Generators for home back-up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We closed on our new property as Hurricane Harvey was rolling in. I was out there and there was no standing water. It all soaked in or ran off. We have hard packed sand but if enough rain falls, a hilltop will flood. Tropical Storm Allison chained right across Houston south to north and flooded areas that had never seen flooding before. More recently a doc I see had his building flood and his generator go under water for a week. Decided to put mine above ground level just in case we got more than can run off. This stand is 3' off the ground and the 3" pipe goes down 3'. The expanded metal keeps critters out. My maintenance guy said he has seen fan blades chewed to shreds by raccoons and its ugly when the unit fires up on it's weekly test run.

In this part of the Gulf Coast we either have AC or perish and the compound will have at least 4 AC units so I went big on the unit and on the natural gas line. Originally I was suspect of using natural gas. I thought if an F5, think Jared TX, tornado comes through and leaves nothing but foundations, that the gas company would turn off the mains and I'd be out of luck. I called them up and the guy I spoke with said he had never seen them shut off the feed, even during the tri-county fire where whole neighborhoods burned to the ground.

I don't have a pic handy of the panel open. There is a 5.7 liter Chevy water cooled engine powering the 60Kw generator. I want to be able to run it at the same time as running furnaces, pool heater etc so its fed by a 5lb gas meter. The company put in the meter and tried to gyp us with a 2lb regulator on the meter. The generator guy and the plumper said no go and they brought out the 5lb regulator and billed me another $975 for the upgrade. I'm going to build a roof over the unit with large enough pipe to withstand a falling tree. It would be a bitch if a storm laid a huge tree on top of the unit denying me the juice i need. Have you seen teens like 15 minutes after the internet goes down?

I do like the Yanmar for smaller diesel generators, I suppose Honda for smaller gasoline. There are slow speed older diesels like some Lister models that are worthwhile.

Yes, transfer switch and pony panel for your important loads in the home. If you live like a MAN, you'll only need to keep your relevant cooling and HVAC loads going? As well as your fridge/freezer. Anything else is usually unnceccesary. You can BBQ outdoors for many months.

Our main concern is having power to the well. No electric, no water.

Ron have you thought about a “Tractor-Driven PTO Generator”? Smaller foot print and less upkeep everything else being equal.

I have a 1000 gal onsite tank so I was looking at a diesel 3phase generator to power the well a couple years ago and decided that maintaining another engine around here for “just in case” didn’t make sense when we have a tractor that is already maintained and could power the generator.

Hey Jim,

I did at one time, then got hooked on the military stuff and bought the trailer with two 4 cyl. Onan diesels on it for $1300, I couldn't pass it up. My luck I'd be baling hay when the lights go out. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom