Builds Gen IV LS/NV4500 Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Why not coilovers?

Why not coilovers?

To get enough travel you need a coilover that's at least 18" long. To package that coilover you either have to go up into the body with a new trussed top mount or cantilever it pretty far down off the axle. The stock 80-series shock mount is low and seems like a good first choice to do that, but it's so far outboard that the coilover ends up tilted in really far at the top with a less than ideal motion ratio. If you add another mount more inboard it's going to be puttnig a lot of load right in the middle of the tube (not good) and will be a huge rock-catcher which will probably lead to damaging your very expensive coilover.

If you look at a 5th Gen 4Runner you'll see they use a shock location like the 80-series but then mounted it outboard of the frame at the top. They curl the frame around it to pull it inboard and give tire clearance when the wheels are stuffed. That would be the ideal setup with a coilover but requires major frame surgery or wide axles and big fender flares.

Has anyone else had this problem? Or maybe nobody else is wheeling on the rear coil kit?

I’m curious if you could create a structured cross member type setup that ties both sides together?

I realize your moving on from this concept, just curious how it could be improved. Definitely a lot of force on a few welds hanging off the frame, yet supporting half the truck.

They definitely need some sort of crossmember like the 80 chassis has if mounted inside the frame rails.

When I did mine (with cut & pasted parts from a donor 80), I used the front square tube of the rear crossmember with all of the attachment points, and trimmed it to fit the narrower 60 frame. The buckets had to come offf (too wide) and required careful surgery to clear the tank. They are welded the full length, F to R, as well as to the crossmember like the stock 80. There is no rear crossmember tho, so I also tied them to the bottom of the frame for additional support.

On the axle, I had to cut off the spring perches, and moved them some to better match the 60 frame width rotate them forward a few degrees to keep the coils relatively straight.

It ended up being a lot of unexpected work, with intentional slight misalignments here and there, which the suspension sees while driving anyway.

I’m happy with it, and glad I did it, and am also intrigued with the airbag idea since you can adjust for the load & desired ride height.

Just my opinion here I think the bucket could be designed to overlap the top of the chassis the sides of the bucket could be bent outwards on the side of the chassis not just butted to the chassis. Also extend the bucket sides to go down and under the bottom of the chassis. Doing this would be more than just butt welding the bucket to the side of the chassis and reduce the prying effect of the bucket .

One other thing that can't see was there any under cut on the weld on the chassis side. How hot was the weld Toyota chassis dont like hot welds they are thin so a big 220 welder with .035 wire will be a little much for the thin wall chassis. @Well Sorted not doubting your work just talking out loud here. Either way it alot of leverage on the frame

I think a nice wide 1/4” plate, the height of the frame rail with some plug welds in it and the sides of the coil buckets spread wider and lower around the frame and it would probably be a non-issue.
This is the kind of issue the vendor should find out for themselves through testing though, not the customer who bought the product. I think Tor ran his setup hard for over a year before offering it for sale

X3, frame plates are the appropriate fix. Always need to avoid long vertical welds directly on the frame rail for structural connections. Sliders, bumpers, suspension, etc.

Yep, one of the reasons I went with Tor's kit is the mileage he's put on his truck. Another complicating factor crept up duing the last month that helped make that decision... I got a call from Brian at Goose Gear who I've known for a couple years. He's tried to buy the truck numerous times but this time I decided to let it go. I explained everything going on and he was okay with us fixing it and liked the airbags, he'll be loading it up with a Goose Gear storage system and taking it to shows so the load adjustment of the bags will be nice.

I probably could have devised some sort of coilover system that would work but since the truck was heading to a new home I wanted a proven solution. Much the same as you guys, I don't want my customer doing my R&D for me.

So when the parts arrived from Torfab we got busy making the repair. Since the original factory shock crossmember had been cutout out we had to make a replacement for the upper shock mounts. We decided to integrate everything into a single unit so we could mock it up then weld it on the bench before putting it in the truck. We put the upper shock mounts in double shear on the bottom of the tube and spaced them down a bit which helps account for the lift. We've got the shock almost dead center in it's travel so have a good range of motion and now we've got a nice beefy shock mount, plating on the frame, and the bag mounts ready to go. Time to weld it in...

20210526_174443.jpg

This is a big change. what’s your next cruiser going to be?

Well, I have an FJ80 that we're going to do a quick LS swap on for my summer family camping rig, I've got a 6.2L/6L80 combo sitting on a pallet ready to go in. We tow an offroad teardrop trailer for family outings so the old 3FE just won't cut it over our mountain passes. After that, I may get back to my Ute conversion project and try to get it up and running for next year. I'm batting around some ideas for powertrain on it (again) so later this fall I may have the parts collected and be ready to get back going on that one.

In the meantime I have this second gen Bronco I want to build and then I just picked up this. Because racecar. :)

20210525_165724.jpg

Well, I have an FJ80 that we're going to do a quick LS swap on for my summer family camping rig, I've got a 6.2L/6L80 combo sitting on a pallet ready to go in. We tow an offroad teardrop trailer for family outings so the old 3FE just won't cut it over our mountain passes. After that, I may get back to my Ute conversion project and try to get it up and running for next year. I'm batting around some ideas for powertrain on it (again) so later this fall I may have the parts collected and be ready to get back going on that one.

In the meantime I have this second gen Bronco I want to build and then I just picked up this. Because racecar. :)

View attachment 2687109
Why can’t you just pull the teardrop with the race car? 😁

Last edited:
Are you going to create a thread on the bronco? I’d love to follow the build

Well, I don't think it really qualifies for IH8MUD posting but maybe I should do one on one of the Bronco sites. It should be an interesting build, we're going to install the new Ford "Godzilla" 7.3L V8 and 6R80 transmission which will be our first go-round with that combo. I've picked up a set of one-ton axles for it and will stuff those under the chassis with coilovers up front and Deaver long-travel springs in the rear with 35's or 37's depending on what I can fit without hacking up the fenders. It'll have a desert pre-runner vibe but probably get used for some camping trips and mountain touring out here. I'll be posting pics online once we get rolling on it and send you a link if I do a build thread on another site.

He's tried to buy the truck numerous times but this time I decided to let it go.
Brian is an awesome guy, happy it's going to him! Also means I get to see it more now!

Well, it was a big day yesterday. Brian from Goose Gear flew out to Denver and picked up the 60. Goose already has some products for the 60-series trucks but they have some new stuff in development that will be featured on this truck. It will debut at the Adventure Expo in SLC then be at Overland Expo West in Flagstaff. I guess we'll call this chapter closed but I'll keep posting a few pics once they get the interior build done. I'll probably want it back at that point. 😁

20210604_100804.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom