Good buy or too good to be true 2001 lc (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have been searching for a landcruiser or LX for a while now, and I spotted on at a local car dealership in my town. I am a bit weary of buying from a used car dealership, so I thought I’d ask here for opinions. The timing belt has been replaced, but there is no date or mileage on the sticker so I don’t know when. Took it for a drive and it drove great I’m just a bit worried about having to fix m problems on the truck that I am not seeing right away. Any help would be great link below.

Wow it looks really clean but It would be nice to know if there is any more maintenance history . If you have the VIN you can try to look it up on Toyota Owners website.

All and all these rigs are strong with a handful of known issues. Look underneath for rust and leaks and report back to us here.

If all checks out you can probably get it for under $10k

Doesnt look too bad. That big dent on the rear quarter panel might be able to be removed via paintless dent removal for about $200 or so.

So the dealer told you it was replaced. Do they have paperwork on it to verify?

Try to ask for the vin and post it up here. There are ways of seeing if it was done at the Toyota dealership.

Wow it looks really clean but It would be nice to know if there is any more maintenance history . If you have the VIN you can try to look it up on Toyota Owners website.

All and all these rigs are strong with a handful of known issues. Look underneath for rust and leaks and report back to us here.

If all checks out you can probably get it for under $10k
Thanks for the reply here’s a pic of the vin

4C3B213F-1CB9-47D5-99BB-ECDBDDED10C2.jpeg

Doesnt look too bad. That big dent on the rear quarter panel might be able to be removed via paintless dent removal for about $200 or so.

So the dealer told you it was replaced. Do they have paperwork on it to verify?

Try to ask for the vin and post it up here. There are ways of seeing if it was done at the Toyota dealership.
That’s what’s odd there was a replacement sticker where he said it would be with no date, and it didn’t come up in the car fax, he addressed the timing belt issue and said if I bought it it would be a must do. We talked about possibly dropping the price do fix that issue right away.
The rust didn’t look too bad, and as far as I understand it spent the last 8 years on the central coast and the first few years in Colorado.

BE8E4F01-7F88-4380-BF94-DF530C14EEA1.jpeg

D10C567D-7BED-4F88-BE31-78D89669D98D.jpeg

Dang I just ran the VIN through the Toyota site and no records.

Undercarriage tells me this is parked outside and obviously near the ocean.

If you go back to check it out again, open up the hatch and tailgate and carefully peel back the weatherstrips for rust. Check the rear wheel wells just behind the doors for rust (mud/ ocean salt like to collect there). lastly check around the windshield for signs of rust, especially the roof line where the windshield meets.

My honest opinion would be to put this one in the maybe pile. The mileage is good and interior appear to be good., but the dents, lack of service records and salt is a concern.

Dang I just ran the VIN through the Toyota site and no records.

Undercarriage tells me this is parked outside and obviously near the ocean.

If you go back to check it out again, open up the hatch and tailgate and carefully peel back the weatherstrips for rust. Check the rear wheel wells just behind the doors for rust (mud/ ocean salt like to collect there). lastly check around the windshield for signs of rust, especially the roof line where the windshield meets.

My honest opinion would be to put this one in the maybe pile. The mileage is good and interior appear to be good., but the dents, lack of service records and salt is a concern.
Thanks for the response, will do if I decide to go check it out again. I was a bit excited and needed some reason before a purchase like this. Appreciate you checking that out for me.

Theres one up in Oregon thats for sale on here. Seems to be in your price range and same mileage but with timing belt done 30k ago, nice mods...etc... Not saying buy this one, but sometimes its good to buy one from the owner on here since the auction flippers tend to have no history.

Last edited:
Owning a twenty year old truck will involve repairing things that break. There's no getting around that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom