Builds Giovanni’s 2016 460 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The LSAILT CarPlay unit is working very well. Worth the money IMHO. The screen resolution in the GX is definitely a few generations behind, but the wired and wireless CarPlay seem to work fine without any major screen lags.

Got a link to the exact unit you got? I’m curious to see if it will work with my 2010 GX.

This is where I got it:

It says 2014+ but I don't have any intel on 2013 and earlier.

Their stuff is so poorly documented on sites like AliExpress and such that I would never have purchased it without someone with confidence helping. I saw the "group buy" BaseCamper was doing and decided "screw it, I'll take the chance".

Last edited:
This is where I got it:

It says 2014+ but I don't have any intel on 2013 and earlier.

Their stuff is so poorly documented on sites like AliExpress and such that I would never have purchased it without someone with confidence helping. I saw the "group buy" BaseCamper was doing and decided "screw it, I'll take the chance".

Gotcha.

Had a question about how I ran all the wires through the firewall, so here are a few pics to show it.

And remember ... if you're adding power to things, remember to ground everything REALLY well.

IMG_1262.jpeg

IMG_1263.jpeg

IMG_1264.jpeg

With all due respect, not sure what we're looking at, do you think you could add a couple of circles (just using the simple Paint program if you're in Windows) and arrows of what we're looking at, where the firewall is and port of entry for your wires?

Sorry ... was in a hurry earlier. Hard to take good photos in poor light after everything is done.

Hopefully this all makes sense.

1. The SP9100 is mounted to the fender wall to the lookers right of the battery. Hard to see under the wires. It fit perfectly.

2. There is a large rubber grommet on the firewall (shown circled in the picture - you can barely see it). I cut a slit in that grommet and shoved all my wires through it. It is sort of a multi layer grommet - I'm not concerned about dust / moisture ingress at all.

3. The zoomed out photo showing the ARB compressor has an arrow pointing to the general location of that grommet. The zoomed in photo is the best I could do to show the grommet.

IMG_1263 (1).jpeg

IMG_1264 (1).jpeg

IMG_1265 (1).jpeg

IMG_1266 (1).jpeg

Ahhh, much better! Thanks! And nice job!

This weekend we went to Davy Crockett Nat'l Forrest - was great to get the rig out. Beautiful area, lots of FS dirt roads - wouldn't really call it off-roading but riding the trails with the family was fun.

IMG_1314.jpeg

IMG_1315.jpeg

IMG_1316.jpeg

IMG_1319.jpeg

IMG_1325.jpeg

Sorry ... was in a hurry earlier. Hard to take good photos in poor light after everything is done.

Hopefully this all makes sense.

1. The SP9100 is mounted to the fender wall to the lookers right of the battery. Hard to see under the wires. It fit perfectly.

2. There is a large rubber grommet on the firewall (shown circled in the picture - you can barely see it). I cut a slit in that grommet and shoved all my wires through it. It is sort of a multi layer grommet - I'm not concerned about dust / moisture ingress at all.

3. The zoomed out photo showing the ARB compressor has an arrow pointing to the general location of that grommet. The zoomed in photo is the best I could do to show the grommet.

View attachment 2436965

View attachment 2436966

View attachment 2436967

View attachment 2436968

That is where I ran mine as well. What gauge wire did you run to the compressor? In the pic it looks small.

I can't remember what gauge wire it is - I used the leads that were supplied with the compressors. I did double check the wiring size for the amp load and length of run and the OEM supplied leads were in the range so I just used them.

The two red leads are to the twin ARB compressors which is only about a 2' run, and the little air bag compressor that I mounted in the rear is a light duty / low power compressor that doesn't run very often so I was comfortable using their leads as well.

DC_wire_selection_chartlg.jpg

Handy little chart! I looked up wire gauges myself when I ran wire from the second battery to the 3000 watt inverter in the rear of my rig. I ended up using 1/0 AWG, about the size of your pinky finger thick.

Yea, the Amps are pretty high when you need high power at only 12V. When you need that to run over a long(ish) distance, the wire size grows quickly. I usually err on the side of the larger wire if it is on the edge - less heat and risk of insulation melting and creating a short circuit situation.

The most amp-challenged run I had was the dedicated 30A circuit to charge my camper batteries - I ran 4AWG for that.

Some small project tinkering this weekend.

1. Changed the plugs - was anticipating it to be a PITA but really wasn't bad. Hardest part was getting the COP connectors off! A wobble extension is a huge help ... and to get the plugs to come out of that deep well I just used a piece of 3M double sided tape on the inside of the socket. All good, not even any banged up knuckles.

2. A good wash and clean from the trip to Davy Crockett last weekend - that south TX mud dries like concrete. I have been using The Last Coat ceramic products for about 6 months now and I really like how it works and how easy it is to apply.

We took a fantastic trip to the Ozarks to see some fall color. Found a great secluded campsite along a FS road.

The GX did awesome pulling the camper through a fairly rugged trail.

For anyone wondering how the center speaker Garmin mount did - we traveled some very washboard / rough dirt roads and the mount is solid.

IMG_1412.jpeg
IMG_1396.jpeg
IMG_1363.jpeg
IMG_1411.jpeg

WOW! What a great location! I just told my wife that within a week or so I want to do an over-nighter (maybe 2 nights) in our local mountains, just pull off a remote trail and call it done.
Campgrounds are fine and all, but I still get tired of sooo many people in such close proximity. It's nice when you have to have flush toilets, hot showers and hookups, but quite often there's not enough space and trees, shrubs, etc between the camp sites to make them private, listening to someones generator droning, dog's barking, music blasting, drunk and loud people, headlights in the middle of the night from people pulling in late to camp, and feel like one is really away from civilization.
And since I can be completely self contained (even a privy tent and port-a-potty), being remote is not an issue.

Last edited:
Yea, I try to stay away from campgrounds as much as possible. I've got everything we need - shower, potty, chainsaw for wood - and I don't want to go "camping" and be closer to people than I'd be just staying home.

This Expedition One rear bumper is shown on the "Guide" page here ... but I've not seen anyone install or review it. Anyone have experience with this bumper?

Looking at the photo, how does that swing-out lock in place? I don't see any over-center toggles (Destaco clamps) to lock it down when closed. Does it lock at the hinge? If so, I wouldn't trust that to long. The locking pin at the hinge on my MetalTech rear swing-out that holds the arm in the open position, I sheared that off once, and that wasn't even through any abuse.
I'd also be worried if it were attached to the rear door when closed. I don't think there are any very strong structural points in the rear door.

But, it is a clean design!

This feature is particularly attractive:

• Optional Expedition One signature Smooth Motion Tire Carrier System allows carrier to swing in unison with the door

Reactions: r2m

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom