Georgia Traverse (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I live in Cartersville and and drive the full Cohutta loop several times a year. I start in Chatsworth and make the complete loop, which takes you on USFS roads up into Tennessee near the Ocoee River before you head south again. We typically camp about the halfway point. Approx. 93 miles all the way around and back out from CCC Camp Road. The good news is there are several opportunities to get back out sooner if you don't wan't to drive the whole thing. Best times are early March or November, preferably weekdays when there aren't as many other folks kicking up dust and competing for campsites!

IMG_2938.jpg

IMG_3181.jpg

IMG_3179.jpg

I live in Cartersville and and drive the full Cohutta loop several times a year. I start in Chatsworth and make the complete loop, which takes you on USFS roads up into Tennessee near the Ocoee River before you head south again. We typically camp about the halfway point. Approx. 93 miles all the way around and back out from CCC Camp Road. The good news is there are several opportunities to get back out sooner if you don't wan't to drive the whole thing. Best times are early March or November, preferably weekdays when there aren't as many other folks kicking up dust and competing for campsites!

View attachment 2278658

View attachment 2278659

View attachment 2278660
We had hoped to try at least part of the Traverse last Fall but we couldn't get our ducks in a row. We decided to try again this Spring and the Coronavirus reared its ugly head. Maybe this Fall.

We had hoped to try at least part of the Traverse last Fall but we couldn't get our ducks in a row. We decided to try again this Spring and the Coronavirus reared its ugly head. Maybe this Fall.
Well, the traverse sounds like social distancing to me, and I’m thinking this also qualifies as “essential travel” - as in essential to keeping your sanity. I got to get out of this #### house!

Well, the traverse sounds like social distancing to me, and I’m thinking this also qualifies as “essential travel” - as in essential to keeping your sanity. I got to get out of this #### house!
There are several private homes way up in there, so imagine you could drive most of it. Trails might be another story. If anything, you can drive CCC Camp Road for several miles and have a great time.

We have been camping almost half of all weekends the last two months in national Forrest and had no problems at all. Usually off FS roads, sometimes off the road hidden from sight and it’s been fine. I don’t mean to sound indignant but it’s our Forrest and ppl aren’t going to tell me no. Especially when a rational reason cannot be articulated and all required social distancing measures are being heeded.

Are you guys using the downloaded GA Traverse map in Gaia? I downloaded the file but it’s a zip and I can’t put it in the Gaia app

Are you guys using the downloaded GA Traverse map in Gaia? I downloaded the file but it’s a zip and I can’t put it in the Gaia app
Yeah that’s where I got mine from. I’m using an IPad and I initially had trouble as well. I had to watch a YouTube video or two to figure it out. I think I had to email it to myself which would then let me change the file type if I recall.

Thinking we might do the Cohutta/big frog loop this weekend. Anybody been up there since Covid came to visit? Wondering if there are portions closed or impassable due to lack of trail maintenance. Thanks in advance for any intel - will also check out the FS website

I just did the upper half and had no problems. Can’t speak to the lower portions. I would say with the sand coming in soon find a place to camp high and get a really epic sunset in.

I just did the upper half and had no problems. Can’t speak to the lower portions. I would say with the sand coming in soon find a place to camp high and get a really epic sunset in.
Just did the lower loop this past weekend, no issues. @rex in bama

I was up there the weekend in March just before the shelter in place order happened. It was a Saturday, but was still surprised at the number of people/vehicles up there. I also think the USFS needs to get some road work done up around the Big Frog section of the loop, or we may not have a road much longer.

I was up there the weekend in March just before the shelter in place order happened. It was a Saturday, but was still surprised at the number of people/vehicles up there. I also think the USFS needs to get some road work done up around the Big Frog section of the loop, or we may not have a road much longer.
Up there right now (drove from Cisco to tumbling creek today). All seems ok, though they have a road closed sign up.

1A235905-2592-4695-B99F-7AB799D79824.jpeg

Up there right now (drove from Cisco to tumbling creek today). All seems ok, though they have a road closed sign up.

View attachment 2354050
We stopped at that same spot. It’s funny how you can discern one particular location in the woods sometimes.

Question for everyone: would anybody be interested in going on a cleanup run a few times a year? Here or anywhere. I see WAY too much trash lately in a lot of the places I go. I pickup a bit where and when I can obviously but might be the excuse needed to get more ppl out.

We stopped at that same spot. It’s funny how you can discern one particular location in the woods sometimes.

Question for everyone: would anybody be interested in going on a cleanup run a few times a year? Here or anywhere. I see WAY too much trash lately in a lot of the places I go. I pickup a bit where and when I can obviously but might be the excuse needed to get more ppl out.
Thats a great idea. I'd be in for trash run. Maybe run some Beasley or something fun while we're up there.

Not a bad idea. We carried out some cans and such from a few places we stopped. Have seen worse, but was still enough to make you shake your head and curse the dumb####s.

Let me know when you plan to do this. I'd be in to help

Hey maybe if we pickup enough cans we can have a plinking contest at the end as a reward to ourselves!

Staying in Highlands and did some of the stretch over here today. Road is in good shape.

592608EC-98CC-4C02-8E10-12634D2413BC.jpeg

Nice! It’s purdy around that area. Best chicken tenders I ever had were in the Highlands. I therefore have fond memories of that place. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom