Builds Giovanni’s 2016 460 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have one of those privy tents, but the one in the picture is a hard mount to the camper with fold out arms. I like this design better because there is no bottom so it dries out quickly.

I enjoy sharing with this group - there are so many good ideas to draw from. My build drew from lots here.

Took the GX and camper to Broken Bow.

I removed the 3rd row seats, and for now just have the bare vehicle floor surface covered with the Weathertech cargo mat. I’ve ordered the Goose Gear base plate but don’t have it yet.

There are 2 30A circuits - one for each of the 3rd row seat motors - they’re always hot. I used those circuits in parallel to feed an Anderson SB50 connector. They are only 12 or 14 AWG, but with them in parallel, each wire only has to carry a max of 15A to feed my 30A DCDC charger, so well within the current carrying capacity.

My “battery box” has:

- DCDC dual input charger (input for solar / MPPT, and an input for alternator)
- 100Ah lithium battery - space provisioned for a 2nd one, which should be here today and I’ll install it
- both batteries fused and connected to a distribution buss bar
- two SB50 connector “outputs” connected to the buss bar
- a fused distribution block for connecting small loads (USB, 12V, hella, etc), which I will add and make accessible from the box
- all wiring is either 4 or 6 AWG

I plug the SB50 connector from the seat motor power into the “Alternator” input to the 30A DCDC charger, and the vehicle charges the battery at about 26 amps when engine is running. The DCDC charger is smart enough to disconnect when the car is shut off and voltage drops to the 12V range so it won’t drain my start battery.

When my camper batteries need to be recharged, I connect one of the SB50 outputs to my trailer charge controller, and it charges my trailer batteries at about 28 amps.

Very happy with the setup - 400Ah of lithium battery capacity, and 500 watts of solar if sun conditions are right.

Broken Bow is a beautiful area - explored a few FS roads with the family and will definitely be going back a few times.

View attachment 2539166

View attachment 2539167

View attachment 2539168

View attachment 2539169

View attachment 2539170
Holy crap what a great and complete set up, and a memorable family trip! You are doing life right!

Took the GX and camper to Broken Bow.

I removed the 3rd row seats, and for now just have the bare vehicle floor surface covered with the Weathertech cargo mat. I’ve ordered the Goose Gear base plate but don’t have it yet.

There are 2 30A circuits - one for each of the 3rd row seat motors - they’re always hot. I used those circuits in parallel to feed an Anderson SB50 connector. They are only 12 or 14 AWG, but with them in parallel, each wire only has to carry a max of 15A to feed my 30A DCDC charger, so well within the current carrying capacity.

My “battery box” has:

- DCDC dual input charger (input for solar / MPPT, and an input for alternator)
- 100Ah lithium battery - space provisioned for a 2nd one, which should be here today and I’ll install it
- both batteries fused and connected to a distribution buss bar
- two SB50 connector “outputs” connected to the buss bar
- a fused distribution block for connecting small loads (USB, 12V, hella, etc), which I will add and make accessible from the box
- all wiring is either 4 or 6 AWG

I plug the SB50 connector from the seat motor power into the “Alternator” input to the 30A DCDC charger, and the vehicle charges the battery at about 26 amps when engine is running. The DCDC charger is smart enough to disconnect when the car is shut off and voltage drops to the 12V range so it won’t drain my start battery.

When my camper batteries need to be recharged, I connect one of the SB50 outputs to my trailer charge controller, and it charges my trailer batteries at about 28 amps.

Very happy with the setup - 400Ah of lithium battery capacity, and 500 watts of solar if sun conditions are right.

Broken Bow is a beautiful area - explored a few FS roads with the family and will definitely be going back a few times.

View attachment 2539166

View attachment 2539167

View attachment 2539168

View attachment 2539169

View attachment 2539170

We love Broken Bow, what a fantastic calm place to get away here locally.

For anyone looking for rear storage options, here's something to consider. I have already ordered the Goose Gear base plate, but then came across this - which I think is a better option. And they're doing a group buy discount.

I ordered the twin drawer with battery - the 2nd one shown. I switched the battery / short drawer to the passenger side, and added a 10" x 10" top access hatch for each drawer.

I asked for the inside dimensions of the drawers: 37" x 16.5" x 8" tall and deck sits at 10 1/4" height.

Attachments

• Big Country Savute Drawer Options_1.pdf
    782.3 KB · Views: 119
New shoes today! Toyo Open Country AT III in 285/70/17, C load range. I got 7 of them so my trailer has the same wheels/tires, which gives me infinite spare tire flexibility.

First impression of the Toyo vs Falken - Falken is slightly quieter, but I think the Toyo has the benefit of larger voids and should be a higher traction tire off-road.

IMG_1831.jpeg

IMG_1832.jpeg

IMG_1833.jpeg

I posted in the classified section, but thought I'd put it here too. My prior wheel / tire set is for sale.

I also have 3 285/75r16 Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx mounted on black aluminum wheels that I took off the trailer. One of them has never been on the ground.

I assume they're all the Lexus/Toyota 6 lug pattern? Although, do 16" wheels actually fit our rigs?

I didn't try the 16" on the truck, but yes they are all 6x139.7. I don't know what the backspacing / offset is on the 16" rims.

I didn't try the 16" on the truck, but yes they are all 6x139.7. I don't know what the backspacing / offset is on the 16" rims.
Do those large tires rub on the fenders of your trailer if you bounce too hard? Also looking at your rig, I'm guessing that you keep the "seventh" tire (spare) on the trailer?

The trailer came with those big tires, so suspension was designed for it. Loads of clearance for them.

I keep the stock spare on the GX460, recognizing the risk and limited use of it because it is so much smaller. I keep the "7th spare" - exact wheel/tire as on the truck / trailer on the trailer as a spare.

Reactions: r2m
Yes, a little. I'm sure it will be back to normal with a few sheets of sound deadener and the drawer system installed.

Did you lose a lot of space or is that a non-issue for your center console do-dads?

The center console isn't big to begin with, but the console vault fits inside the space pretty tight and doesn't cause you to lose very much.

I've been wanting one of those for a while now. Guess I'll add it to the list lol.

Who in the Frisco area is doing this work for you?

Please disregard my who did it question. I did not realize I was not at the end of your story. 👍🏼 On the work done!

Hey @giovanni did you get your goose gear base plate installed? Curious about your feedback on quality and install experience.

I'm considering removing the third row as weight save (more so than gaining space). But I believe I read the third row seats are ~40lbs and the base plate is ~35ish.?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom