Got a full inspection - need trunion(?) work (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was actually really happy, that was the only thing the mechanic found, that and that the front pinion seals need to be replaced which can be done at the same time. I'm assuming by "trunion" he meant the front wheel knuckles. They want $900 for the work so I'm thinking about trying it myself but it looks like quite a job. There was a bit of play in the front right wheel. How critical is it that I get this done? How hard is a knuckle rebuild?

$900.00 Sounds kinda high to me.
Buy the "FSM" if you don't have one already, parts, tools and whatever you may need. It's a dirty messy job but well worth saving some coin an a pretty straight forward repair. And as with all repairs, fix or replace everything you can afford to do while the axel is torn down. You'll thank yourself later. Good Luck to you.

It is a very messy job but not very difficult. Parts All new berings and seals (including wheel berings) should only be about $120 +/-. Be sure you get good quality berings (koyo, timkin). $900 is kinda steep I have heard of shops doing it for about $600. Pinoin seal is a qiuck and easy job as well,

Dynosoar

You wanted to learn how to work on the cruiser? This is your first big job to do. There are plenty of writeups on here and we can help you along. You will learn a lot ... Go for it. You can get a kit that has good bearings and everything you need. It is a good time to replace the front rotors too if they are getting thin.

Goodluck

buy a rebuild kit....and do it yourself one side at a time. follow the fsm its easy but time consuming, if you have any questions just ask them here on mud. no worries.

Well, I read the knuckle/axle shaft section of the FSM and I've got to say it's a bit intimidating. The cutaway diagram is all very nice and logical but the instructions list one SST after another and a wide variety of parts I've never heard of. Are SST's critical to doing the job?

I was reading some threads and someone mentioned a video that shows a knuckle rebuild in action. Anybody know any more about that video?

I'll give it a shot. Lovetoski had a great quote on his knuckle rebuild thread that said the job will make you "one with your cruiser", which would be a worthwhile reward for the work.

Oh, last question, my truck has been pulling to the right and it turns out the right front wheel is the one with some play. Think a knuckle rebuild might address the alignment problem?

Thanks!

I agree with the others and say do it yourself...it's not a hard job to do, but is a bit time consuming the first time. Aside from the SST to remove the retainer nut I don't recall having to use any special tools. You'll need a brass drift to bang out the cone washers and might have a little trouble with the drive shaft retaining washer, but the rest is simple. Oh with the money you save you may want to invest in a seal/race driver set...Harbor Freight has them and they will help you get install your bearing races and seals without mangling them up. I say you can do it in a day if you're organized.

I would recomend replacing the berings since you are in there anyway. I would also recomend replacing the rotors (if they are even qustionable), and the tie rod ends / drag links since you have it alll apart anyway.

No, you do not need the SST's. However, you must be very patient and organized. Do only one side at a time so you have the other for reference. If you are not very mechanicly inclined I also recomend using a digital camara to take picures at each step so you have another point of reference.

The only "special" tools you will need are 1. A brass drift 2. a tie rod end puller ( a pickle fork will work but you will destroy the boots and possibly the ends).

You will need lots and lots and lots and lots of rags (and maybe a few more) additionaly, you will need some solid jack stands and some ICE cold beer never hurt.

You must have a cruiser head by you in CO. I would invite (bribe) them to come over and help (supervise) at least for the first side.

Good Luck

Dynosoar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom