Gave the 100 a facelift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very nice, I like the paint as well :)

As has been mentioned before-- your truck looks amazing!

How have the lights held up over time? I have yellowing on my factory DRL cover thing and it looks horrible, and my factory rears are pristine so I have no reason to change them but for the updated looks!
My primary concern, though, is if I'd be changing for lesser quality parts--your thoughts?

@dad'swithcars

Funny you mention quality, just swapped them out for my old set. Condensation was building up in the passenger side headlight just out of no where and started pooling at the base of the housing.

I'll be checking for leaks and all that. Call me crazy but I prefer the beam pattern of the old housings more... oxidized reflectors and all. I may put them back on but we'll see, might try to find a set of OEM pieces instead.

Other than that they seem to be solidly built (EDIT: relatively speaking compared to other aftermarket manufacturers which haze over or leak from day one). The lenses show no signs of oxidation and are still crystal clear (though people probably have figured out my Cruiser is babied).

Last edited:
Condensation was building up in the passenger side headlight just out of no where and started pooling at the base of the housing.
Other than that they seem to be solidly built
How can this be? I would think the first sentence precludes the second.

hah-- and how about the rears?

PS-- when you're talking about oxidation-- do you mean the original glass fixtures had leaks? If so, I wonder can that be taken apart and fixed?
If you mean that the originals are plastic-- why not just polish them?

@dad'swithcars

Funny you mention quality, just swapped them out for my old set. Condensation was building up in the passenger side headlight just out of no where and started pooling at the base of the housing.

I'll be checking for leaks and all that. Call me crazy but I prefer the beam pattern of the old housings more... oxidized reflectors and all. I may put them back on but we'll see, might try to find a set of OEM pieces instead.

Other than that they seem to be solidly built, the lenses show no signs of oxidation and are still crystal clear (though people probably have figured out my Cruiser is babied).

How can this be? I would think the first sentence precludes the second.

I meant that relatively speaking. They're definitely built better than some aftermarket housings I've seen from other manufacturers like the ones you see on ebay (and not necessarily for the Land Cruiser). For the past year and a half I've had them I didn't have any problems until just recently.

@dadswithcars, the rears are discontinued.

The originals are glass and the lenses are in perfect condition... the reflectors on the original assemblies have oxidized into a silver patina vs a shiny mirror finish. I haven't had any leaks with the original housings.

If I were to do it again I'd pass and just buy OEM, unless you want the updated front end look for substantially less. I'll probably be searching for new two-piece OEM housings, which are now unfortunately, plastic instead of glass.

Last edited:
wow-- I'm new to the LC still (6months in!) and I thought the reflector on mine was supposed to be a matte silver, unlike other headlights I'm familiar with!
I've also got that bit in front of the DRL that's horribly yellowed.

So thank you-- sounds like skip the Depos for a long-term solution.

It seems Spyder makes a lurid black-covered one still, but I don't see the one you have. Seems like some other companies have a similar one, I wonder how well that will hold up.

wow-- I'm new to the LC still (6months in!) and I thought the reflector on mine was supposed to be a matte silver, unlike other headlights I'm familiar with!
I've also got that bit in front of the DRL that's horribly yellowed.

So thank you-- sounds like skip the Depos for a long-term solution.

It seems Spyder makes a lurid black-covered one still, but I don't see the one you have. Seems like some other companies have a similar one, I wonder how well that will hold up.

No problem. From what I know, Spyder discontinued the ones I have, but there are a few other manufacturers who emulate the 06-07 LX470 taillamp look.

With the DRL cover, do you mean the marker light cover? Because the DRLs are the highbeam bulbs on half power (or whatever power it is).

IMG_20150613_104014430_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Gentlemen, I have Stock Rear Taillights sitting around. Been debating selling em on ebay, but I will offer them here first. Columbia, MD.

In two weeks I will have my Stock Headlights replaced as well. Please contact me if you're interested in purchasing them.

Very nice. Those lights definitely freshen up your already immaculate Cruiser. Beautiful color as well. I’m jealous!

Just a quick update on this after four years... Both the front and back ends look like they did when I installed everything!

No leaks or cracks... tailights do get a tiny bit of condensation inside the lens when it's cold but nothing major, and I mean it's not even noticeable without even looking for it. It's a shame they're discontinued because they really are quality units.

20190725_222832.jpg

The headlights have held up well and I haven't experienced any fading/hazing. I still wish the beam pattern was better but I'm planning a proper HID retrofit sometime in the future. Keep in mind this is my second set of Depos, I swapped them out in 2016 for another set due to some minor condensation which (admittedly) turned out to be my fault.

20190725_222919.jpg

I also and went and updated the rear wiper after I sheared off the stud trying to get my old arm off to sand and repaint. I went with an OEM arm from the Alphard van sold overseas.

20190725_223011.jpg

There's a link to the thread that gave me the inspiration and that I posted in for more info:

Overall, I've been happy with these minor cosmetic mods... Can't believe it's been that long already, time sure flies!

Last edited:
Looks great! Wish my bumpers were that clean lol.

Did you have to cut on the trim below the headlight? Or just bolt on? Need help thanks

No trimming required, these are one-pieces designed to fit the pre-06 facelift 100s.

looks great with those lights and I love that color :)
20190815-DSC00676-L.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom