Give it gas and it wants to quit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Fellas.

I know I've seen this same issue on the board but I couldn't find it, so I'll have to post my own.

Today at lunch I went out and cranked up my 60, it's cold so no worries, idle was fine driving. I was at a stop light, idle was about 900 RPM and I went to go and it cut off, I assume it was me, slipped off the clutch or whatever. She started right up but after that everytime I give it some gas it wants to stay out, RPM's hit the floor. I have to floor the gas pedal to force fuel and get those RPM's up, then adjust the clutch to get moving. But when I stop it idles great, right at 900 again. But everytime I need to get going it's the same thing, she starts to die, so I have to floor it and gently let up on the clutch. Then I lurch, lurch, lurch my way to cruising speed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

When was the last time you replaced the fuel filter?

I replaced it this summer, I thought of that too but it was just all of the sudden. This summer, when I replaced the fuel filter I had a Weber on there and since then I've put the stock carb and emissions on. Could the carb have been that dirty that it plugged up the new fuel filter? This is a stock 2F in an '83 60.

No that wouldn't be it. The Carb gets fuel after it travels through the fuel filter so a dirty carb wouldn't affect the fuel filter. However, a dirty carb may cause it to run like crap. Sounds like it is starving for fuel though. What kind of condition is the carb in that you recently put on?

I got the carb and all the emissions stuff off of another '83 FJ60 that was a plow truck. So it didn't see too much action but it didn't run so bad on his truck. I just had mine at Toyota and picked it up last night. They made sure all the emissions stuff was right, performed a valve job and a little carb tweak. Blessed it and I drove home last night with out a problem. And it hadn't driven that nice since installing the OEM carb. I have an appointment for a carb. rebuild on Tuesday but I'd love to say myself the $365 if it truly is something I can fix this weekend.

Maybe a bad accelerator pump. This is something that would be fixed in the rebuild but is really quite easy to do yourself. Take the filter housing off the carb so you can see down into it. There is a lever on the carb, near the valve cover, that operates the accelerator pump. If you move the lever a couple times, you should see some gas squirt into the primary barrel. If no gas squirts, that might be your problem. Replacement pump parts come with the $30 carb rebuild kit.

You may want to double check the fuel pump. I had a very similar issue on my 40. The pump would provide enough fuel to idle, but not drive.

Here's a long shot. I had an issue similar to this on a Corolla about 20 years ago. Idles fine but under load it dies. With me it happened on a humid (foggy) day only. It ended up being carbon trails in the distributor cap. It costs nothing to wipe out the distributor cap with a clean dry rag and see if it works!

Gumby,
My Corolla rev'ed well too until I loaded it, then it would quit. I had to wait till the engine was warm enough or the weather was dry enough, I don't know which it was, but eventually I was able to drive it normally again. I was on a trip to Death Valley so as it was so dry I did not have any more problems on that trip and I fixed it when I got back.

I think that 78crzr hit it on the head, fuel filter. If that does't solve it, then fuel pump.

it idles and runs full throttle put no transition btween the two? sound like the accelerator pump

Depends on how he can get it to rev. A bad accel pump will make the engine puke or backfire through the carb if you floor it at idle too.

It's an easy check anyway. Look down at the venturi and pump the gas. If it squirts-it works. DON'T do this while the engine is running. If it's bad and lean backfires, you will have no eyebrows and a hairline like mine.

[quote author=Gumby link=board=1;threadid=8728;start=msg75349#msg75349 date=1071327347]
.... If it's bad and lean backfires, you will have no eyebrows and a hairline like mine.
[/quote]

[glow=red,2,300]THIS POST IS NO GOOD WITHOUT PICTURES![/glow]

:flipoff2:

Thanks everyone for your input. Here is the long and short of it. It will idle fine, right at 900, no hesitations. But as soon as I hit the accelerator pedal the RPM's nose dive and it wants to quit. So I floor it, RPM's hit the roof and I can slowly get going again. But it really doesn't want to, I've got to give it gas and slowly let out the clutch. Does that help?

Thanks again everyone.

When I put the clutch in and give it gas, it tries to die right way, then sputters, then revs up and I slowly let the clutch out, adjusting, and away we go.

Thanks for all the help guys, the carb got rebuilt yesterday. I picked it up last night and it's been doing great. Thanks again for your help, now maybe I can pass the emissions test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom