Going turbo this summer.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did they get the Piston? How's it going so far?

I do miss my 97 fj80 with a safari turbo; I installed a boost controller & ran between 5 psi & 16 psi. I did get a engine knock under full boost for long periods of time. My mileage was 16-18 mpg running 35 with stock gears. I don't remember the truck ever down shifting in cruise control. It was fast but the tranny slips under boost at slow speeds. My g-wagon g-55 is a little faster but the tranny puts the power down. Have fun with it & build me one too! rg

Yeah.. stay away from Twin scrolling...its pretty much useless in most cases and just gives better sound. Creates turbulence in the turbo, have to run two wastegates, which *should* dump into the downpipe, now you have turbulence in the downpipe too.. plus making the exhaust manifold would suck

If I were you, i would go on Supra Forums and ask around.. the GT40-88 is a very good turbo but is pretty outdated.. you could go with a Dual ball bearing water-cooled turbo.. spool up quicker, more reliable.. and arent priced much more than the 40-88. Dont get me wrong, gt40-88 is one of the best out there. but..

And id recommend looking into a TH400 from a company like Boost Logic.. theyve made tranny conversions for supras for years and have everything you need to swap (at least for a supra, dont know how much more different it would be for the cruiser) and would be easier to set up a stall converter than trying to find one for the stock tranny, which will strain to hold up, even if built.

Sick build though dude! Definitely different but very awesome.

Good luck.

Unless you are going to seriously race this truck I don't see the point in installing an aftermarket high dollar fuel management system, billet rods, etc. Is there even a class to race this thing in?

What is your intention with the truck? I have a GT35R turbo on my stock 1FZ (replaced with the better HG) and I would have a heart attack if I dropped another $20K into it. You will never get it out of it when you sell the beast. My turbo setup was around $3500 in parts alone and then probably another $2-3K in labor. It makes 8psi on stock tune/computer and pulls nicely.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/208578-turbo-project-started.html
A stock '01 5.3 Chevy truck 2wd walked my truck.... so it goes to show trying to make a 6500lb truck fast is a waste of money. IMO

I'm interested to see how the truck turns out.... but there are many better choices and certainly cheaper if you want to go fast.

I have had a GT35R turbo. Had it on a 2.0 four banger running 30-35psi boost.

Likely going with a custom turbo with HTA technology.
The rods, pistons, and e-manage are not that bad and the combination allows for a consideral amount more power to be made. A fresh engine and trans rebuild is also good for thousands and thousands more miles. This is all going to be a longterm gradual project..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom