Got bored and ordered a new amp, speakers and “sub” (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Don’t have much going on at the shop next week so I ordered some stuff I didn’t really need. We’re a dealer for Memphis so I figured I’d go that route. Plus they’ve got a 6.5 inch sub in their Mojo series so I thought I’d give a try. The factory system is totally perfect. No blown speakers. Amp works fine. I’ve just always played around with stereos in previous vehicles so I didn’t want to ruin my streak. I’ll let you know how the little Mojo does in the factory location. May be a good option for a replacement. I’ll post some pictures when I start tearing into it. Good. Ew is...I’m gonna have perfect factory door speaker, sub and amp up for sale pretty soon if anyone isn’t looking!

Does it have the Mark Levinson system?

My wife's LX has a blown speaker, and I want to replace all of them. Does Memphis have speakers that match the OHM rating of the factory speakers?

Alternatively, I'd be interested in the passenger door speaker and the subwoofer if both are in good working condition...

I’d want to sell all of it together but look for it in the for sale section soon. I’m doing Memphis’s new 6.5 sixfive series components in the front, the 5 1/4 m class in the back. They’ve got a new 5 channel amp I’m gonna try out too. I’m sure the entry level stuff would work fine to just replace a speaker if you needed.

What is the factory system in your truck? I'm curious about these speakers you're using. At first glance they're pricier than I had been shopping for but realized there's more in the kits I saw online than the speaker itself. Have you used these same speakers (I know the sub is new) before? Also, any reason you're opting for the 5 1/4 for the rears over another set of 6.5?

Factory is a Nakamichi. I pulled the rear door panel off to see if I could do 6.5 in the back and still keep the little enclosure the factory 5 1/4 is in and there isn’t enough room. We do a ton of the m class series with or without an amp and they have always done great.

The Mark Levinson factory amp on the LX may be different but when I added a JL Audio 4 channel and JL Audio mono amp bypassing my JBL factory amp on my 02 LC with factory Nav there was an annoying buzz/ whine. Even after adding the JL Audio Fix it couldn’t be resolved. The stereo shop that did mine took it all back out and returned it to stock and refunded me about $2k. I replaced all speakers and sub with CDT Audio, but I still wish I could upgrade from the factory amp without getting annoying feedback.

Just unboxed everything. Hope to throw it in tomorrow at some point

681E1C69-829A-4B52-B2AB-00CAC01E28BF.jpeg

I put a JBL MS-8 DSP under my passenger seat on my 2001 LX and it fits like it was made to go there. So you might want to look up the size for the MS-8 compared to the amp you got.

I put a JBL MS-8 DSP under my passenger seat on my 2001 LX and it fits like it was made to go there. So you might want to look up the size for the MS-8 compared to the amp you got.
That ms-8 is a gem, I deleted my tape deck with an aftermarket singles din only because I couldn’t find an ms8 for a good price.

That ms8 is pretty big and there’s a load of space under that seat....there’s so many small footprint amps available.

That Optimus setup in the back is wondering when you're gonna get bored and throw it away :)

Bbbahahahaaaaaa!!!! I seriously think I got that in ‘91 for Christmas from.......Radio Shack. Been working like a champ ever since. It’s been making its way from office to office and finally landed in a storage room with a workbench.

I’m curious on the Mojo sub. Their site shows that sub with a mounting depth of 5” and the stock enclosures can only accept about 2.75” mounting depth. Is this the sub?
CAB62421-494E-4526-A29E-E246CF509160.png

It is. But we’re gonna do a little custom work and make it fit. Should sound really good in that factory enclosure once we get the right amount of air for it

Anyone that isn’t ready to fabricate a new enclosure particularly to provide more airspace (let alone woofer depth) is opening can of worms on factory location woofer swap that big. Probably gonna rattle the s*** out of the panel anyways and require structural reinforcement. Definitely not knocking you op cuz I’m sure you know this but I feel like woth many things on our cruisers, folks will read about something “easy” and fail to realize that is based on someone else’s skill set. If the depth for factory is 2.75 and lot of guys are going with the aftermarket five channels, two options seem pretty sound:

Run front four channels at four ohm (way easier to find quality lower cost speaker sets) and run the rear channel at 2 ohms (most budget amps should be able to do this. Then you can get more power to the woofer. This would be a solid choice

Or you run all channels at 4 ohms and have to get a bigger 5 channel amp (probably means bigger footprint too) that will properly move a subwoofer at four ohms. 4 ohm subwoofers are a bit easier to find in the 6.5 size too.

Tang band makes great stuff

That ms-8 is a gem, I deleted my tape deck with an aftermarket singles din only because I couldn’t find an ms8 for a good price.

That ms8 is pretty big and there’s a load of space under that seat....there’s so many small footprint amps available.

This is my system in case it helps you with any ideas. It took me over a year just working on it when I could to get it to sound just the way I want it. It seems with modern stereo equipment, the dependability is not what it used to be. So it is two steps forward and one step back.

Pic heavy stereo build & wanted to share it in case it helps someone in the future

I have an MS-8 at home that i picked up for my tundra but never used.

What are they going for these days? I'd probably be willing to sell it.

It is. But we’re gonna do a little custom work and make it fit. Should sound really good in that factory enclosure once we get the right amount of air for it
That’s a lot of depth to try to overcome for just modifying the stock enclosure. I think a fabricated one built from the ground up may end up working better, but I’m definitely interested to see a major stock enclosure mod work. Post some pics of the progress when you get a chance.

That factory enclosure is pretty cool. Perhaps one could fiberglass a copy of it and give a thicker mounting ring to get clearance and wrap the ring protruding from the panel in vinyl (panel would obviously need a cutout . Probably Wouldn’t accommodate for the airspace that specific mojo needs but then again that mojo probably isn’t going to sound that great sealed anyways in a small enclosure. Would work for a lot of other subs that are over 2.75-6+ inches in-depth. Opens options up quite a bit. Any fiberglassers on this forums there’s a solid product idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom