Gettin' my lift on. Last min details & Can anyone Help? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I have a few more things to order early this week and then I should have everything except Shocks. (I am going to measure for them after I get the lift on)

Still have to get or do the following.
1- U-bolts- was thinking of the local place, but dont know what to tell them for dimensions etc??
2- Poly bushings - Ordering from Alcan on Monday I hope. I like these http://store.yahoo.com/coolfj40/busfjleafspr.html but no way I am willing to pay 2x as much for them? Any ideas here. (I was going Alcan b/c thats the springs I have and they already have bushings in them) But it seems as if I am going to have to order enough for everything so it will match? I just need them for the shackle to frame.
3- When I purchased my springs and shackles (used) they have no greas. rear shackles.I want to make them greas. any way to do that inexpensively? Or is it a big issue? I Have heard they will squeek after awhile if you cannot grease them. How or if do I make the shackles greas? Supposedly they are MAF anti inversion.
4- Order or make my sway bar extensions. Any help with this would be great!!!

I have my greas. pins on the way (got them for about $50 shipped!)
Steering stab. on the way was well. OME for $54 shipped.
I already have the springs and shackles.
Already have the extended brake lines.
PB blaster and WD40 - I will lube up every bolt for a week b/f tear down! My truck is from MN afterall.

Can you think of anything else I would need?
Grease for bushings?
People to help me?? :) :)
may need a few more jack stands (I have 2 big ones and 2 little ones)

As I mentioned b/f I was trying to use a friend's shop. (I didnt get to work that out)
So.......
I am going to need someone with an air wrench and possibly a welder (depending on what shock set-up I go with and who knows what I may run into with as much rust as I have!)
I would like to do this at my house, but if its not possible then I am willing to work something out to get your help.

I am free most days during the week (from now until new years) but know many of you are not. As far as I know the only weekend I have is the one after Christmas.

I am plumb excited about this as I have had the main parts of this lift for over a year in my garage. I know several people wanted to as a min be here when I did the lift and thats fine. I am up for whatever. Wouldnt mind making it a group event (I know I am still not an Official member, but I did put it on my Christmas list. )

Thanks again guys I look forward to getting to finally do something with you all again.

I'm going to order some bushings from cruiserouttfitters. Here is the linkhttp://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/sus_es82106.html

I've heard that these are trustworthy and probably the most used as far as replacements, I'm sure they'll fit with the alcans and the shackles.

When are you going to be doing the work? i'd like to come and lend a hand(if I'm off work), I'm only about 15 minutes from due west.

Matt

Go get your ubolts from Greenville spring. Just take off one of your old ones, take it to them and they make them in a bout 5 minutes 4 for 28 bucks, that's with tax. The front ones are different than the rears. If your springs are thicker than your stock ones you may want to ask them to make them a little longer. You can always cut the excess off once you have everything bolted up. The 4 jack stands you have will be enough, you will only want to do one end at a time. It's a lot safer when you have a pair of tires still attached to the truck and not jacked up. You may have to do some poundin and pullin and it makes ya feel a lot better when ya got a set or tires touchin the ground.

Matt- I am trying to get a feel for when people could help me out. So date is Unknown at this time.

Cruisin - Thats the place I was thinking about. Only issue is this. I live a good 45min to 1hr away from G-ville. And cant just pull off a u-bolt to take it up there? Thats the issue. Any way to get a set from them other than that? My spring pack is bigger and I can measure if need be.

Maybe Chuck still has his old one left and you could take those up there?

I'm up for helping but I have no idea when. I'm swamped right now. Just get a date and I'll see what I can do.

Actually I still do have that one. Not sure why I kept it. I don't have a rear one. Maybe someone else on here has one for the rear. Give them a call they may be able to measure it while it's on the axle. Remind me on friday and I'll bring it with me on saturday.

Chuck

Another ? did the $24 include the nuts and anything else I am going to need?
The Cruiser Outfitters Bushings are more expensive than the ones from Alcan, and I dont really wanna go with black. (Gotta have some bling) :) I am real curious about the Speed Pro bushings, but want to know more about them. (the ones listed in the link of my first post)

How does the weekend after Christmas look for everyone? Dec. 31st is the sat. I dont mind starting it on that Friday and having Sat as a roll over?? Will this work for anyone?

I think this is the biggest ?
Anyone have a air wrench or other items we could use or could bring? I just dont see me getting off 16 yr. old rusted nuts without some serious back work. Would love to use an air impact or wrench. (I am going to check around here with other people I know as well)
I know this isnt needed but if it will cut my pain and frustration in half I think its worth it!! My truck is from MN and has plently of rust uderneath!

Last edited:
you are going to want to cut your ubolts off. This only leaves the spring bolts. If you don't have a grinder you can borrow one of my 3. And as far as air you can borrow my compressor but it's very small and probably not worth the time. You can borrw it and the impact wrench if you join the club this month. Get in touch with alex.

Trollhole said:
you are going to want to cut your ubolts off. This only leaves the spring bolts. If you don't have a grinder you can borrow one of my 3. And as far as air you can borrow my compressor but it's very small and probably not worth the time. You can borrw it and the impact wrench if you join the club this month. Get in touch with alex.

He he a little blackmail hey?? I am sure I can spring the $10 if I dont get it for Christmas. :) I am just lazy I guess. Must be trying to raise the ranks in ?#'s.

I guess I would bring up the southwestern portion of our area.

Thanks for the offer on the grinder. I do have one of those and a sawzall. Which blades do you recomend for cutting the u-bolts?

Lastly, can anyone check about the u-bolts as I need to order the bushings and extension on the front sway bar ( I think I am going to try and make the ext fro the rear). I woudl like to get it all ordered at one time.

Thanks a ton guys!!

Matt, If I'm following all this you need to be careful that the bushings match the spring end diameter. I bought them separate once and they were not compatible. You can use my shop if you like and I will help if possible. I have replaced springs on one sixty and five 40's. I have all necessary ingredients including several jackstands. If you have help its a quick job.

Alan,
I will be up at your place (I think) on Wednesday. Maybe we can look it over and see if we can work something out. I AM GOING TO NEED SOME HELP. As I have not tackled any larger stuff alone and I also havent changed out springs before.

My biggest concern is getting it done (if I dont do it at home) And IF I am going to measure for the shocks afterward then I will have to leave it there until they come in.

On the bushings, I thought I would just order them from Alcan for the exact reason you just stated. (Not matching up etc.)

Again any advice on the u-bolts would be great. I just want to get all the parts here so I can get this done!! Especially if I have people who can help me knock this out in a day! :)

How long are we lookign at here. In talking with Ghen last night we thought a full day would be good? I am up for doing it the sooner the better!

yeah it'll take you a full day, but the more you cut the quicker it goes. Did you order new pins? if so then it should take like 5 minutes. Cut the ubolts, cut the old pins, and everything falls off real quick. Then put in the new bushings in the new springs, put the new pins and the new tear drop bolt, drop the axle back down on the springs, put the new ubolts on, tighten everything down and drive away. Like I said 5 minutes

Yee Haw!!!!!

Yep got new pins and need the new U-bolts havent figured what to do as far as the g-vill shop or just order them. I do still need the other litems listed above.

Just ordered my greas. shackle bolts. And hoping to get to the place in g-vill for the u-bolts. I still need to get some to take up there if possible. If not I am going to have to either order some online or cut mine off and take them up there.
Anyone help with this as my question that I keep asking. Do nuts and washer come in the $28 price??

Still looking fro the poly bushings. Emailed clemson 4wheel today at lunch still no responce. I will prob call them tomm as I will be up there for the Graduation on thursday.

That should be it.. I am looking at next Wednesday or Thursday?? Is that possible for anyone? I think I can do it @ my house since I am going to cut my pins and u-bolts. I just need some help to make sure I am not messing something up.

yes the washer and nuts come with it. Do not cut the ubolt you take to them, leave it in one piece.

Well.. here is an update.

Picked up the U-bolt of Gehn's and headed to CU grad. Then got back home and decided to work on the cruiser. (I got mixed up on who had the front u-bolt and ended up getting the rear only)

So I lubed up the u-bolts and other bolts. Got the car up on stands (front) and the axle on stands.
Pulled drivers side appart. Shock off and then tried on the u-bolts. Yeah tried being the term. SO I gave a good friend a call and ran down the road and got a breaker bar and about a 3' length of pipe :) he he TOld him if that didnt work then I would be calling him to come help me break it loose.
Got back to the house relubed with another kind of lube and used the breaker bar and the pipe. Broke the drivers side loose and got them off. Hopefully will head to G-vill tomm to get the bolts made.
Then hope to make a full day of it. (we will see) Might have one guy comming to help but he isnt sure if he can make it.
I am trying my best to remember to take pics so I can document this as best as possible. Will prob post it on the 60 series forum.

Thanks for everyones help and please say a prayer I do no tmess anything up :)
Up Up and up 4" :)

Well thought I would give a little update since I couldnt do anything in the rain today. I got the front passanger off and on except for the spring to shackle bolt.

Note to self never buy cheap tools. My sawzall aparently will not cut upside down and is off and on even when right side up :( yeah it sucks.

Next issue was that the front shackles have a little larger bolts than stock (he got me I bought this stuff used) bushings are not working without serious busting bolts through them to trim out the 1/16 or 1mm needed extra. Yeah sucks, I am gunna try and find a drill bit to do the remaining 3 sets. After that it should be clear sailing. I posted a few pictures here http://www.erskinepictures.com/ecstudents/Cruiser-lift-Progress I am hopefully going to get on it again for a full day saturday. But maybe here and there the rest of this week when I can.

Anyone have pointers on how many TPI for the sawzall blades? I got 14 TPI but they are only cutting it when i get a groove going with the grinder (using grinding wheel when it will fit and cutt-off wheel when it will not)

Any other pointers woudl be great and whoever said it would take 5 mins is absolutely nuts! Anyways, hopefully all this will be done in the next week. Got a line on a set of rims so hopefully they will work out as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom