Got a repair estimate from a dealership... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As touched on above, although most people don’t know it, dealership service writers are commissioned salespeople. Their job is to talk people into getting work done. Period. Avoid them at all costs.

Any competent indie mechanic can work of these vehicles. Most issues can be diagnosed right on this forum, even if you don’t wrench.

Separately, when dealing with any 15+ year old vehicle with 200k miles, there’s after a big difference between what CAN be done and what SHOULD be done. A good indie mechanic and/or this forum are great places to figure out the difference.

bpe3

I noticed you mentioned replacing your own ball joints. I just did them, it’s doable with patience and a big breaker bar. Just DO NOT get the Moogs. Call Cruiser Outfitters and get the 555 joints they sell. We paid something around $150 shipped for all four.

@Slashzero Glad all worked out well with Gus. Not sure if I missed it, but post some pics of your rig. I love the green and it seems to be pretty rare around here.

I've posted a pic with the new tires. My truck is pretty plain, as I'm trying to keep it mostly stock. I love the classic look, and I don't do serious off road (rock climbing) driving. I am considering taking a week to do the New Hampshire trail that starts at the Canadian border and drives all the way South across the state, and even that it states stock trucks can do it.

Trans New Hampshire Expedition - Self Guided - ExploringNH

Here are a few pics. I'm no photographer. I will try to get some action shots next time I'm out and about.

This was the day I bought it.
321D5553-AEAA-45A4-BC4E-07712135CADD.jpeg

Still had the original tires here. First road trip.
A045AE24-E782-4065-99AB-7361473BF1AD.jpeg

First major beach drive. Still with original street tires.
80149654-B288-46C3-9A79-A2725DAF70C9.jpeg

With the new contis (which so far ride so great I can't believe they are All Terrain tires)
7D3B56E6-3FD2-4628-B797-9B4521243733.jpeg

@Slashzero Glad all worked out well with Gus. Not sure if I missed it, but post some pics of your rig. I love the green and it seems to be pretty rare around here.

Last edited:
I noticed you mentioned replacing your own ball joints. I just did them, it’s doable with patience and a big breaker bar. Just DO NOT get the Moogs. Call Cruiser Outfitters and get the 555 joints they sell. We paid something around $150 shipped for all four.

Several people have stated to only use OEM parts. I've heard Moog parts are decent quality. Is this not the case?

Turns out my original u-joints were fine. I might return the Moog ones, but it's also nice to have a few spares on hand.

Nice looking Hundy! Is that race point? Not sure if you visit expedition portal, but there's a couple guys working on a Boston rig meet in June or July (look in regional forums under northeast). Not all LC's but there's at least 4 of us in the area.

I don't know of any offroad in MA. NH has quite a lot. VT has Vermont Overland.

Nice looking Hundy! Is that race point? Not sure if you visit expedition portal, but there's a couple guys working on a Boston rig meet in June or July (look in regional forums under northeast). Not all LC's but there's at least 4 of us in the area.

I don't know of any offroad in MA. NH has quite a lot. VT has Vermont Overland.

Great Point, Nantucket.

I will check out expedition portal.

After seeing this, I may try Volsar next time for the hell of it. I really like Vinnie in Somerville but it never hurts to have a backup.

Side note, I'm all for a Boston area meetup, I'm sure there are a few guys that would be interested. I've been trying to find remote camping sites only accessible with a 4X4 but I haven't come up with much.

After seeing this, I may try Volsar next time for the hell of it. I really like Vinnie in Somerville but it never hurts to have a backup.

Side note, I'm all for a Boston area meetup, I'm sure there are a few guys that would be interested. I've been trying to find remote camping sites only accessible with a 4X4 but I haven't come up with much.

Several people have stated to only use OEM parts. I've heard Moog parts are decent quality. Is this not the case?

Turns out my original u-joints were fine. I might return the Moog ones, but it's also nice to have a few spares on hand.

Moog used to be good but something changed and in almost every case where I’ve researched their parts, people end up having issues within a month.

555 is rumored to manufacture for Toyota, and I do know that the 555 joints I got felt considerably better when just moving them by hand than the Moogs. Stiff, but smooth. The Moogs were notchy and grindy.

Well, that stinks. I will do some research. Thanks for the heads up!

Moog used to be good but something changed and in almost every case where I’ve researched their parts, people end up having issues within a month.

555 is rumored to manufacture for Toyota, and I do know that the 555 joints I got felt considerably better when just moving them by hand than the Moogs. Stiff, but smooth. The Moogs were notchy and grindy.

Now that I have proof there was nothing wrong with other parts of the truck, I should contact that dealership and try to have them remove all of that from the service record.

In the words of Yoda “no try grasshopper*, only do”. Based on past input from you on the service dept, I’d speak only directly with the general manager or “dealer principal” (owner and guy answerable to Toyota). If you get no satisfaction from either of them, I’d take it up with Toyota USA. Having that dealership is a privilege, and they are abusing that privilege by putting things from a service quote in your vehicles dealer service record. They are also diminishing the value of your truck by doing that. It’s a bit of a crusade, but if you have proof of their wrong doing, it is a good fight!

*Yoda may not have actually said “grasshopper”...

Ive had Moog trackbars fail safety inspections brand new and freshly installed. They were decent in years past, but not so much anymore.

For all your steering and suspension components, I’d check with Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters before buying anywhere else. He has all the 555 BJs etc in stock, and cheaper than anywhere else I’ve found. He is also a vendor here, and a stand up guy.

Cruiser Outfitters

Glad it worked out with Volsar, I've been encouraging people to go there for a couple of years now because I trust their work. I think their prices are reasonable but not rock bottom, but they don't balk when I bring them a box of parts and ask them to do something odd (like install the dual battery and isolator and run power to the rear, or use brass heater T's). Gus has an FJ, and I think they legitimately like Cruisers.

Thanks to @4Beast I got the Volsar recommendation from him a year ago. I would agree that their prices are not rock bottom, but they're honest and won't make up additional work to pad the bill.

However, Gus was not a fan of me supplying my own Toyota rack, but said he would do it this once, so jury is still out if they're willing to install the customer's oem parts in which they would normally source themselves and mark up? For example, not sure I could buy the Aisin timing belt kit from Amazon and have Gus willingly install it?

It does sound like they are willing to install aftermarket parts from the customer (not something they would easily source anyhow).

Thanks to @4Beast I got the Volsar recommendation from him a year ago. I would agree that their prices are not rock bottom, but they're honest and won't make up additional work to pad the bill.

However, Gus was not a fan of me supplying my own Toyota rack, but said he would do it this once, so jury is still out if they're willing to install the customer's oem parts in which they would normally source themselves and mark up? For example, not sure I could buy the Aisin timing belt kit from Amazon and have Gus willingly install it?

It does sound like they are willing to install aftermarket parts from the customer (not something they would easily source anyhow).
It's an interesting point about parts that they would normally source or get and possibly markup. I would tend to trust their judgment on things that they probably do routinely and let them get whatever they think was best (as i did for my TB/water pump) but on things that they do less of or are a matter or preference (such as lift parts) I'd probably source them and bring them in. For stuff like my winch or light bar install they wouldn't get that sort of thing anyway but did a good job on the install.

Guys, I lived in te area for 15 years with a 97 lX450. The Wellesley Toyota dealer is really, really good. I know that sounds weird. But Bob Haberstadt is the service guy and really knows his stuff. I had used Landcruiser Parts service guys and Wellesley was so much better. And they doNT Sur-charge me to have non OEM parts installed. I live in Duchess COunty now and miss those guys. I know it sounds weird, but they are really good.

This post sounds familiar. I waited 3 years to buy a neighbor's one owner 1998 LC that was taken to the dealer religiously every 5000 of it's 240,000 mile life. The dealer sold my neighbor a new truck while she was on a service visit. The mechanic scared my neighbor with a $7000 service estimate. I bought the LC for $1000, had it inspected, and changed the radiator T's. That's it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom