Good choice for overland build? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking at a 93 land cruiser that I might buy tomorrow if it is a good buildout platform. Also need it though to take friends around town and stuff so it will double up.

It is a 1993 with front and rear lockers, rebuilt front axle, 4 inch suspension lift, upgraded wheels and tires, replaced head gasket radiator phh hose and a number of other things under the hood, the list goes on and on.

My biggest concern is the mileage. It clocks in at 270,000 miles right now. I know cruisers can last longer than that but I'm a bit skeptical. Asking price is 9500 which might make sense with all the upgrades but I'm just wondering, in your guys' opinion will I be able to get another 100,000 or so miles out of a rig like this if I take good care of it?

Last thing I want is for it to crap out on me in a year or something. Like I said it looks good, lot of upgrades, I took it for a test drive and it works fine and the seller seems like he knows what he is doing and has taken good care of it but I'm still cautious about the miles.

thanks

Probably want to post this in the 80s section (with pics) to let those guys weigh in, this forum gets comparatively less action. Depending on the upgrades (and if it's rust free) the price seems to be more or less in line.

I'm looking at a 93 land cruiser that I might buy tomorrow if it is a good buildout platform. Also need it though to take friends around town and stuff so it will double up.

It is a 1993 with front and rear lockers, rebuilt front axle, 4 inch suspension lift, upgraded wheels and tires, replaced head gasket radiator phh hose and a number of other things under the hood, the list goes on and on.

My biggest concern is the mileage. It clocks in at 270,000 miles right now. I know cruisers can last longer than that but I'm a bit skeptical. Asking price is 9500 which might make sense with all the upgrades but I'm just wondering, in your guys' opinion will I be able to get another 100,000 or so miles out of a rig like this if I take good care of it?

Last thing I want is for it to crap out on me in a year or something. Like I said it looks good, lot of upgrades, I took it for a test drive and it works fine and the seller seems like he knows what he is doing and has taken good care of it but I'm still cautious about the miles.

thanks

That's a lot of miles but it depends greatly on the condition of the vehicle and how it runs. Personally I prefer the OBD II equipped 80's as you can get more diagnostic data from them. However any 80 series, even without lockers, is going to be an extremely capable overland vehicle. Depending on what your needs are, expected usage, and finances are, you might consider also the 100 series or a GX470 / 4runner. The 80's however are insanely capable.

For the US, an 80 series is way overkill for 90% of the places you can take a vehicle. I own a fully build 80 that has never been pushed to its limits and it sees a lot of forest roads and trails in the South East. The biggest limitation to an 80 series is that it's a 20+ yr old vehicle. Parts can be hard to come by if you break down somewhere and it suffers from lack of power and fuel range. With an older vehicle you have to do a little more pre-trip preventative maintenance. I just bought a 4runner that I expect to be able to go atleast 75% of the places I would take my 80 plus it drives so much smoother and quieter with better fuel range and more HP.

Its a balance of price vs time vs needs/usage
Many buy and don't really use to the trucks full capability. Ditto for ensuring its up-to-spec regd. service, reliability etc. (whats your mechanical skills and how much time are you willing to spend checking/fixing it to a level you're happy with ; as opposed to paying someone else)
I wouldn't be bothered as much by the mileage but more so by the condition/servicing/upkeep.
The 80s forum will give you the best info but you'll need to read the forums as lots of good info

My truck is 300K (97 with 2nd engine) and did 30K of the PanAm with no issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom