is slightly different :meh:
DSC00871.JPG

Looking good Chuck! Were you having problems steering before? Why did you swap boxes?

Yes, bound up tires in the rocks w/ what I had was :mad: The PSC unit has internal mods, they just didn't tap the box & put their fancy caps on it :D It's a better piece of mind for me having more of an "engineered" box than if I was to just tap the old AGR box :meh:

Hydroboost Installed

I had to make a small spacer bracket since the rod on the hydroboost unit was too long. I had tapped it as far as I could to run the nut & brake pedal attachment closer to the unit. I had to trim the rod some too. Now it fits perfect ;p Also made a new brake line. I hammered on the new P/S pulley instead of pressing it on w/ my shop press :rolleyes: & installed the new P/S pump too. A few other items I'll need to get is a clutch master rebuild kit, all hydro lines & gas tank sending unit. Other than that no other mechanical stuff needs fixin :bounce:
DSC00872.JPG
DSC00873.JPG

Lower Axle Brackets

I wrestled w/ the :idea: of using the brackets on the old axle. So, I cut them off & started reworking/ patching & finally decided I didn't want to go that route. Woulda been easier & quicker but I wanted to seperate how the old links attached to the axle. I ended up cutting out some new pieces using 1/4" plate. You can see how one of the plates is longer than the other. These will be fully boxed & yes they're bent to match the existing angle of my lower links. I'll burn these in then start on the shock/ lower coil mounts next.
DSC00874.JPG

Last edited:
Got some progress done, but no pics. The frame is cleaned of the old panhard mount & part of the upper coil mount. I've been designing the axle coil retainer/ shock attachment area. I'll reuse the part of the old retainer. This time the shock body will pass thru the retainer so I can get more shock travel. The old way, the shock was mounted above it. The coils will be closer to the frame due to the D60 knuckle assy. So, I have to readjust the upper coil/ shock retainer. The upper mounting assy. will have another tube, similar to the style I fabbed for the :pig: Pics will follow shortly :D

Axle Brackets Again:

Figured I post up some close ups before I box it in & burn to the housing. I used 1/4" plate for the main & shock mounts, 3/16" for the coil retainer & 1/8" for the tabs to the vert. plates:
DSC00876.JPG
DSC00877.JPG
DSC00878.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom