Good dog for young kids... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LOL. My grandfather was a tinkerer/engineer, built interesting gadgets around the house. One was a spring-loaded arm that swept across the bird bath when he pulled a string from inside the house.

So I'm looking to do a Dane/Yorkie mix breed. I have access to a Yorkie female. Should I use the bitch?

Great looking dog! Might want to trim a bit around the eyes...
Looks like he can't see s***.

Sure. I was really saying that post 232 was the ab absurdo argument post and to continue to argue with him was just folly. His post 230 was the one I was discrediting due to it being factually incorrect. But, indeed, black is beautiful.

"When a person argues ab absurdo, he/she is trying to establish the validity of her/his position by pointing out the ridiculousness (absurdity) or foolishness of the opponent's arguments.
Although an argument ab absurdo may "demolish" an opponent's position in debate, it does not necessarily prove the validity of that person's position. The only thing that may be accomplished is that the ab absurdo argument may make the other party seem to be foolish or illogical."

Atticus argued that yellow and brown (aka "Chocolate") labs, are inferior due to their coat color, because those colors are recessive and by deliberately choosing recessive traits, the breeders are [presumably] also choosing other genes that are somehow inferior. That's inaccurate and an example of an argument based on a ignorance of the facts. That's all.

They really are fantastic dogs. My Irish terrier, which has a somewhat superficial resemblance, and some common ancestry, is one of the best dogs I have ever known.

You sure prefer to go around the block to get next door.

Eventually, I would like to get a pooch to hang with the boy.

Not to sound paranoid, but there are quite a few cougars around my house, prowling the trails. I would like him to have an edge when he is eventually out there exploring...

These breeds keep popping up, but none really tickle my fancy...

• Australian Shepherd
  • Beagle
  • Boxer Dogs
  • Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
  • Cocker Spaniel
  • English Bulldog
  • Golden Retriever
  • Labrador
  • Norfolk Terrier (AKC link)
  • Poodle
I would love to get a hound of sorts, black and tan coon, or something, but they are just not family dogs, from what I understand...

Any ideas out there?

FYI, there will be no Pits or Canary Fighters considered, so leave it alone.

How about a Bovier? They are a bigger dog but they are a workign dog and they herd by pushing not biting. And very loyal.

How about a Bovier? They are a bigger dog but they are a workign dog and they herd by pushing not biting. And very loyal.

a lot of fur on those bastards...

1100049.jpg

bouviers are great looking dogs. and pretty tough, too. lotta hair, though..and big poo to clean up. lady walks 3 of them by my office in downtown manhattan. they are impressive dogs. she carries big poo bags. :)

I'm still finding wads of hair from the newf we had for a year several years ago. It was endless.

you know skillet, i've been remiss...just told you about my present dog. but i have had a bunch of other breeds. i'm not nearly the expert tofu is ;), but ill give you my impressions of dogs i've had

**miniature schnauzer.... yappy, snappy, hyper, dog aggressive, fearless, great watchdog, smart, cute. runs away when it gets out. not really the best kid dog
**standard schnauzer... bigger, less extreme version of the mini, but similar. decent kid dog
**yellow lab.... absurdly smart...mine looked both ways when crossing the street, calm, always came home, quiet, decent watchdog. shed...a lot. awesome kid dog
**malamute.... snappy, dog aggressive,food and bone possessive, huge sheder, howled, not the friendliest dog. reminded me of a big,canine cat. a biter...NOT a good kid dog
**foxhound.....never shut the fck up, a real runner when he got out, shedder, sweet...no problem taking his bone from him, he was great with kids
**staffordshire bull terrier... had 2 of them...female was sweet, great dog. male was scary...we sent him away. although the female was sweet, not comfortable with kids around a dog with that kind of crushing bite.(she never bit, though)
**soft coated wheaten terrier......smart, non shedding, very non-terrier like behavior....not aggressive, calm, not yappy, crappy watchdog...only barked when the pizza guy rang the doorbell. great with kids.....couldnt get it to bite if you tried. 45lb lap dog. i cant say enough good things about the breed
**airedale.....not yappy, very smart... barks when he wants to play or go out, slaps his bowl when he's thirsty, non-shedding, not dog aggressive but can be with poor socialization, great with kids(again, with proper socialization)..but can sometimes not realize his size and little ones get knocked down. anyone can take his food or bone from him, great watchdog, very affectionate...65lb lap dog wannabe

a final note...most terriers are not very good off-leash dogs. theyre smart enough to know you cant catch them and they do what they want. i'm currently training the airedale with an e-collar. the wheaten i trained with tennis balls..id hit him in the ass with a tennis ball when he ignored my command off leash. it worked. same basic thing as an e-collar ;)

hope this helps in some way

Last edited:
a lot of fur on those bastards...

1100049.jpg
But they don't really shed. They have hair and fur and the hair holds the fur in. And they can be shaved in the summer.
I wish I could afford to buy one. They have a tendency to be a bit expensive.

Good joke poorly executed. Perhaps it could've been saved, but the spark that initiated it was gone.

Everyone is going to say that whatever their dog is makes the best dog, but let me throw my German Shorthair in the mix.

447688646_7a6df0d505_b.jpg

Dave, I think your nails need a fresh coat.

Kidding aside, my best friend had two GSHPs growing up. Both were great, but a little too energetic. Years later he adopted a German wire-haired pointer. Now THAT was an awesome dog. They're supposed to be the same as GSHPs, but this one was pretty mellow. He was named "Goof". LOVE that damned dog.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom