Going up to Mammoth, need advise on snow chain! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not for wheeling simply getting to my destination as in Mammoth or Tahoe.
For Mammoth and Tahoe they will only really require 4wd vehicles to carry chains as long as the tires meet the R-1/R-2 requirements. You would only need to install chains in a R-3 condition, but they typically close the road before that level.

For Mammoth and Tahoe they will only really require 4wd vehicles to carry chains as long as the tires meet the R-1/R-2 requirements. You would only need to install chains in a R-3 condition, but they typically close the road before that level.
Got it, so then a set of cables just to comply with CHP in case they check. Will be picking up ATs with 3 peak symbol as well

We travel to Mammoth pretty regularly in our 2000 LC. Only once have been in R3 conditions and installed chains for the trip down the hill. We are up at Mammoth now and might be looking at the second time we need them with the look of the oncoming storm.... Chains go on the rear for us. We are running the stock size Michelin LTX or whatever they call them now. They do fine in regular snow but are worthless on ice as is any tire. Go slow...

What tire did you have for that chain model? I’m running LT285/60/18KO2’s and haven’t found chains or cables that fit properly. I think you have same tire but found this thread in a search, TIA.
I'm running KO2's on an otherwise bone stock LX470 and I use these cable chains in the mountains:

Amazon product ASIN B000HZBRSC
I run them on all 4 tires when needed and don't have any issues with spacing or fitment. It is a little easier to install/remove them if you raise the suspension to high.

davidrh,

first, say hi to jerry for me. He's my perpetual copilot🎸

Soooo, what I read is you are running those cables (Amazon product ASIN B000HZBRSC) on the front (besides the back) w/o issues. Is this with your lexus in elevated mode? Is there a problem running these in the low setting or at full turn?

Reason: this is the first thread I have seen that specifically mentions a set up on the front axle w/o interference with the suspension.

BTW: take few (no a lot) of turns for moi!🎿

davidrh,

Soooo, what I read is you are running those cables (Amazon product ASIN B000HZBRSC) on the front (besides the back) w/o issues. Is this with your lexus in elevated mode? Is there a problem running these in the low setting or at full turn?

Reason: this is the first thread I have seen that specifically mentions a set up on the front axle w/o interference with the suspension.

I'm no expert on AHC but it shouldn't matter what setting your in, the upper control arm still remains very close to the tire.

It's not rocket science really, if you can find a change that will clear that gap you'll be OK . Go out to your truck and take a look at how close the tire is to the control arm. Chances are those skinny little cable chains will fit but why? I can't imagine anytime you need to chain up all 4 tires when travelling to the ski resort , you'll prob pass a few Honda civics that will get there with front wheel drive.

I'm no expert on AHC but it shouldn't matter what setting your in, the upper control arm still remains very close to the tire.

It's not rocket science really, if you can find a change that will clear that gap you'll be OK . Go out to your truck and take a look at how close the tire is to the control arm. Chances are those skinny little cable chains will fit but why? I can't imagine anytime you need to chain up all 4 tires when travelling to the ski resort , you'll prob pass a few Honda civics that will get there with front wheel drive.
I think @davidrh situation is really unique, even by Colorado standards. Living in Alma at over 10k it makes sense. They drive very long distances on generally dry roads that the sun burns snow off of, but then are only accessible in and out via passes. Hoosier is extremely sketchy in snow and I'd want as much traction for turning as I could get.

I'd prefer dedicated studded snow tires if living in the mountains, but also at the same time might drive me totally nuts to be on studded snows for 90% or more of my winter driving if I was on dry roads going 75. Montana definitely sees snow stick for a lot longer than we do with your cold/overcast months, you guys really need the studs particularly in your part of the state.

I think @davidrh situation is really unique, even by Colorado standards. Living in Alma at over 10k it makes sense. They drive very long distances on generally dry roads that the sun burns snow off of, but then are only accessible in and out via passes. Hoosier is extremely sketchy in snow and I'd want as much traction for turning as I could get.

I'd prefer dedicated studded snow tires if living in the mountains, but also at the same time might drive me totally nuts to be on studded snows for 90% or more of my winter driving if I was on dry roads going 75. Montana definitely sees snow stick for a lot longer than we do with your cold/overcast months, you guys really need the studs particularly in your part of the state.
Understood , true that every area is different maybe chains are more practical in your hood. Studded snows for the win here.

Back to the original topic at hand , fitting chains on the front tires . Verdict on my end is most chain style chains will be too large but cable style may be narrow enough to sneak by. As far as different height settings being a factor , I don't think it will affect the spacing there but I don't have much experience with LX

Related but not directly to chains - Bay Area (SF proper) 100 owner. I drive to Tahoe every weekend since I teach snowboarding. Yes its 150 miles of dry pavement then the last 30 can be snow covered and icy. If you frequent the sierras enough, a spare set of blizzaks or your choice of dedicated snow tires is your best bet in my opinion.

The only downside to this is you will no longer be able to do donuts in the snow / ice. Dedicated snow tires means you aren't getting dirty with chains, and only cost a few tanks of gas more than a set of chains with zero issues on fitment etc.

Back to the original topic at hand , fitting chains on the front tires . Verdict on my end is most chain style chains will be too large but cable style may be narrow enough to sneak by. As far as different height settings being a factor , I don't think it will affect the spacing there but I don't have much experience with LX

owners manual says chains on rear tires ;)

Got it, so then a set of cables just to comply with CHP in case they check. Will be picking up ATs with 3 peak symbol as well
Exactly what I do. A couple of years ago CHP outside of Bishop sent me back because I wasn't carrying chains for my Audi RS4 that had snows on. (Tahoe area CHP never pulled this crap) So I went to Bishop and bought the cheapest, smallest bag of chains I could find. Now I have the LX470 on 3 peak Nokian Outpost ATs and carry the same chains. They never would've fit the Audi, and they'll never fit the Lexi. Just red tape BS.

I just put a set of studded Duratracs on my 80 and I'm a believer. I don't really drive the 80 into town much during the summer so I may just leave them on all year round.

Between the studs and new Bilsteins at all 4 corners, it's gone from a white knuckle ride on mountain roads to a billy goat.

davidrh,

Sorry for the delay. Sometimes I wander off into the snow...

That's correct - with those Z chains I can run them on all 4 corners on N or Hi with no interference or binding. I haven't tried them in Lo except for putting it in the garage. Only times I've chained up this season was pulling a tourist in a Grand Cherokee out of the ditch and going into town on NYE. It was dumping snow and visibility was basically to the front of the truck.

Since commenting on this thread I got a set of studded Duratracs for my 80, so now I tend to take that whenever conditions get bad. Someone else mentioned in the thread - you stay a lot cleaner running studs vs installing chains.

The 80 doesn't like doing highway speeds at altitude though, so I like to keep the 100 ready for that job when I need it. I've resisted getting studded tires for that one so far but if I can find another set of rims for it on the cheap I'll probably give in and buy a set of studded Duratracs for that one too.

I just put a set of studded Duratracs on my 80 and I'm a believer. I don't really drive the 80 into town much during the summer so I may just leave them on all year round.

Between the studs and new Bilsteins at all 4 corners, it's gone from a white knuckle ride on mountain roads to a billy goat.

Nokians are studded from the factory. Lots of development goes into the stud design. When you go with studs installed at the shop, you're letting someone decide where to put generic studs.

From everything I’ve read, winter tires offer the best bang, with studs offering a smaller bang

I drive icy roads alot and snowy roads a portion of the year in western Montana. Huge Nokian fan.

Last edited:
Nokians are studded from the factory. Lots of development goes into the stud design. When you go with studs installed at the shop, you're letting someone decide where to put generic studs.

From everything I’ve read, winter tires offer the best bang, with studs offering a smaller bang

I drive icy roads alot and snowy roads a portion of the year in western Montana. Huge Nokian fan.
Duratracs are Mountain & Snow rated and are pre-perforated for studs. So while yes they're installed at the shop, it's not left down to random placement.

I don't doubt that true winter tires are good, but the tread on the Duratracs holds up well and they're very quiet on the road. This is my third set and they're the best tires I've found for my use.

Most days going down around the hairpin switchbacks I'll goose it a little to try to get it to break loose. On the rare occasion it does, I can feel the tires get their grip back in short order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom