Builds George - 1983 Pickup SR5 Long Bed (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, George has developed a new quirk, for lack of a better term haha. Around town, runs fine, no issues. If I do highway travel for more than 10 to fifteen minutes, when I get off the freeway, it idles super high, and then surges. I'm talking close to 3 grand. If I shut it off for like 10 minutes, it starts fine, and idles fine. No surging, normal idle. Any thoughts? I've heard EGR, and fast idle cam, and someone else suggested maybe the carb is loading up. Any advice/tips are greatly appreciated!

Get a beer can, cut a chunk out of it. Loosen the 2 studs holding on the EGR at the back of the head. Slip the beer can block off plate down in there, tighten the nuts. See if that helps.

It worked for me on my '84.

Can’t help with your idle issue, but George is awesome! Glad you rescued and are using that cool truck. Enjoy and keep the pics and stories coming.

Get a beer can, cut a chunk out of it. Loosen the 2 studs holding on the EGR at the back of the head. Slip the beer can block off plate down in there, tighten the nuts. See if that helps.

It worked for me on my '84.
I like where your head's at haha. Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try!
Can’t help with your idle issue, but George is awesome! Glad you rescued and are using that cool truck. Enjoy and keep the pics and stories coming.
Thanks! It's been a fun little truck, even with the little quirks that have popped up here and there.

I like where your head's at haha. Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try!

I drove my truck like that for probably 3 years. The EGR was busted and a new one was $$$, so that was the fix. Sold the entire engine with the piece of Guinness can still in place (disclosed to buyer).

Found a photo, from 2002, red circle:
Engine7a.jpg

Last edited:
I drove my truck like that for probably 3 years. The EGR was busted and a new one was $$$, so that was the fix. Sold the entire engine with the piece of Guinness can still in place (disclosed to buyer).

Found a photo, from 2002, red circle:
View attachment 2234109
That's awesome. Love the ingenuity. My dad used a Coor's 24 pack box as a headgasket on the Johnson on our ski boat. Worked all weekend!

Gave George a bath, and decided to try my hand at patina preservation last weekend! Man that truck was filthy. The CLR alone did wonders. I started with the hood first:
IMG_0721.jpeg

That rusty hood is smooth as butter now, and the graphics sparkle in the sun. Cool as hell.
IMG_0726.jpg

The hand painted pinstripe really stands out now, too!
IMG_0728.jpg

Truly a dying art.

Feeling extremely excited about the results of the hood, I moved on to the fenders, doors, and roof. I think the roof was worse than the hood, for sure.
IMG_0736.jpg

I still need to do a little cut/polishing on this good(ish) paint. This is just from using CLR on it.
IMG_0737.jpg

I even polished the ol' truck mullet while I was at it. :cool:
IMG_0738.jpg

Finished up with a good polish on the bumper. Seriously, every time I look at this truck, I fall more in love with the patina.

Damn. When painters, RC modelers, etc are trying to recreate patina... this is what they're going by. It's just so badass.

Just read through this thread. What an awesome truck, love the patina! I just purchased an 80’ shortbed Hilux with original paint, planning on doing the same process. Will be following along.
Thanks man! Just saw your post over in the Patina thread. Congrats on a killer find! Those guys gave you solid advice, I'm excited to see how it turns out! Love these old trucks.

It was finally time to make the truck truly mine. It's sticker time.

I started off by removing this weird alien sticker lol.
IMG-0820.JPG

And in the process, decided to polish the rest of the glove box door. Turned out awesome!

IMG-0821.JPG

Even the label cleaned up nice!

IMG-0823.JPG

Added a couple to the back windows, and one on the jerry can. It's a little blasphemous, as it's clearly not Toyota oe, and Toyota ones exist. But I'm not too worried about Hagerty giving me flack for it lol.

IMG-0825.JPG

IMG-0827.JPG

What farm truck is complete without a Mexican blanket on the seat?

IMG-0822.JPG

And I added something to compliment that red/gold scheme I have going.

IMG-0829.JPG

Not a ton of exciting updates! Truck is still running strong, and taking me to work and back every day.

Not a video about George! But if you're curious where my appreciation of classics come from, I present to you my parents 73 VW Bus, and my grandpa's 76 GMC Sierra, they have owned since new. Someday, Old Green will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine. :cool:

I have some George updates!! Remember that weird idle issue I had, after driving at freeway speeds? Turns out I have one of those ultra-rare 22R's that self heal, because it hasn't happened once since, and has been running like an absolute champ. That is also in part from me changing out the plugs and wires. No pics, but you should have seen how nasty those plugs were. They were gapped to like .65 😬 And they're supposed to be .31. That honestly cleaned it up a little bit, and I feel a tad bit more oomph getting on the freeway. I'll take all the oomph I can get haha.

But the most exciting update.. I did a thing!
IMG-1563.jpg

Rustoleum white baby! I've been back and forth on what color to do, but I decided on white, and I am super stoked with how they look.
IMG-1564.JPG

IMG-1565.JPG

They aren't perfect, and I sprayed them with the tires mounted, and the weights on there haha. But I'm not too worried about it. Hagerty will understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom