Builds George - 1983 Pickup SR5 Long Bed (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My 7/'82 SR5 has no A/C or PS, but has the tachometer, had the stripes, etc.

The bench is a weird anomaly, for sure. I have never heard of an SR5 coming with a bench. Maybe it was swapped in at some point? Hard to say. But the whole tailgate saying SR5 on it in the picture is what made me think SR5 for sure. At the end of the day, it's still a multi-colored 37 year old rust bucket haha. I don't think anyone at Barrett Jackson is going to be interested in George, and concerned if it's an SR5 or DLX. :rofl:

Heck yeah! Congrats! Looks to be in awesome shape!
Yes, thank you, other than the rust and the dome light cover exploding when I touched it, just a little marvel mystery oil and some elbow grease and this baby roars again! I need new tires now the dry rot didn’t make the 4 mile trip to my house...

Damn, I LOVE this truck. I would rock that patina for ever! Rolling art!

Yes, thank you, other than the rust and the dome light cover exploding when I touched it, just a little marvel mystery oil and some elbow grease and this baby roars again! I need new tires now the dry rot didn’t make the 4 mile trip to my house...
You can still get those little dome light covers from Toyota! They're dirt cheap. Mine exploded too lol.
Damn, I LOVE this truck. I would rock that patina for ever! Rolling art!
That's the plan for sure! I'll do a little treating to it, to try and help preserve it a little bit. It just needs to stop being winter here in Utah haha.

You can still get those little dome light covers from Toyota! They're dirt cheap. Mine exploded too lol.

That's the plan for sure! I'll do a little treating to it, to try and help preserve it a little bit. It just needs to stop being winter here in Utah haha.
Thank you for the info on the dome cover!

The bench is a weird anomaly, for sure. I have never heard of an SR5 coming with a bench. Maybe it was swapped in at some point? Hard to say. But the whole tailgate saying SR5 on it in the picture is what made me think SR5 for sure. At the end of the day, it's still a multi-colored 37 year old rust bucket haha. I don't think anyone at Barrett Jackson is going to be interested in George, and concerned if it's an SR5 or DLX. :rofl:
Yeah its hard to tell from the pictures if the bench is original or not, but toyota did make a 4X2 bench seat and a 4X4 bench seat so you could have requested a sr5 with a bench back then. Just not super common.
Definitely a cool find right there, i love these trucks!

Thank you for the info on the dome cover!
No problem! It's surprising how much is still available for these little trucks.
Yeah its hard to tell from the pictures if the bench is original or not, but toyota did make a 4X2 bench seat and a 4X4 bench seat so you could have requested a sr5 with a bench back then. Just not super common.
Definitely a cool find right there, i love these trucks!
Super hard to tell, but I'm on the lookout for some buckets. And a tailgate haha.

... And a tailgate haha.

There's a chance I'll end up with an extra tailgate. The bed I bought - thought it was solid - is not worth restoring/painting. But, the tailgate is good. If the bed I eventually find (scouring FB and CL) comes with a good gate - I'll ship one to UT.

There's a chance I'll end up with an extra tailgate. The bed I bought - thought it was solid - is not worth restoring/painting. But, the tailgate is good. If the bed I eventually find (scouring FB and CL) comes with a good gate - I'll ship one to UT.
That would be awesome!! Keep me posted, because I'm way interested. Thanks!

Super hard to tell, but I'm on the lookout for some buckets. And a tailgate haha.
Yeah i feel you on the buckets, ive been looking for a good set for like the last year and a decent tailgate is a HARD part to come by especially one touch. Good luck on the search!

Last Friday we did a trans and t-case service on ol' George. Holy crap that was some old gear oil. I also failed to mention the radiator replacement I did about a month ago. So between the fresh fluid, and a new radiator, I was feeling a little confident in this plucky little Pickup. So on a hope and a prayer, we took it for a little road trip and off-roading!
DSC02138.JPG

And it did awesome! Well, minus the terribly worn out suspension, and my sore back haha. I put about 120 miles on it, and it seriously didn't skip a beat. Buttery smooth at 65, and happy as can be with the 5-speed. I seriously burned a quarter of a tank for the whole trip. That's insane!! I'm trying to figure out the exact size, but don't these have a 15 gallon tank? I thought the long bed's had the 15, and the short bed had a 13. Either way, that's killer gas mileage!
DSC02147.JPG

I also added a fleabay dash mat that fits like a glove, and makes the truck feel so much nicer. Slapped a few patches on there for some overlanding points haha, and a fresh new car freshener.
DSC02152.JPG

The one casualty for the weekend, I lost my tailgate/2x4 haha. Other than that, can't say enough about this rad little truck.
DSC02139.JPG

DSC02161.JPG

Remember how we lost the tailgate 2x4, last time we took it out off-roading? Well, until I find that unicorn 1-touch tailgate, this will have to do. Besides the roll bar, this might be the most redneck thing on this truck. :rofl:
IMG_0439.jpg

When my wife watched the video, she laughed pretty hard at the part where I'm walking up to it, and talking about the smell. Not because she thought what I said was funny, but because in an open field, George looks like an abandoned truck in a field haha.

IMG-0509.JPG

DSC02164.JPG

Love these pics. Man, George is absolutely perfect. Such a cool truck. I showed a couple pics to a buddy of mine who's a DP... He loved the shots and said "Oooh... that truck would rent for a lot in the movie car world."

I was on the set of a (fill in giant budget superhero) movie this past fall and saw an '83 with "movie patina." It pained me that I couldn't post a pic here. It would've been fun hearing you guys pick it a part. It was a decent attempt... but nothing like George.

Love these pics. Man, George is absolutely perfect. Such a cool truck. I showed a couple pics to a buddy of mine who's a DP... He loved the shots and said "Oooh... that truck would rent for a lot in the movie car world."

I was on the set of a (fill in giant budget superhero) movie this past fall and saw an '83 with "movie patina." It pained me that I couldn't post a pic here. It would've been fun hearing you guys pick it a part. It was a decent attempt... but nothing like George.
Haha thanks man! I have always thought it would be cool to rent one of my cars for a movie. If only I lived in California! Here in Utah, they don't have much of a need for a ratty old truck in a High School Musical movie haha. But thanks! I love this little truck. I wish I knew what movie that was! I love finding Toyota's in movies haha. Like the FJ62 in Pineapple Express. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom