Georgia Traverse (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gun Runner 5

ODD IRON OFF ROAD
SILVER Star
Threads
I'm going with the assumption that many of you guys are familiar with the Georgia Traverse. If one can dedicate only one to two days to the trails, is there a section that is more recommended than others? I unfortunately don't have time to do the entire track.
Thanks, Charles / Thomasville, Ga.

Never heard of this, but I'm new to the area and would also be interested in a good day stretch. Is this a loop trail?

I guess it depends on what you’re looking for, if you want to wheel I would not recommend the Traverse. None of it is challenging or could you really consider it wheeling.

But, if you want to get up in the mountains, ride the roads, camp, fish, see beautiful vistas and mountain streams, explore forest service roads and have great time the Traverse is awesome.

I prefer the west portion of the Traverse. I suppose from Blairsville west. Although the Tallulah River/Charlie’s Creek area has the best “wheeling” and a cool river crossings. Just don’t camp there (3 campground s) unless you like the campground scene.

Unfortunately, the forest service closes roads a lot which is frustrating and means you can spend more time on pavement than I like.

I would recommend starting in Blairsville or Blue Ridge and go west. I like that section the most because it’s more remote and I can find campsites that are super remote. I like to venture off of the Traverse and explore forest service roads. I find some of the best campsites that way.

Make sure to download the Traverse on your IPad or get GAIA or you’ll be screwed.

Last but not least report back and post lots of pictures. Two things I’m not very good at.

Last edited:
@sammybones ...... "But, if you want to get up in the mountains, ride the roads, camp, fish, see beautiful vistas and mountain streams, explore forest service roads and have great time the Traverse is awesome."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's exactly what we're seeking. :)

I'm coming up from Florida to see my brother in the hospital in Macon. Bringing my boys, going to see him, then head north and sleep in the cruiser around Clayton area. If anyone is down for some "wheeling" let me know, I just found 3 roads that are open for the first time in at least 10 years, pretty cool. PM me and I'll send you my number. Wheeling Saturday evening, and all day Sunday. 10/26 and 10/27

It appears work will interfere with our best laid plans so we're going to try again in the early Spring.
This happened to us last time we were planning to do it. We will be back in GA in the Spring. Maybe we could hook up and do part of it. I have always wanted to do the whole thing just because.

This happened to us last time we were planning to do it. We will be back in GA in the Spring. Maybe we could hook up and do part of it. I have always wanted to do the whole thing just because.
With work I'll probably be limited to 3 days at a time (say Friday through Sunday) so it will take multiple attempts to complete the whole thing. I've got a 4+ hour drive to get into position.

FWIW, there is a freakin' awesome camping spot on the Charlie's Creek trail. It's right off the trail, down low on the river. I wheeled with another mudder in the early Spring and stayed here when they headed home. You'll see and hear other trucks going by on the trail but by evening, there was nobody else.

20190330_182200_HDR.jpg

20190330_163642.jpg

20190330_163623.jpg

We need to organize a trail ride/camping trip. The leaves should be turning about now. Should be beautiful up there.

Last edited:
Not sure if anyone will see this but I’m going to be heading up to the Clayton area tonight if anyone wants tags along. My plans are to wake up tomorrow morning and make plans. The no plan plan. Maybe push west on the traverse just because I never have. Maybe explore roads/trails around there. PM me for my number if interested.

Kinda glad we didn't pick this week (11/12). One would need to sit very close to the fire. :)
My most memorable hikes/camping trips have always been when I froze my butt off. It never seemed that great at the time though. Go figure.

I am planning on heading up to do some of the traverse the weekend before thanksgiving. This area is probably the closest decent run to Florida. I am not at all familiar with the area but the plan is to hit as little paved roads as possible. If anyone has some good recommendations for a good start point with decent views, off road camping etc please feel free to PM me.

Here is our first run with some tracks, and we are considering repeating the route. Charlie Creek as mentioned above was probably the best section for both trail and camp. I continued west later and found more road closures than I cared for (gates shut outside of hunting season mainly) and mostly a combination of well maintained dirt roads or asphalt. Of course you could deviate from the main route and explore, but I am only speaking to the established path.

We are going to try once again to plan a 2 day run this Spring. I'll pick my son-in-law up in Acworth, Ga. so we will concentrate on tracks near there. I'm open to any and all suggestions on where to go in the western section of the traverse. We are simply interested in a scenic ride and somewhere interesting to camp.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom