Builds Goose Gear 80 Series Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dont know if this is too late but I didn’t have good experience with Pro Gears doing my regear. They dont carry enough shims and dont have the right torque specs for the 80 diffs. My diffs got loud noise under loads and had to bring my truck to them 3 times to fix it. The noise is still there but not as bad. They blamed it on Nitro gears and had Nitro send the replacement. Now I have 1 extra set of pinion and gear.

Not too late. Thanks for the heads up. I am taking your recommendation. A friend of mine had recommended someone else in Chino Hills. He is one of the main guys at American Adventurist. Called up the guy, gave his name. Saving about $700. Don't want people who don't know what they're doing working on my rig. Thank you.

Check out Zuk from gearinstalls.com. I wish I had sent my 3rd to him but didn’t have time to remove and send him the 3rd.

The differential carrier. The part you unbolt from the axle housing that holds the pinion and differential.

Began the process of removing the fender flares to get them coated with Linex.

IMG_2016.JPG

Next up was the front fender flare. It took a little longer than planned because it wouldn't come off! I then remembered that I had to unbolt the flare from the fender. I have very short memory problems. I had watched the video about an hour before this. Anyway, I got it off.

IMG_2019.JPG

By this time I was tired and decided to stop for the night. I did take the passenger headlight off and peaked in to see how to take that flare off. Does anyone know how to get this off without taking stuff out of the engine bay? I have short arms so I can't reach the bolts from the blinker opening. I am thinking of trying to use my breaker bar to extend my reach. I am worried about the bold falling and not being able to recover it.

I hope you’re going to Linex under the flares too. Once those flares are back on probably be
awhile before they come off again

The 80 is at Chino Hills Transmission to get re-geared. Will pick it up after I return from Northwest Overland Rally in a week and a half. I'm hoping Icon Vehicle Dynamics will have my Stage 3 suspension ready by then. Next up will be to take it to Demello to get the suspension in. I ordered some Method 312s for the build. I will not be able to use the center caps in the front, but I like the look of the rims and can live without the center caps. Will post photos when I get the vehicle back.

Cool to see you've picked one up. Interested in what else you have in store for the storage components.

Currently waiting for Chino Hills Transmission to finish the re-gear. It should be done tomorrow. The method racing wheels are currently sitting at the tire shop ready. I put 35" General Grabbers MT on. This will be a wheeling only vehicle so I am not too worried about the noise they will make. Still waiting on Icon Vehicle Dynamics to get the Stage 3 suspension kit. When I get an ETA on that I will then schedule with Demello Offroad to install the kit and mount the new tires. Hopefully this will all be done in the next three weeks. I've only driven this think from shop to shop since purchased. I Want to get this thing out in the dirt!

The 80 wasn't ready on Friday. Now have to wait until Monday to pick it up. I would rather they take their time getting the re-gear right than rush them to get it done. The wheels and tires are waiting at the tire shop for me to pick them up. Still waiting to hear from Icon about when to expect the suspension. I will be talking to Slee Offroad on Monday about armor and bumpers. I assume they have an 8-12 week lead on bumpers. I am being realistic and will be happy if I get this portion of the project done by January.

Really hoping to get the suspension and tires on in time to take the rig to Rocky Mountain Overland Rally in Colorado at the beginning of August. Still need time to get the Goose Gear installed before the show as well. Window is closing fast to get this done in time. Fingers crossed that it can get completed in time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom