Gave the 100 a facelift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks great!

Thanks again. Now I just gotta aim these things, so far light output doesn't seem as "solid" as the old lamps did but that could be because of the aim.

Does anyone know if the 2004 FSM aiming directions still apply to the 2006+ models with the updated reflectors? I might just have one of the techs do it in the shop for me if I run outta time.

I'm impressed with how nice those tail lights look for being aftermarket and under $200! I looked at doing the conversion using OEM parts a few years back and I want to say it was well over $500 for the parts.

Sure looks good.
Yup OEM parts stealer price is over $700!!

I'm impressed with how nice those tail lights look for being aftermarket and under $200! I looked at doing the conversion using OEM parts a few years back and I want to say it was well over $500 for the parts.

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with them. Fit and finish seems to be pretty good, only time will tell. I will be keeping my old housings should I choose to go back to the "vintage" look... wow, these trucks are already 17 years old!

I did have a minor issue with them fitting on the lower hatch, when I tightened the bolts the side with the tabs pushed out again, so the seal wasn't so tight.

Ended up cannibalizing the seals from the old lamps and am going to be redoing the seal when I find a decent foam tape. Upon close inspection they look really ghetto, but it works for now!

Ended up readjusting the headlights. Will hopefully go out tonight and test them out if I'm not too tired.

Last edited:
Love the tails and heads, another thing to facelift to that 2003-2007 100 style is the grille. Going from black to silver.
Might be stupid thought, but if I want that new look on a 2001, can't I just paint the grille silver (find the right color code)

in lieu of buying the replacement OEM grille.
Has anyone straight painted it silver?

is light output improved?

In a way yes, in a way no. These headlights seem to have a brighter beam, although it's most likely because the reflectors are not oxidized to hell. The beam pattern isn't as consistent and full as the old units were especially with the high beams, but overall I think it's an improvement. The highbeams on the old units spread out a bit more on the sides, these are more concentrated straight ahead with a narrower beam of light.

I'll see if I can get a video one night with my GoPro and post it here. I still have to do some fine tuning as I think they're still adjusted too low, but I've been able to live with them for now.

As for the tails, in terms of braking they are definitely brighter as those use the LED bulbs. The turn signal uses the regular incandescent bulb and the reverse lights haven't really impressed me with their ability to light up the way.

I have the same feelings toward my new headlights, could be better, but definitely better than my stock units.

Yes, I think once they're dialed in they'll be pretty good. As for beam pattern, there are some spotty areas which are kind of shadowy so it's sort of annoying but overall I'm pleased. Time will tell how well they hold up, which is why I'm holding on to my old units... just in case.

I see from your signature you have the Depo fogs, how are they? Worth upgrading from OEM? I replaced both units in 2011 as the passenger side one had a water leak and was all rusted on the inside.

What's your detail routine? Parts/products used?

Passion and dedication :p But in all seriousness, it's mainly maintenance.

I was approached by a complete stranger the other day who asked how old my truck was. When I told him it was a '98 he refused to believe me and thought it was a repaint, which it's not. I told him that if he didn't want to believe that love and dedication to detailing can have results like this than that was his choice.

Usually every week I'll give it a hand wash and wipe down with a quick wax, usually Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax or PoorBoys. And every other wash job I'll give it a coat of wax/sealant, usually Meguiars 21. When I rinse it, I use the sheeting method of hosing it off so there's less water left on the paint and then use my Metro Vac/Blow to blow dry the rest of the water off before wiping it down.t

My trick is to not let things get too bad, and usually I can't because I'm so anal about things. Every spring and fall I'll go throughout the whole vehicle, claybar the exterior, and seal it up with sealant and then a coat of carnauba wax to top it. I only had to buff this once and that's after I went through an automatic (swirl-o-matic) carwash and swirled the hell out of my paint. If I do have to buff I have a Porter Cable Dual Action polisher which has been through hell and back detailing my customer's vehicles, but it's still runs like a champ. If I'm in a rush I'll apply the wax with it, but I usually try to do it by hand.

I wax the door jambs, behind the headlamps and taillights, and those other areas that most people wouldn't think of. I'll steam clean the engine compartment and dress all hoses and plastics. Usually the interior is the easiest because it's just me in the thing most of the time, and I have the Husky Liners which are also 17 years old and still in perfect shape which keep the carpeting clean. The leather on these trucks never amazed me, so just keeping them clean and conditioned is the key.

With rust being prevalent in the northeast, I'll usually go underneath with a wire wheel, grind off all the rust and repaint everything - no it's far from perfect, but 17 years old in the rust belt can be pretty taxing to any vehicle. It helped that I worked at dealership detailing departments for the past 5 years so winter washes and waxings were free and plentiful.

I have to remove the roof rack at some point because the paint is chipping off of it, and it's so grayed and dull that only repainting it would help, and I'm not going to do that if I can help it.

I remember when we first got this thing, twelve days before my tenth birthday in 1998, my father was very adamant about keeping it clean and maintained.

There's a lot more to it than that, but if I wrote down every single thing I do then my post would be five pages long ;).

Cheers,

Rich

IMG_20150909_113128260_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
image.jpg
Passion and dedication :p But in all seriousness, it's mainly maintenance.

I was approached by a complete stranger the other day who asked how old my truck was. When I told him it was a '98 he refused to believe me and thought it was a repaint. I told him that if he didn't want to believe that love and dedication to detailing can have results like this than that was his choice.

Usually every week I'll give it a hand wash and wipe down with a quick wax, usually Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax or PoorBoys. And every other wash job I'll give it a coat of wax/sealant, usually Meguiars 21. When I rinse it, I use the sheeting method of hosing it off so there's less water left on the paint and then use my Metro Vac/Blow to blow dry the rest of the water off before wiping it down.t

My trick is to not let things get too bad, and usually I can't because I'm so anal about things. Every spring and fall I'll go throughout the whole vehicle, claybar the exterior, and seal it up with sealant and then a coat of carnauba wax to top it. I only had to buff this once and that's after I went through an automatic (swirl-o-matic) carwash and swirled the hell out of my paint. If I do have to buff I have a Porter Cable Dual Action polisher which has been through hell and back detailing my customer's vehicles, but it's still runs like a champ. If I'm in a rush I'll apply the wax with it, but I usually try to do it by hand.

I wax the door jambs, behind the headlamps and taillights, and those other areas that most people wouldn't think of. I'll steam clean the engine compartment and dress all hoses and plastics. Usually the interior is the easiest because it's just me in the thing most of the time, and I have the Husky Liners which are also 17 years old and still in perfect shape which keep the carpeting clean. The leather on these trucks never amazed me, so just keeping them clean and conditioned is the key.

With rust being prevalent in the northeast, I'll usually go underneath with a wire wheel, grind off all the rust and repaint everything - no it's far from perfect, but 17 years old in the rust belt can be pretty taxing to any vehicle. It helped that I worked at dealership detailing departments for the past 5 years so winter washes and waxings were free and plentiful.

I have to remove the roof rack at some point because the paint is chipping off of it, and it's so grayed and dull that only repainting it would help, and I'm not going to do that if I can help it.

I remember when we first got this thing, twelve days before my tenth birthday in 1998, my father was very adamant about keeping it clean and maintained.

There's a lot more to it than that, but if I wrote down every single thing I do then my post would be five pages long ;).

Cheers,

Rich

View attachment 1134953

We have very similar routines! Nattys Blue and Chemical Guys topcoat sealant for protection on mine. Maguires wash two bucket method and weekly cleanings when possible. Your truck is looking beautiful! Mines a 99 with 160k miles. The OCD struggle is real! (Not trying to hijack your thread)

Cheers, Rich
Great posting. Great thread. Thanks for sharing, so far.
Waiting for the 5 pages.
Hint, hint.

View attachment 1135001

We have very similar routines! Nattys Blue and Chemical Guys topcoat sealant for protection on mine. Maguires wash two bucket method and weekly cleanings when possible. Your truck is looking beautiful! Mines a 99 with 160k miles. The OCD struggle is real! (Not trying to hijack your thread)

Awesome looking 99 you got there! I've always liked the green, when we bought ours there was black, green, blue, and the mahogany pearl available on the lot... my mom and dad liked the mahogany pearl the best so that's what we drove off with! I assume clear corner lamps for the front? I thought about doing that but then when I saw how badly my reflectors were oxidized, I just decided to buy new assemblies.

Coming home from my mom's last night I went through a constant cloud of bugs, so my entire front end is plastered with them. If it didn't have the stinkbug stance before I do now because of the extra 70 pounds of bug s*** sprayed all over the front end!:crybaby:

Has anyone else bought these headlights and found them to be a bit spotty in areas?

Awesome looking 99 you got there! I've always liked the green, when we bought ours there was black, green, blue, and the mahogany pearl available on the lot... my mom and dad liked the mahogany pearl the best so that's what we drove off with! I assume clear corner lamps for the front? I thought about doing that but then when I saw how badly my reflectors were oxidized, I just decided to buy new assemblies.

Coming home from my mom's last night I went through a constant cloud of bugs, so my entire front end is plastered with them. If it didn't have the stinkbug stance before I do now because of the extra 70 pounds of bug s*** sprayed all over the front end!:crybaby:

Has anyone else bought these headlights and found them to be a bit spotty in areas?

I added the clear corners about 2 months after getting it. I'm still running the stock headlights since they are in decent shape. Is the output better with the new one piece lights?

I see from your signature you have the Depo fogs, how are they? Worth upgrading from OEM? I replaced both units in 2011 as the passenger side one had a water leak and was all rusted on the inside.

I like them a lot. They're just as good as the OEM fogs, IMO. I needed new ones anyway because my OEM lenses were oxidized beyond repair, so the cost of these seemed like a good investment. Not to mention I really like the extra LEDs in the Deop fogs. I tied those to my driving lights and I think it looks really good. I'll actually be really sad to ditch them when I go to a steel bumper at some point. Contemplating going through the trouble of cutouts for the stock fogs so I can reuse them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom