Going up to Mammoth, need advise on snow chain! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I am going up to Mammoth the day before Thanksgiving.
I have BFG ALL TERRAIN T/A KO 285/65/18. Do you think I would need to bring snow chain? What would be a good snow chain for the size of tires I have.
Thank's for the advise!

It is always best to have them with you. The CHP may shut down the road except for chains.

I have had good luck with the cable chains. Security Chain Co.

http://www.scc-chain.com/Traction Pages/Trac_home.html

I would look at the Super Z8 model # SZ 468.

Test them for clearance BEFORE you leave to avoid unpleasant fender damage:doh:

Get them now. When it snows, they will run out.

Just to add to what Calimari said, California law requires you carry chains. I have never had them check for them in a 4wd, but you could technically be cited for not having them. Also, note that the BFG A/t qualifies as a severe snow rated tire.

Wow, I didn't know that BFG ALL TERRAIN is rated for a severe snow tire.
That's good stuff. However, I will get the chain tomorrow for sure.

New, but my $0.02

My first experiences snow driving was in a 2wd Nissan Frontier CrewCab - rear drive.

I used Peerless SnoTrac LT traction cables for 4yrs in regular snowfall of up to 1ft.

When I acquired the LX, I bought the same cables, though for the larger tires obviously. Part# for OEM LX tires (and I would imagine LC) #-0167555.

I have NOT used these yet, I only offer this information because of the excellent service they gave me in the former application.

Also, this was SoCal snow - which from other users pix I've seen on here so far - would seem to be wussy snow :D

I'm planning a trip up to Tahoe early next year - hopefully with as much snow as possible (lived in SoCal all my life and family was never snow oriented - but I'm interested, and now have the LX, I wanna use it darnit!:) )

In any case, have fun, drive safe, and if you encounter anything heavy, I'm sure we'd all like to see pix if you're able...

-Kali

I have been Mammtoh last year. But, I didn't leave late in a day.
This time, I will be leaving a little late afternoon. So, I am anticipating any snow storm. I hope not.
I am going to Mammoth every year for snowboarding, also planning to go to Lake Tahoe on December. Love snow!!!

Another source for tire chains:

http://www.tirechain.com/

I've never used the "cable" style of chain, only the links. No matter what style you go with, trial fit them before you leave not only to insure they fit but also to insure you are familiar with how to get them on and off easily before you're trying to do it in the cold and a foot + of snow :)

And don't forget tensioners and plenty of them! Buy extras because they do come off occassionally and they do get lost.

Last edited:
Some good chain tech in this ...

old MUD Tire Thread

And pack a good pair of leather gloves with the chains to protect your hands during the install. LED headlamp would be good too as it will often be night on the side (or slightly off the side) of a poorly lit road when you finally decide to put them on.

Like changing a tire it is a good idea to practice installation before they are really needed.

Last edited:
My bro-in-law in Hokkaido, N. Japan (near Vladivostock), says chains suck for handling...no lateral traction for curves/turning. No one there runs chains or AT tires. They all use dedicated snow tires like the bridgestone blizzaks or studded snow tires, preferably w/ 4wd (ever seen a 4wd corolla?). You can corner at seemingly unbelievable speeds w/ good snow tires like bridgestone blizzaks.

just keep the chains with you. I've been to mammoth many many many times over the last few years. I've never had to use chains yet. Actually, that's not exactly true. I got centered on some off beat path trying to go to the hot springs. And if you're anticipating a snow storm, pray that it hits, so that you can ride fresh powder all day long! In Tahoe, last year, I probably could have used chains one day, as I managed to drive off the road once. hehe. That was during a snow storm too though.

I have to agree with wantacruiser. Been going to mammoth for many years now and I carry chains with me, but have not had to use them yet. Before in my FJ62, with BFG All terrains never needed them, and now in the 100 (which handles way better in the snow) running on REVOS. I do prefer the cable type chains.

Have fun! and pray for snow. Its too hot for them to even blow snow right now.

I wanna carry chains just in case it's snow. If it's snowing real hard, I may need them.
Sometime, when it has snow storm, the cops wouldn't allow you to go up.

I do remember reading some stuff about this and seeing signs that IIRC suggested that chains were not necessary with 4WD, it was like one or the other. But don't know for sure to what this applies...

This is I got from Caltrans:

Types of Chain Controls:
During the winter months, motorists may encounter traction chain controls in the mountain areas within California. When chain controls are established, signs will be posted along the road indicating the type of requirement. There are three requirements in California.

Requirement One (R1): Chains, traction devices or snow tires are required on the drive axle of all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles.

Requirement Two (R2): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.
(NOTE: Four wheel/all wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)

Requirement Three (R3): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions

This is I got from Caltrans:

Types of Chain Controls:
During the winter months, motorists may encounter traction chain controls in the mountain areas within California. When chain controls are established, signs will be posted along the road indicating the type of requirement. There are three requirements in California.

Requirement One (R1): Chains, traction devices or snow tires are required on the drive axle of all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles.

Requirement Two (R2): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.
(NOTE: Four wheel/all wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)

Requirement Three (R3): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions

good to know! well all signs I've seen near Mammoth must have been R1 then...

That may be the minimum legal requirement but my experience has always been that in the snow/ice the problem is not getting traction to move forward. The problem is getting traction to slow down. Chains will help with both. Four-wheel drive doesn't help you slow down to stay in control.

Of course Caltrans may not care if you slide off the road and down the mountain. You will not be blocking their road! If you were spinning wheels holding up traffic then they have a problem.

one winter i saw a porsche cayenne turbo slide down the road and plow into the back of a car waiting at a light. Guy didnt have all season/snow tires he had summer tires on it. Guess he didnt have a problem getting going but he sure as hell had a "Hard" time stopping. I felt so bad for the guy to have totalled his porsche but then again i laughed because he had summer tires on. He wasnt a happy camper that day.

I just got a pair of tire chain. Do I need chain for all 4 tires or a pair is good enough.

I did a lot of black diamond skiing in a past life. I only had 1 set for my full-time 4x4. I never had to use them in Mammoth... used them once going from Reno to Tahoe in a blizzard -- couldn't see 10 feet in front of my car for the entire trip. And once or twice going to Big Bear. That was over a 20 year span.

FYI -- it takes a little finesse and light pedal to navigate through the snow without chains.. its the black ice and other non-experienced drivers you need to worry about.

my experience is the CHP usually doesn't start checking until around 6:00am or so -- until then the roads are usually clear of hazardous oncoming traffic. I'd always travel up the mountain around 4:30am to miss the excitement of installing chains with the sightseers.

along with the gloves take a pair of coveralls or a long-sleeve smock to throw on. If you need to mount those chains you'll be glad you covered up... its usually sopping wet and you're half-frozen when done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom